Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dme - hnl - osl

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Dme - hnl - osl

Hi,

I've bagged free accommodation in HNL for Christmas and New Year so seen as its been a while since I was that part of the globe and the house is a freebie for me, what the heck!!
I've been looking at GF last few days and looks like GOT-LHR-PHL-LAX-HNL return is coming in just under £2,100:00. I then looked at DME and see I can get just under £2k pretty much using the same route give or take a few European cities on the way back which for me just adds to the fun of it (oh and the TP's!!).

The itinerary I've looked at is this:
DME-LHR BA 236 A321 Lie Flat
LHR-MAN BA 1386 A320
MAN-PHL AA 735 B767 Lie Flat
PHL-LAX AA 1997 A321 Standard Recliner
LAX-HNL AA 240 A321 Standard Recliner
HNL-PHX AA 693 A330 Lie Flat
PHX-PHL AA 854 A321 Standard Recliner
PHL-LHR BA 66 B747 Lie Flat
LHR-HEL AY 1332 A350 Lie Flat
HEL-OSL AY 915 A320

The irony of this is the 'package' works out cheaper as I can use Avios to get an Economy one way (£.50p additional charges) out to DME if I get the BA237 arriving into DME at 0420 local time. This flight then becomes the BA236 which is the initial flight in my itinerary to LHR. Can anyone foresee any obstacles with this plan? My theory is this, providing I check-in online for BA236 DME-LHR and as I'll be HBO then my theory is on arrival into DME all I have to do is move from Economy to Club World. Or is it that just too simple?

Assuming AY915 gets into Oslo at 16:35 that gives me 3.5 hrs to get the 20:10 BA to LHR for £62.

As always the collective wisdom and insight on this forum is valued and appreciated.

Thanks
ML
Old May 12, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
I think you'll need a Russian visa for that plan
Old May 12, 2019, 10:44 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
You won’t be able to B2B in Russia. You can travel without a visa if on a connecting flight to another country, but a B2B doesn’t count as a connecting flight.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: BA; SQ; Hyatt; Hilton
Originally Posted by madfish
You won’t be able to B2B in Russia. You can travel without a visa if on a connecting flight to another country, but a B2B doesn’t count as a connecting flight.
I know there have been threads on this before. Out of interest, is the issue:

1) a visa is required, unless transiting to a third country - solution get a visa or book a throw-away connection to a third country (from DME);
2) you wouldn't be permitted boarding by BA without a visa - solution probably the same; and/or
3) it physically isn't possible or safe to B2B at DME because of the time required.
Old May 13, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
and good luck explaining the concept of a back-to-back to Russian immigration...
Old May 13, 2019, 6:03 am

Also - for the sake of an extra 40TPs, why risk the LHR to MAN leg? If something goes wrong and you mis-connect elsewhere on your trip (LHR, PHL or LAX) there are lots of alternatives; if you miss the AA flight out of Manchester, you're almost certainly getting delayed by a whole day; and you'd be taking on all that risk to switch from a BA 747 to PHL (Upper Deck Club World, anyone?) onto the Manchester 767 with AA which is a much weaker product for the Transatlantic leg??
Old May 13, 2019, 6:03 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by ratypus
and good luck explaining the concept of a back-to-back to Russian immigration...
there's no immigration if you wanted to do back-to-back at DME, the problem is with BA who won't let you fly back-to-back without valid documents to enter Russia.
Old May 13, 2019, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
yes several threads about DME and back to backs.

Apparently the Russians don't regard a B2B back to the UK as meeting the requirements for a transit visa which is going on to a 3rd country.

Not sure messing about with a throw away ticket is the best idea when the Russians are involved!

I think the fact that DME isn't listed in the B2B thread is rather telling that it's not possible (though that could be an honest omission)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...tinations.html
Old May 13, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Pay slightly more for Gothenburg
Old May 13, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: BA; SQ; Hyatt; Hilton
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Pay slightly more for Gothenburg
But fewer tier points. The visa is about the same as the price difference (though a lot of admin hassle and the OP might want to overnight if a B2B is logistically difficult, which has additional costs).
Old May 13, 2019, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by mgiarc
I know there have been threads on this before. Out of interest, is the issue:

1) a visa is required, unless transiting to a third country - solution get a visa or book a throw-away connection to a third country (from DME);
2) you wouldn't be permitted boarding by BA without a visa - solution probably the same; and/or
3) it physically isn't possible or safe to B2B at DME because of the time required.
1. Yes a visa is required to enter Russia, the only exception would be if you were transiting on Aeroflot or another airline onto another country on the same itinerary.

2. BA will not let you get on a flight to Russia without a Visa check. You can’t even pass security in T5 without it being checked and updated in the system. My understanding is that it is their responsibility to bring you straight back if you fail to gain entry to Russia, so they want to avoid this, as it involves costs and could involve booting off another passenger on a full flight.

3. Haven’t been to DME, but I wouldn’t try it at LED, where I’ve been multiple times. You can’t online check in in Russia, so you have to do the full terminal experience to get your return boarding pass.

Also, simply put, as a British citizen at the moment, I just wouldn’t want to give them any excuse to question you or put yourself in a situation where you have to explain what you’re doing. On departure they usually ask what you’ve been doing in Russia and I suspect to most Russian border staff trying to explain B2b would lead to further questioning.
Old May 13, 2019, 8:34 am

I have done several back to backs at DME this year, and most recently 2 weeks ago.

I can confirm it is an excellent location to do them, as long as a valid Russian visa is held, you have the return boarding pass before arriving at DME, and you are HBO.

Simply proceed to the international transfer security checkpoint, show your return boarding pass and you exit into the departures area of the airport.

Aircraft layovers at DME are at least 1hr 20mins, so there is plenty of time to visit the lounge.

Usually I am asked why I am returning straight back to LHR, but I simply explain I am doing it for miles and points.

But it is pointless attempting it without a Russian visa as BA will not let you board at LHR.
Old May 13, 2019, 9:17 am

I think if you factor in the cost of the Russian Visa, you may as well go for the Swedish option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.