Search

GGL and App

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
GGL and App

Hi

My flights on Thursday took me past 5000 annual TP for the first time in my 22 year travel life - until three years ago I had never even made bronze! My lifetime TP are around 13000.

Now that I have 5000 for the year (5150) am I likely to see any changes in the BA iPhone app?

Many thanks

Jim
Old May 12, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
Hi

My flights on Thursday took me past 5000 annual TP for the first time in my 22 year travel life - until three years ago I had never even made bronze! My lifetime TP are around 13000.

Now that I have 5000 for the year (5150) am I likely to see any changes in the BA iPhone app?

Many thanks

Jim
Yes , you will constantly get a sinking feeling looking at a big gold iceberg on your account screen.
Old May 12, 2019, 2:01 am
Original Poster

And the fear of impending doom at my reset date
Woodbinerich likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
In other words, not much difference. At the top of your home screen, it will say Mr/Ms HighwaytoHEL, Gold Guest List executive gold member, and the same on your account page. As you probably know, BAEC does not actually consider GGL a membership level so you don't get the same iconography of change as when you moved from Bronze to Silver, or from Silver to Gold. It also means that if you don't requalify and don't hit 1500 TPs, your soft landing will be to silver, not to gold.
Old May 12, 2019, 2:18 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Many congratulations and welcome to the list.

Your card from the app will have the GGL on it and you can look down on those DYKWIA people who demand things for being Gold.

In all seriousness, partner cards and CCR card are the big difference, as well as the 24/7 GGL line, IRROPS handling and the occasional VIP treatment at some airports. Oh and the ability to take 5 people into the lounge, useful for family or group travel and the occasional invite to an event.

The question is, is it worth it? If you continue to fly at this level exclusive of TP runs then perhaps.
bisonrav likes this.

Last edited by navylad; May 12, 2019 at 2:33 am
Old May 12, 2019, 2:28 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Definitely the GGL line is the main thing that changes. The app works (or mostly doesn't) as it was before, but the ability to call someone and have something done reliably without worrying about it is brilliant. For example one flight where it was obvious I'd be in plenty of time to pick up another flight on a different ticket I called from the plane on the ground and asked them to switch me, on landing it was all done without any messing around at the airport.

And jokers/gufs are great too.

The sheer joy of taking your boss into the CCR on a quick trip to Frankfurt is also a lot of fun.

Congratulations on the achievement - you now need to plan an AUH->CGK or three for next year to keep it going of course... Having said I wouldn't go past 3500 points this year, I am on course for CCR again by accident (more work trips than expected), but that's not worth the extra travel.
Old May 12, 2019, 4:56 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by bisonrav
you now need to plan an AUH->CGK or three for next year to keep it going of course...
Have I missed something? What is the AUH-CGK deal about?
Old May 12, 2019, 5:10 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
as others have said, the app isn't really much different than when you're Gold. The mobile BPs look exactly the same as Gold and the only real difference is the account screen where you have a golden mountain rather than what you have for Gold ( a cityscape??) The virtual card in the app also has a crown and the GL letters.. I think that's it! Congrats, BTW
Old May 12, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by LCY8737
AUH to CGK via CMB is 560 TP for about £620. You can get a WTP JER or INV -> LHR -> AUH ->LHR for about £450 I think, with modest price promise potential which will just about pay the positioning flight, but the big caution is the political situation in CMB obviously.
Old May 12, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by LCY8737
AUH to CGK via CMB is 560 TP for about £620. You can get a WTP JER or INV -> LHR -> AUH ->LHR for about £450 I think, with modest price promise potential which will just about pay the positioning flight, but the big caution is the political situation in CMB obviously.
More details and a list of "runners" in the thread Oneworld: UL: DXB-CGK in J, $800 R/T
Old May 12, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Thank you. Interesting.
Old May 12, 2019, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

My app just updated. I now see the relevance of the gold iceberg
Old May 12, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA Blue Soon, HH Diamond, SQ PPS Solitaire, EK Plat,
Definitely the GGL line is the main thing that changes. The app works (or mostly doesn't) as it was before, but the ability to call someone and have something done reliably without worrying about it is brilliant. For example one flight where it was obvious I'd be in plenty of time to pick up another flight on a different ticket I called from the plane on the ground and asked them to switch me, on landing it was all done without any messing around at the airport.

And jokers/gufs are great too.

The sheer joy of taking your boss into the CCR on a quick trip to Frankfurt is also a lot of fun.

Congratulations on the achievement - you now need to plan an AUH->CGK or three for next year to keep it going of course... Having said I wouldn't go past 3500 points this year, I am on course for CCR again by accident (more work trips than expected), but that's not worth the extra travel.
Couldn’t agree more. Every time I have rung the GGL line I have gone straight through to someone in Manchester who can help me straight away and are only limited by the speed of their IT.
Of course I don’t discount the other benefits but this is the one that makes me want to keep the status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.