Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

M&S Onboard Menu Summer 2019 (shorthaul buy on board)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

Unlike previous menu changes, the latest menu has been revamped. This post has a good summary:

Originally Posted by Joshm300
FYI - Flying back from Vienna this evening on the 705, the new summer 2019/BA 100 celebrations menu was available.

Lots of bumf about the 100 celebrations, it did look a bit more professional than previous versions and certainly an improvement in the range of drinks and snacks available including:
  • Afternoon tea with scone, Jam and cream etc.
  • Tanqueray replaces Bombay as the standard gin
  • New BA Speedbird 100 beer + another new Brewdog beer
  • New BA and (i think sipsmith) 100 celebration Gin
  • Pinkster Pink Gin (With a sachet of something to make it a cocktail)
  • I think a new champagne 375ml Bottle priced at £17, which seemed quite good value.
  • Schweppes mixers replace fever tree (Slimline tonic, cucumber tonic, ginger ale, tomato)
  • I think a change to the sandwich range - but I wouldn't have remembered what was there before.
  • STILL NO FULL FAT TONIC!!
Sorry I didn't take pictures as I was with my other half, who would have thought I'd lost my marbles. .

Also, when I went to the back for my second round, the great crew offered a choice of gins including Bombay as they have old stock to clear, so maybe worth asking over the nex week or so, if you liked any of the previous products that are no longer technically available.
In addition I will highlight

- price reduction of 15p per hot drink in return for using reusable (passsenger supplied) cup
- reusable and compactable cup for sale at £10, made by Stojo. I've been told they are also on sale in Waitrose.
- children's activity pack (magic tricks based), at £6
- new coffee brand (and coffee bag served) from CRU Kafe
- new tea provider - tea pigs
- various changes to soft drinks and switch to Harrogate Water (after Highland Spring having the contract for as long as I can remember)
- Espresso Martini - where did that idea come from?
- English white wine from Chapel Down.

And here is something for everyone, you can enter a competition for a hamper with many of these items, one will be chosen every day for 100 days from 1 May:

www.highlifeshop.com/foodhamper

[presumably the above link will work from 1 May, entries will be selected from 18 May to 25 August]

Menu here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31051910-post150.html
smokie36 and Windy1875 like this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:03 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Still not a fan of the menu. The sandwich selection is still dire and utterly boring (no vegan option). Unfortunately, it looks like the vegetarian sandwiches are no more (they were OK-ish) and instead it is tomato / mozzarella sandwich. Boring. I'd really welcome a salad option or pot noodle soup.

Not a fan of Schweppes either. Looks like I'll drink IPAs now and that's it.

Last edited by florens; Apr 30, 2019 at 7:09 am
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Also note the activity kit for kids for sale.

Agree on the conments food offering is still poor. The change of water supplier seems to be airline wide but wasn’t the water £1.80 before? (£1.95 now) or did my brain selectively forgot a previous price hike?

the point on reusable cups strikes me as a false good idea: I’m all in favour of reusing and avoid plastic and paper on the ground but the prospect of carrying a dirty coffee cup after the flight is frankly unappealing and given queues for toilets on short flights in between service and duty free don’t count on being able to rinse it in the loo.

Last edited by orbitmic; Apr 30, 2019 at 11:38 am
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
For the ale drinkers amongst us it’s worth noting that the quote “New BA Speedbird 100 beer + another new Brewdog beer” is incorrect. The second beer is by Curious Brewing who are based in Ashford, Kent and is nothing to do with BrewDog.

The beer does not not score well on Ratebeer!
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by florens
Still not a fan of the menu. The sandwich selection is still dire and utterly boring (no vegan option). Unfortunately, it looks like the vegetarian sandwiches are no more (they were OK-ish) and instead it is tomato / mozzarella sandwich. Boring. I'd really welcome a salad option or pot noodle soup.
I really enjoyed the mushroom sourdough toastie as the hot option. Probably the tomato mozarella would be my new favorite. By the way, I agree to your opinion that a cold salad or a noodle soup could be served. Even BA would be able to sell those paid options that they sell at World Traveller at shorthaul flights ( Band 3 - Band 4 ) for GBP 15-20 [ Similar to what Austrian and LOT does ].

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Agree on the conments food offering is still poor.
At least better than American Airlines or United.

The change of water supplier seems to be airline wide but wasn’t the water £1.80 before? (£1.95) or did my rain selectively forgot a previous price hike?
It's a price hike, it was GBP1.80 before. I don't remember if I have ever purchased a bottle of water onboard BA shorthaul. I always request a cup of tank water at the back galley and sometimes receive a cup of water and sometimes receive a cup of water filled from the Highland Springs bottle dedicated to Club Europe.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
- various changes to soft drinks and switch to Harrogate Water (after Highland Spring having the contract for as long as I can remember)
I thought it was HS too but my flight yesterday in WT was a Harrogate bottle too.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Lewis King

I thought it was HS too but my flight yesterday in WT was a Harrogate bottle too.
All our water both long and short haul is now supplied by Harrogate. Ex-USA it’s Crystal Geyser. You might still find a couple of HS bottles knocking about waiting to be used up though.
Geordie405 and TedToToe like this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:45 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
​​​​​​So, the water drinkers are subsidising the reusable cup drinkers.
IAMORGAN and orbitmic like this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
- price reduction of 15p per hot drink in return for using reusable (passsenger supplied) cup
- reusable and compactable cup for sale at £10, made by Stojo. I've been told they are also on sale in Waitrose.
So it's all profit after the first 67 cups !
tigertanaka, cbyrne92 and wilsnunn like this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold

offering is still poor. The change of water supplier seems to be airline wide but wasn’t the water £1.80 before? (£1.95) or did my rain selectively forgot a previous price hike?
The water WAS £1.80 before.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
So still no word on giving any 'elites' a free drink onboard (in Y)?
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
The water WAS £1.80 before.
Avios went up though from 255 to 280.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Is that £5 for a single scone (with cream & jam)? Plus an additional £2.50 for a cup of tea?

I'd need to have a heavy drinking session in the lounge beforehand to ever think that sounds like good value...
TRISTAR1979 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Any rise in prices shouldn't come as a surprise and those with lounge access have the least to complain about anyway.

The bring your own cup is a good idea however 15p off won't be much of an incentive for most people.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by florens

Not a fan of Schweppes either. Looks like I'll drink IPAs now and that's it.
Note these mixers are Schweppes 1783 so it's their premium range - essentially their response to losing market share to the likes of Fever Tree.
orbitmic and volar like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.