Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Its not very German at Tegel

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Its not very German at Tegel

A little off topic but just back from a weekend in Berlin, flights and hotel courtesy of BA on points

The BA bit very good, lounges at both ends well stocked with drinks, and not too well stocked with other travellers. Plane early both ways.

Tegal though, oh dear what a mess nothing like the normal German efficiency. Baggage carousel at the gate, rather than with others in a reclaim area. Passport control also at the gate with two guys doing their best but big queues. We were first off, our 'priority luggage' was last off, the baggage carousel if not big enough to hold all the luggage at once. Result we had to wait for the majority of passengers to clear passports and collect their bags before ours could enter the carousel, 35 minutes wasted.

One to watch for the return flight. The lounge will give you a 40 call to the gate, ours was no more than 5 minutes away. The lounge though is outside security, with that and passports again singular at the gate. Long queues again with the full 40 mins used and us getting on the plane last.

Berlin, fantastic. Great city and well worth a weekend.
Old May 9, 2019, 1:47 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The thing is, the regulars will miss Tegel when the new BER airport opens up (hopefully while Commercial Aviation is still a recognised feature of travel). The layout and style is pure Cold War and once you get the hang of it I find a very easy airport to use, remarkably so given Berlin is one of the great global cities. These regulars would also be Hand Baggage Only, so they would be getting to Zoo Station 30 minutes after landing or less. In the meantime the cramped layout does indeed mean you need to be ready to duck, ready to dive.

For departure, just turn up at the gate around 25 minutes before departure, they won't leave until the queue is processed.
Old May 9, 2019, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Tegel regular here...

I go through this airport several times a week. As I have posted elsewhere, you just need to understand how the system works and use that to your advantage. All formalities (security and, if relevant, passport check) happen at each gate on departure. Lounges are landside. So you need to get a feel for when it’s time to leave the lounge. If you’re flying in a premium cabin, leave it to the end, if in economy make sure not to be at the end of the gate queue.

For arrivals, you really can’t beat this airport. I’m a regular on the UA direct flight to/from EWR. From wheels-down it’s about three minutes to the gate, off in another two or three, and without bags I’m in a taxi in under ten minutes from landing. Then it’s about 12 minutes home. You just need to figure the airport out. BER would be a pain!
Old May 9, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
I quite like the Tegel setup although I'm far from an expert in terms of precisely calibrating my departure from the lounge. I'm always HBO and appreciate the short distance from jetway to taxi rank. Rather less keen on the experience for arrivals from LCY with the busing, though.
Old May 9, 2019, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
I quite like the Tegel setup although I'm far from an expert in terms of precisely calibrating my departure from the lounge. I'm always HBO and appreciate the short distance from jetway to taxi rank. Rather less keen on the experience for arrivals from LCY with the busing, though.
The Tegel bussing is dreadful. This is why I try to avoid EW flights here.
Old May 9, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
It's been quite a while since LCY arrivals were bussed. They usually use gate 12 now.

I love the layout of Tegel, especially for arrivals. As long as you're at or near the front of the plane (my usual place is the second row of ET) you can be off the plane, through immigration and onto the 128 bus in under five minutes. I rarely have checked luggage, but the last time I did it appeared in less than 10 minutes - and the priority tagged bags came off first.

I'll miss Tegel when BER opens, although with direct S-Bahn and regional train services it probably won't take that much longer to get there.
Markie and woodiee like this.
Old May 9, 2019, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Tegel is fascinating. Agree on the cramped passport line, but luckily i was near the front of economy for the EWR-TXL flights (and maybe in a different bank than the UK flights). But indeed, EW flights are just crazy - walk across to another terminal, a super thorough screening, and onto a 10 minute plus bus ride to a tiny plane.

Still spent a ton of quality time in the Lufthansa Senator lounge. Would do it again.
Old May 9, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
well well well, Berlin based German here...

what should I say. Since our normal german efficiency isnt able to finish our new BER airport since 2006, we have to deal with it.

Welcome to Tegel.... as usual i fly HBO so I really really enjoy the short ways and walks. but yeah, with baggages its not very comfy.
wrp96 and nilsfr69 like this.
Old May 9, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Another massive Tegel fan here. If HBO, you can be in a taxi within 90 seconds of doors opening - literally walk down jetbridge, present passport, walk out of door & cross over to taxi rank!

The BA lounge is also decent too - that bit off to the left immediately on entering is my favourite.

Now if only they’d install a bag drop in the lounge...

I appreciate it’s a very busy, cramped airport but it isn’t all bad!
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Berlin is not Germany 😁
EJetter and nilsfr69 like this.
Old May 9, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by dougzz
Berlin is not Germany 😁
This. German efficiency hadn't yet reached much of Berlin!

I will miss Tegel if they ever open Brandenburg.
Old May 9, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Quirky airport. Love it. But not the most efficient. That said, with the exception of MUC I've never been overly impressed with German airports.
Old May 9, 2019, 5:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
Quirky airport. Love it. But not the most efficient. That said, with the exception of MUC I've never been overly impressed with German airports.
So you like the idea of an airport having its own brewery?
Old May 9, 2019, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by dougzz
Berlin is not Germany 😁
Indeed it isn't , but Berlin is in Germany
Old May 9, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Indeed it isn't , but Berlin is in Germany
It's once again the capitol of Germany.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.