Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Running in T5

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA Exec [Silver], BA Amex Premium
I've often wondered why more airports don't have gyms. Not huge ones, just small ones that charge by the hour at major hubs like T5. Surely they'd make more than some of the shops that are there.
Old May 4, 2019, 1:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by scottishscrooge
I've often wondered why more airports don't have gyms. Not huge ones, just small ones that charge by the hour at major hubs like T5. Surely they'd make more than some of the shops that are there.
I checked this out the other day, there is plenty of space at the T5B area around the passageway level towards the lift - they could build quite a large gym there with the unused space. I don't see the need for the gym to necessarily occupy some prime real estate area, but something decent on level -4 would be a great alternatives to lounge life.
wrp96, squawk, pacenotes and 2 others like this.
Old May 4, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: BA, LY, QF, UA, HH
Occasionally your first flight is delayed enough that you get the opportunity to really sprint around the terminal.
msm2000uk and HighwayToHEL like this.
Old May 4, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum
I also walk the tunnels if i have time, it’s a great way to get the steps up. I do always surface at both B & C gates and do a circuit of each departures area before continuing on my merry way. This helps to make the walk a little longer and gives me something to look at (The aircraft at the gates... ok i’m a geek and like looking a aircraft), it’s healthier than just sitting in the lounge eating and drinking.
FoxtrotOscar likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I have done loops around T5B & T5C before. Only works when there is not hordes of passengers though

I only discovered the tunnels in January this year, that would have made life much easier!

Need to fine something for Gatwick now
dcmike likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
If you go out there is loads of areas to the west of T5. I walk and cycle around there a lot. It’s quiet enough except for a plane every 2 mins but just north west there is a nature park which has a lovely view on top of a small hill back over Heathrow.
Thats if if you do go land side other wise the tunnels it is for you.

also +1 on airport gyms!!
Old May 4, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
+1 on gyms

OP - you on Strava? If so create some segments for the tunnels
Old May 4, 2019, 4:06 pm

Go to the Sofitel and use their gym.
Old May 4, 2019, 5:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rapidex
Hiddy might get close to that plus 1 day.
I'm more of a cyclist than a runner so I suspect you're right.

I've cycled to, from and around quite a few airports in my time, some more bicycle friendly than others. YVR and CPH are fondly remembered. Not sure I'd fancy cycling/running outside LHR though.
rapidex likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite, HH Diamond
I wonder how long it will take after OP gets spotted running in the tunnel and someone posts on FT complaining "someone in full running kit just shoved me in the tunnel and kept running!!! I don't remember too much since I had a few LPGS but how rude!!!"
HIDDY and wrp96 like this.
Old May 4, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Go to the Sofitel and use their gym.
Their treadmills were not the best the last I was there
Old May 4, 2019, 9:59 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Better exercise is to run down the travellators the wrong way!
FoxtrotOscar and ppp909 like this.
Old May 5, 2019, 12:38 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Last week, walking from A to B, I saw a guy running in the opposite direction - so it’s certainly something that does happen, albeit pretty rarely. I’d have to say more than a couple of reps of the tunnels would probably drive me insane - although I’m someone who hates running out and backs - but unfortunately even if you venture outside the confines of the terminal the roads around are pretty nondescript, so there’s no great advantage in doing so.

The air quality in the tunnels is probably immeasurably better than on the pavements outside as well ...
Old May 5, 2019, 12:49 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
EY has a decent gym in the F Lounge at AUH with 2 treadmills, 2 bikes, free weights and yoga area.

Great way to overcome jet lag after landing from SYD by doing cardio and the gym has its own shower which most pax don't know about.
Old May 5, 2019, 1:18 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by m0hamed
EY has a decent gym in the F Lounge at AUH with 2 treadmills, 2 bikes, free weights and yoga area.

Great way to overcome jet lag after landing from SYD by doing cardio and the gym has its own shower which most pax don't know about.
I’m not sure about decent. It’s a small fitness room at best. But yes, better than nothing.

I seem to recall both DOH and SIN having in airport gyms?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.