Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago or Toronto

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Both are great. Niagara Falls on the Canadian side is every bit as tacky as cws said. Though I'd recommend embracing that and booking a room in the revolving hotel!
Old May 12, 2019, 11:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by trvllvr123
The A350 in club could be tempting too, at least if first isn’t available on the later flight we can try that instead. What are the general thoughts on taking new CW over first? We don’t have status and due to the Amex changes are unlikely to make any more avios trips, so the avios difference isn’t a factor. We’re also flying from Ncl, so will have the lounge experience both ways.
In the early days (ie in the month of October 2019), I am not sure it's necessarily a good idea. Every time a new aircraft comes out then the crew need some time to adjust to the aircraft, it's a huge effort just to find everything. So while it's an Avgeek treat (and so I'm not doing what I'm advocating, I will be trying it out very soon after the launch) I don't think you and your partner would necessarily find it so good. You may be waiting a long time to get food and/or drink. After a few months that will get ironed out.

There is the aircraft consideration. In First then 777 isn't quite so bad, but nothing will improve the noise and air quality on that aircraft. The A380 is really good in First, lots of space and a seniority of clunkiness to it. The 787 gets mixed views, personally I like it due to the aircraft air and noise quality, and the First cabin is very intimate. Others find it cramped and you can do buddy dining in it. Finally you can never go wrong with the amazing and undisputed Queen of the Skies.
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Make a list of the things you want to see in and around both cities. Look at the relevant destination boards here on FT for more ideas.

Then decide based on your research on what suits your family and their interests.
Old May 12, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Toronto is a great city. Apart from Niagara Falls and Niagara on the lake you have

Toronto Islands ( great to hire a bike and cycle the trails)
Casa Loma
Royal Ontario Museum
CN Tower and lots of old railway carriages/wagons nearby ( I did love the changing lights up the tower at night)
Fort York
The Old Distillery district ( lots of restaurants/bars and speciality shops in old renovated buildings) was a hidden gem on my last visit in 2017.
Rogers Stadium (skydome) for Baseball if in season)
Chicago would be great also ( never been but it is on my to do list)
Regards

TBS

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; May 12, 2019 at 3:24 pm
Old May 12, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Toronto is a great city. Apart from Niagara Falls and Niagara on the lake you have

Toronto Islands ( great to hire a bike and cycle the trails)
Casa Loma
Royal Ontario Museum
CN Tower and lots of old railway carriages/wagons nearby
Fort York
The Old Distillery district ( lots of restaurants/bars and speciality shops in old renovated buildings) was a hidden gem on my last visit in 2017.

Chicago would be great also ( never been but it is on my to do list)
Regards

TBS
We're heading that way in March, so perhaps not the most favourable for weather... What's the best way to get to the falls and Niagara on the Lake? I'm comfortable driving but wonder if a snowdump might make things difficult.

(Also apologies for hijacking the thread but I'm sure it's useful!)
Old May 12, 2019, 12:01 pm

Was in Chicago last year and thought it was fantastic in No Particular order some thoughts:

Get the A380 flight if you're going at that time of the year when it operates. I am a big of seat 53k as it's direct aisle on the UD.

The architectural boat tour is superb, the guides are so knowledgeable.

Sears (Now Willis) Tower excellent views from the top and they also have the glass boxes with a glass floor.

A downtown thats easy to walk around whilst at the same time having lots to explore.

If you like sport especially baseball you're in luck. Wrigley Field where the cubs play is one of the few remaining old fashioned stadiums.

Cheap public transport and you can get the "L" train from ORD into town.
​​​​​​
Only negative for me is that I found deep dish to be terrible.
Old May 12, 2019, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by bigwalrus
We're heading that way in March, so perhaps not the most favourable for weather... What's the best way to get to the falls and Niagara on the Lake? I'm comfortable driving but wonder if a snowdump might make things difficult.

(Also apologies for hijacking the thread but I'm sure it's useful!)
Hi,

You can drive ( this would give you most flexibility) or you could take a bus tour ( some tours may stop at Niagara on the lake) or a train to Niagara Falls ( limited service IIRC ie some in the morning and some in the evening)- not sure about March weather though.

Regards

TBS
bigwalrus likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Make a list of the things you want to see in and around both cities. Look at the relevant destination boards here on FT for more ideas.

Then decide based on your research on what suits your family and their interests.
Good plan, at the minute the main priorities are somewhere we haven’t been before (I’ve been to Toronto, but I was at primary school, so don’t think that counts), first class flights and a walkable city. My husband loves photography so the opportunity to take a photo or two would go down well.

I’m veering towards Toronto, perhaps spending 3 or 4 nights in Toronto and then hiring a car and spending a night in a B&B at Niagara on the lake before heading back to the airport.

However I’ve never been on an A380, so that’s a pro for Chicago!

Last edited by trvllvr123; May 12, 2019 at 12:17 pm
Old May 12, 2019, 12:13 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by trvllvr123
. My husband loves photography so the opportunity to take a photo or two would go down we’ll.
That swings you to Chicago. The buildings and cityscape is amazing.
wrp96 and vibrex like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That swings you to Chicago. The buildings and cityscape is amazing.
It looks like we won’t go wrong with either option, so I may just see which one has avios first class availability and let fate make the decision. We’ll be flexible on dates (my babysitters/parents are keeping June free until we’ve booked!)
Old May 12, 2019, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by LCY8737
..Niagara Falls on the Canadian side is every bit as tacky as cws said. ..
Indeed, reminds me of Las Vegas.
Old May 12, 2019, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Transplanted Chicago resident weighing in. I've never lived in a better US city. Museums, lakefronts, beaches, some of the best restaurants on the planet, parks and concerts, a different festival each weekend, blues clubs, river life, architecture galore, lovely diverse people... no end to the attractions. And OP is coming in June; Chicago does summer better than anyplace I have ever seen. (Because everyone knows the deep freeze will be back in a few months.) Toronto is very nice but Chicago is like nowhere else. If OP does the deal, PM me and we'll go out for a beer.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: VIPorter First, BA GGL, DL Plat, Golden Circle Elite
As a Toronto resident, I can assure you it's a much better choice than Chicago. However, why not do both? For $200 CAD you can fly one-way from Toronto Island to Midway. Just do an open jaw on the 2-4-1.
Old May 12, 2019, 1:17 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Indeed, reminds me of Las Vegas.
That is exactly what my dear (now departed) father said to me the first time I took him! If that’s not a scene that pleases perhaps choose a hotel in the Fallsview area and avoid Clifton Hill, or a day trip from Toronto.
Old May 12, 2019, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kellytoronto
As a Toronto resident, I can assure you it's a much better choice than Chicago. However, why not do both? For $200 CAD you can fly one-way from Toronto Island to Midway. Just do an open jaw on the 2-4-1.
Nice idea, but as we’re limited to 4, or possibly 5, nights we’ll probably go for one or the other. My husband hates airports, so would be less than impressed if I added another flight to the itinerary!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.