Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your lifejacket is underneath your seat (or is it?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald

This is a moderately useless thread as I sometimes start, just before anyone complains. The only reason I'm posting this is to entertain my curiosity.

I sometimes reach down to check if I have a lifejacket underneath my seat, and to my surprise I didn't have one on my flight last week! Flight attendants were a bit surprised and had to do a double take (or maybe it was my accent). I quote: "This certainly is a first"

Out of curiosity, do you check if you have a lifejacket? Was it ever missing?
_kurt likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by thebigben
This is a moderately useless thread as I sometimes start, just before anyone complains. The only reason I'm posting this is to entertain my curiosity.

I sometimes reach down to check if I have a lifejacket underneath my seat, and to my surprise I didn't have one on my flight last week! Flight attendants were a bit surprised and had to do a double take (or maybe it was my accent). I quote: "This certainly is a first"

Out of curiosity, do you check if you have a lifejacket? Was it ever missing?
I always check, and it has not been missing yet
mrow, _kurt, Deltus and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:32 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I always check and I'm on about 3 missing so far total, which is going to be sub 1% of all my flights. It has come up before, a few years ago there was the habit of people stealing them on services to yachting locations such as NCE and AGP, plus some Italian school groups seemed to think it was funny to take them. I've seen one lad getting pounced on in Arrivals.

Previously on FT:
"Your life jacket is either beside or underneath your seat" - or is it?

Lifejackets...or lack thereof...

life vests
narvik, nancypants and thebigben like this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I always check. BD used to be pretty bad for this IRRC; which is why I check...
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius
I always check, and it has not been missing yet
Really??

Personally I couldn't give two hoots whether there's one there or not. The chance of me ever being in a position to use one is so minuscule it really isn't worth concerning myself with.

Have there been any ditchings in recent history where lifejackets came in useful? The Hudson flight is the only one I know of and even there I don't think lifejackets saved anyone.
Takiteasy likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:40 pm

I always check but never found one missing. I gather it happens more on LCC where apparently some pax think nicking them is a jolly jape.

Given the fast turnaround of their flights, a missing one probably wouldn't get noticed until the next day.

​​​​
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:50 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Have there been any ditchings in recent history where lifejackets came in useful? The Hudson flight is the only one I know of and even there I don't think lifejackets saved anyone.
The one off the Kenyan coast and the CHC Helicopters Eurocopter crash off Sumburgh comes to mind too. In fact on helicopter services there have been a number of survivors thanks to life vests, and perhaps the frequent use of survival clothing on the more safety conscious operators. I'm hoping I don't have to do another helicopter ride out of Sumburgh or anywhere else, it really is an awful experience. I take the view that one of the things that led to unnecessary deaths in the Manchester Airtours disaster were basic fairly silly process failure or forgetfulness, people died unnecessarily because they did not pay attention. If something happened to me that a quick check could have prevented, then I doubt my family would ever forgive me.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The one off the Kenyan coast and the CHC Helicopters Eurocopter crash off Sumburgh comes to mind too. In fact on helicopter services there have been a number of survivors thanks to life vests, and perhaps the frequent use of survival clothing on the more safety conscious operators. I'm hoping I don't have to do another helicopter ride out of Sumburgh or anywhere else, it really is an awful experience. I take the view that one of the things that led to unnecessary deaths in the Manchester Airtours disaster were basic fairly silly process failure or forgetfulness, people died unnecessarily because they did not pay attention. If something happened to me that a quick check could have prevented, then I doubt my family would ever forgive me.
For sure helicopters are a different beast and I'd like to have a lifejacket on one of those, but on a large airliner I take the view that it's extremely unlikely I'm going down and if I do that's probably me done for. I'm fairly relaxed about that. Others evidently take a different approach.
Takiteasy and m4tt like this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Really??

Personally I couldn't give two hoots whether there's one there or not. The chance of me ever being in a position to use one is so minuscule it really isn't worth concerning myself with.

I work in Risk Management- it is ingrained in my psyche to check that things are where they are supposed to be........

;D
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius
I work in Risk Management- it is ingrained in my psyche to check that things are where they are supposed to be........

;D
By the same token, that competency at evaluating risks could - perhaps - lead you to decide that this isn't necessarily one worth bothering much about.

I should add that I am by nature quite a risk-averse person.
Takiteasy likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Really??

Spot on.

I'd rather a parachute under the seat.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Lioneye
Spot on.

I'd much prefer to have a smoke-hood
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by DeanB
I'd much prefer to have a smoke-hood
I suspect a hood that one could smoke cigarettes in would be the most popular choice among passengers!
trooper and smc333 like this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Lioneye
Spot on.

I realise you are probably joking.. but... for those who DO think this is a good idea (and they are out there)..
Challenges.
1. Getting OUT of the aircraft.

a. How would you open a door?
b. If you COULD get a door open, how would you safely EXIT from a side door into such a fast airflow (without - to use the Military phrase - "counting rivets" down the side of the aircraft) Lets not even think about unusual aircraft attitudes...

Yes, military parachutists exit from the side door of large aircraft, even some jets... but these are aircraft flying unpressurised , at minimum speed, and straight and level. And did I mention the wind deflector that is powered out in front of the exit door? No? It sorta helps...

But OK... lets assume you find a way to safely get out.

2. Have you got the harness on, properly and snugly secure? Any idea how to do that? Any idea how to activate the parachute itself?

a. You found the ripcord/opening device? Great! What altitude are you at? Going to get that canopy open as soon as possible I bet? Really bad idea above, say, 20,000 ft..... without supplemental O2....
b. How are you going to LAND it? What do you WEIGH? (Over 100kg? Good luck!) The heavier you are the worse off... Have you practiced your PLF's? (Parachute Landing Falls)? Do you understand the absolute necessity of landing INTO the wind?

One last consideration. WEIGHT. Parachutes, even Slimpack pilots emergency types, weigh more than a few kilos.... Multiply that by the number onboard.... Just sayin...

Probably best that there is no way to actually jump!!! (Its an interesting exercise to think about it though.....^)

EDIT! (Cos Im having fun thinking this through)

OK.. I think there is ONE scenario where pax parachutes could work. Its dependent on a few conditions being met...

1. The aircraft is low enough to depressurise without problems for the pax. (And so doors can theoretically be opened)
2. The aircraft is over LAND.
3. The pax all have time to work out and correctly put on the parachute rigs.
4. The aircraft is able to fly slowly enough (under 100 knots preferably) and straight and level for LONG enough to allow all to exit.*
5. The pax all manage to safely exit, activate the parachutes, avoid entanglement with each other, and land reasonably intact.

* The second last jump of my basic para course was a "simultaneous double door" exit from a C-130..32 out each side...in.... theoretically 32 seconds (we actually did it a little quicker) That perhaps gives some indication how long it would take to clear out . say, a 777.

The question that springs to mind of course is..if all those conditions were able to be met..is there actually ANYTHING wrong with the aircraft????

Last edited by trooper; Apr 28, 2019 at 5:10 pm
Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:02 pm

i never checked, do u hv to flip over the seat which can be used as cushion to find out the lifejacket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.