life vests

Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
life vests

How often does BA check that every seat has a life vest? Background: I have made it a habit to check on short-haul flights whether my seat has a life vest. Today, coming back to LHR, there was none. I notified the FA - since the middle seat was empty, she took that one and put it under my seat. I posed the rhetorical question "I wonder how long this has been missing", to which the FA responded (not exactly very friendly) "I have no way of knowing, as we just came on board ourselves".

Now, I am probably the odd one out checking on the life vest (though, I am sure Monk would do the same) - so, I wonder how often does BA actually check whether every seat has a life vest.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
Good question
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: QF WP
I have got into this habit also, although have never found one missing

taking from another seat sounds like a bad idea IMO- who’s gonna remember to replace it? And will the next person check?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
I am one who touches it during the safety video, a muscle memory type of thing. Then I know it is there and where to reach for it.

You usually get a lot more notice that you need it than during an explosive decompression [when Time Of Useful Consciousness is about 10 secs at cruising altitude for an old buffer like me!] when you will have to find a mask in the mist - particularly if you are woken from sleep and a brandy or two ...

... not that I worry about these things, but I like to be alert to the risks.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by nancypants

taking from another seat sounds like a bad idea IMO- who’s gonna remember to replace it? And will the next person check?
It is a good idea IMHO. Then the OP has one where he needs it, and the crew will document it in the snags list for the next turnaround.
navylad likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by denhaagflyer
Now, I am probably the odd one out checking on the life vest ....
I do it, too. Never had one missing, though; but I check on every flight.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:29 pm

The cleaners complete what’s called a ‘secure clean’ on single aisle aircraft after each landing in Europe and at LHR where they’re meant to randomly select a certain percentage of seats to check.
Either way, there are always additional adult life vests onboard, so the crew should’ve been able to provide one without taking it from another seat, though expect they did this because it was quicker at the time. There’s also extra infant life vests and cots.

It’s good practice though to check you have one. They can go missing.

Last edited by MFCC; Oct 6, 2018 at 3:27 pm
Old Oct 6, 2018, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by MFCC
They can go missing.
Why? Why would someone steal a rather poor life jacket?

Using airline glasses and teaspoons adds an exclusive element to my home but blowing a life jacket up once whilst sitting in the bath does nothing for me!
T8191, mikeyfly, navylad and 5 others like this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 1:37 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Greenpen

Why? Why would someone steal a rather poor life jacket?

Using airline glasses and teaspoons adds an exclusive element to my home but blowing a life jacket up once whilst sitting in the bath does nothing for me!
ours is not to reason why, do you remember ‘seat gate’ form 2017? Why would someone take a seat cushion- who knows!
Old Oct 6, 2018, 1:56 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by antichef
It is a good idea IMHO. Then the OP has one where he needs it, and the crew will document it in the snags list for the next turnaround.
as long as they remember to document it 😉
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The routes which are prone to life jacket theft are the yachting/sailing routes, so NCE, AGP, PMI, Greece and what not. Plus groups of school kids. I think I've had 3 missing seat jackets over the last decade, which isn't a high percentage - there again in extremis I wouldn't be too reassured to know my predicament was statistically irrelevant. Previous discussion of this here:

Lifejackets...or lack thereof...

"Your life jacket is either beside or underneath your seat" - or is it?
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:21 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The routes which are prone to life jacket theft are the yachting/sailing routes, so NCE, AGP, PMI, Greece and what not. Plus groups of school kids. I think I've had 3 missing seat jackets over the last decade, which isn't a high percentage - there again in extremis I wouldn't be too reassured to know my predicament was statistically irrelevant. Previous discussion of this here:

Lifejackets...or lack thereof...

"Your life jacket is either beside or underneath your seat" - or is it?
it always surprises me people who purchase 6 figure+ yachts and skimp on antifouling and safety gear
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
Although I've never had a missing life jacket myself (and I check every time) they are stolen from time to time and the slightly random nature of checking means they may not be identified on a turn around. (they seem to end up on auction sites for way less than they cost the airline to replace). Spares are (should be) available and please do check and report if you don't have one and don't rely on having notice of needing one.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:34 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
Interesting article about how Airbus and Fujitsu are developing technology to allow the crew to see if any life vests are missing in real time.

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2018/1...flight-checks/
Old Oct 6, 2018, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The routes which are prone to life jacket theft are the yachting/sailing routes, so NCE, AGP, PMI, Greece and what not...
I’m not sure why anyone going on a sailing holiday would choose to steal a rubbish BA lifejacket compared to what would be available on their charter, or own, yacht. (No ais, epirb, spray hood, built-in lifeline). If you are going to sail dinghies then you need a buoyancy aid rather than a lifejacket.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.