Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago or Toronto

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Chicago or Toronto

Looking for advice from BA experts out there. We’re looking to use our final 241 and 140,000 avios balance for a child-free 4/5 night break next June. We haven’t been to many North American cities, but loved New York. Ideally we want somewhere we can easily book first class (probably our only opportunity to experience this)and also has a half decent Radisson, as I have loads of points!

Currently thinking about Toronto (including a day trip to Niagara) or Chicago (heard it’s a great city and the Radisson Blu looks fab). We enjoy general sightseeing, the odd museum and good food!

Any thoughts or recommendations, or other places we should consider?
Old May 12, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG
I've not been to Toronto myself, but can vouch for Chicago being a fantastic city to visit. A pleasant contrast to New York which you've already noted, but with nowhere near the same number of tourists. It's very walkable, the Radisson Blu you mention is in a perfect location, and the food scene is strong also.

I recall reading on these threads that Toronto is seeing less flights with the First cabin, so that may help steer things towards Chicago as well.
BearX220 likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 10:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I would say that in a sense you can't go wrong. Both are interesting cities, fairly compact in the middle, and with lots of things to see and do. In the fullness of time you should do both cities. Chicago has world class architecture, Toronto is perhaps more staid with colonial overtones, but with great shopping and dining options. Indeed getting to Niagara Falls is quite straight forward, if you walk into the USA over the bridge you will find it calmer and less tacky over there! If there were children in the equation I would tend to Toronto because the Falls will be something they will never forget. Two great cities to visit.
Old May 12, 2019, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Toronto! You’ll fly A350 and New Club World if you take the earlier flight
Old May 12, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
By a strange quirk, I am visiting both cities over the next fortnight

I'll try to remember to post which I preferred!
Old May 12, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: BAEC, FB, QANTAS, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, AVIS Preferred, MRAeS
Chicago, for me, wins hands down. I definitely prefer eating out there. Millenium Park and Navy Pier are worth a look. I highly recommend the Architectural River Tour. If you like live music there are some great venues in and around the city. Magnificent Mile great for shopping. There's probably not much in it Hotels wise.
BearX220, GLA, sofasurfer and 3 others like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 10:42 am
Original Poster

The A350 in club could be tempting too, at least if first isn’t available on the later flight we can try that instead. What are the general thoughts on taking new CW over first? We don’t have status and due to the Amex changes are unlikely to make any more avios trips, so the avios difference isn’t a factor. We’re also flying from Ncl, so will have the lounge experience both ways.

Gastrocnemius - I’ll look forward to your feedback, given it will be a similar time of year I expect it will be very useful.
Gastrocnemius likes this.

Last edited by trvllvr123; May 12, 2019 at 10:53 am Reason: punctuation
Old May 12, 2019, 10:47 am
Suspended

Can a 241 be used on AA’s daytime ORD-LHR flight with a BA code?
Old May 12, 2019, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richardwft
Can a 241 be used on AA’s daytime ORD-LHR flight with a BA code?
No, BA metal only
FlyerTalker39574 likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Silver
Chicago is my 3rd favorite city in the US after Boston & Washington DC.
Have been there 3 times and stayed 2 of them at the Radisson. The only thing less ideal of the hotel is the distance to any L-station. With bags when arriving from or going to the airport it’s an inconvenient walk. But for exploring the city it’s a great spot close to the magnificent mile and millenium park.
Also some top class museums in Chicago.
BearX220 and vibrex like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Kid free I’d recommend Las Vegas always
Old May 12, 2019, 11:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by trvllvr123
The A350 in club could be tempting too, at least if first isn’t available on the later flight we can try that instead. What are the general thoughts on taking new CW over first? We don’t have status and due to the Amex changes are unlikely to make any more avios trips, so the avios difference isn’t a factor. We’re also flying from Ncl, so will have the lounge experience both ways.

Gastrocnemius - I’ll look forward to your feedback, given it will be a similar time of year I expect it will be very useful?
Perhaps try for First out and Club on the way back?

My vote would be for Toronto. It's one of my regular trips (business and pleasure) some great eateries and sights. Niagara Falls is a must (90 minutes away by bus), I never tire of visiting there.
etiene likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Kid free I’d recommend Las Vegas always
I’m sure many would! It’s not somewhere I’ve ever fancied though.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Toronto! You’ll fly A350 and New Club World if you take the earlier flight
A350 is gone after Mar.28. 789 and 777 from then onwards. Same as when the 788 was first introduced on the YYZ route

Last edited by Crampedin13A; May 12, 2019 at 11:41 am
Old May 12, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
My vote would be for Toronto. It's one of my regular trips (business and pleasure) some great eateries and sights. Niagara Falls is a must (90 minutes away by bus), I never tire of visiting there.
Niagara on the Lake is a pretty town too, I'd much rather visit there than the falls. There is a wine industry in the Niagara region, you can do some wine tours in the area if that's your thing.

Both cities are interesting and worth a visit, but I'd probably give an edge to Toronto over Chicago if I had to choose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.