Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Airline booking changed by AA departure time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G

Good morning . Some input please..
I have a booking in August with the part hel jfk.. And jfk phx.
Originally 2h layover for immigration at jfk.
Now AA has modified departure time 30min earlier.
As a consequence ay changed the whole itinerary to hel ord and ord phx giving me 7min later in phx where I separately booked a tight connection to Las.
So 2 points for me.. Tighter connection in phx on my behalf and 200tp less.
1. I think I can get an orc after the flight . Right?
2. I'm global entry so I think still 90min is plenty of time for the original booking.

Can I tell my Ota to keep the old booking ?

Thnx for ideas
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:29 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
ORC is really for on the day IRROPS changes, not schedule changes months ahead. That said of you can find an alternative itinerary which works better than what auto-rebook has given you then call to ask for it.

Is JFK a BA->AA connection? If so MCT for all T7->T8 connections is 2 hrs. If the auto rebook has initially given you a connection which is less than MCT at some point that will be picked up and something else will be changed - so just be proactive and find an alternative itinerary.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
ORC can only be requested for reroutes due to IRROPS, not schedule changes prior to travel.
Minimum connection time will apply, so if your connection is below the published minimum (and I don't know what the minimum connection time is between Finnair and AA at JFK), it doesn't matter whether you have Global Entry, the airlines will not allow a connection below that minimum connection time. Hopefully someone with access can confirm whether 90 mins is below the minimum AY-AA at JFK, which I think is all within T8.
Assuming it is below the minimum, your only option is to search for a reroute that meets your needs and propose that to the OTA.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Thank you so far. I had the same situation 2 years ago with an AA departure change resuming in rerouting to a non stop ba flight to atl instead of lhr PHL atl and got the orc without problems .
But I would prefer to not have to rely on it.
How much 'pressure can I put on Ota to book a different alternative? I'm sure there are generally plenty . Right now I'm on a flight 1.55 pm hel to ord. I'm sure there would be a connection to lhr early and then a morning flight to jfk.. Pretty sure more expensive. Can I ask for that? Or is it just a good will of Ota where they want money for anyway?
Even if my final destination arrival is only 7min late.. That is something I def do not like.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:19 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
AA are great with reroutes and BA good. I don’t use OTA’s as they are reportedly less flexible. You can only ask but have a preferred route solution with flight numbers before you call rather than a vague ‘there must be an earlier route through LHR’.

Regarding ORC, I can only report my experience and I have only been successful with IRROPS, not schedule changes. There are posts where ORC hasn’t been granted so it shouldn’t be relied on.

Last edited by gcuk; Apr 25, 2019 at 12:27 am
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:35 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat
Good morning . Some input please..
I have a booking in August with the part hel jfk.. And jfk phx.
Originally 2h layover for immigration at jfk.
Now AA has modified departure time 30min earlier.
As a consequence ay changed the whole itinerary to hel ord and ord phx giving me 7min later in phx where I separately booked a tight connection to Las.
So 2 points for me.. Tighter connection in phx on my behalf and 200tp less.
1. I think I can get an orc after the flight . Right?
2. I'm global entry so I think still 90min is plenty of time for the original booking.

Can I tell my Ota to keep the old booking ?

Thnx for ideas
If your routing is HEL-JFK (on AY metal) then JFK-PHX (AA metal) then I think you can just ask the OTA to reinstate the original booking. As far as I can tell (though I am not an expert in deciphering the "exceptions" list in the MCT tables) the MCT for AY-AA is just 75 minutes (same applies if you are on the AA codeshare AA8985).

Results from https://www.ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Minimum Connect Times:
Connecting at JFK
Incoming airline AY
Outgoing airline AA
Flight type International to Domestic

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE 1.00 1.15 1.45 2.00
OFFLINE 1.00 1.15 1.45 2.00
** OR * ARE ALL
AY-AA ID 1.15
**-AA ID SUP ALL - FLT 1 - 9099 CUBA - ALL
**-AA ID 2.00 TRM 7 - 8
gcuk likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GinFizz
If your routing is HEL-JFK (on AY metal) then JFK-PHX (AA metal) then I think you can just ask the OTA to reinstate the original booking. As far as I can tell (though I am not an expert in deciphering the "exceptions" list in the MCT tables) the MCT for AY-AA is just 75 minutes (same applies if you are on the AA codeshare AA8985).

Results from https://www.ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Minimum Connect Times:
Connecting at JFK
Incoming airline AY
Outgoing airline AA
Flight type International to Domestic

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE 1.00 1.15 1.45 2.00
OFFLINE 1.00 1.15 1.45 2.00
** OR * ARE ALL
AY-AA ID 1.15
**-AA ID SUP ALL - FLT 1 - 9099 CUBA - ALL
**-AA ID 2.00 TRM 7 - 8

Thnx for the input..

I called the OTA.. immediate answered.. going thru the itinerary they said they can leave the original booking but i will then be responsible if i miss the connection .. I can live with that. I prefer to handle problems when they appear not predicted :-) thank you all.
gcuk likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:24 am

I called the OTA.. immediate answered.. going thru the itinerary they said they can leave the original booking but i will then be responsible if i miss the connection .. I can live with that. I prefer to handle problems when they appear not predicted :-) thank you all.
Good to read this is fixed. Regardless of what the OTA agent told you, your connection is though still protected, in case you are held up for any unexpected reason on the AY-AA transfer.
KARFA, Vasco Pridat and danielbk like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Next round . Just got called by Ota....might have been a misunderstanding . Lol.. If I don't agree on the change I could loose the whole flight .
No I will get an airline agents call within 72h to see what my chances are..
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Next round . Just got called by Ota....might have been a misunderstanding . Lol.. If I don't agree on the change I could loose the whole flight .
This was expected. If the new itinerary did not meet the MCT then the travel agent should not have promised you that you could keep your original flights as the system would not have allowed to reissue the ticket. If you have specific flights in mind then suggest them to your agent.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Andriyko
This was expected. If the new itinerary did not meet the MCT then the travel agent should not have promised you that you could keep your original flights as the system would not have allowed to reissue the ticket. If you have specific flights in mind then suggest them to your agent.
But if the fare rules state 75 min mct.. And the old it still is 90... It should ?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:45 pm

This is just bizarre. It your routing is HEL to JFK (on AY metal) then JFK to PHX (on AA metal) there then there should indeed be no problem with the connection.

Just checked on ITAmatrix for a oneway fare (hence the crazy price). Apologies if the date/time exactly matches your flight - just coincidence - I am not hacking you
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
But if the fare rules state 75 min mct.. And the old it still is 90... It should ?
Yes, the MCT for AY to AA connections at JFK is 75 minutes, so the new 90 min connection should not be a problem. Did the agent explain why you can't keep the itinerary?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GinFizz
This is just bizarre. It your routing is HEL to JFK (on AY metal) then JFK to PHX (on AA metal) ..
I am not hacking you
U may.. Haha.. Miss hacked tho, it's the 7th of Aug. 😍.. Same times
Good idea to check that.booking availability

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Yes, the MCT for AY to AA connections at JFK is 75 minutes, so the new 90 min connection should not be a problem. Did the agent explain why you can't keep the itinerary?
Ota had no clue and just said that's what the airline did and they did not offer an alternative.. But they would call me to see.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Is the HEL-JFK AY operated flight a codeshare marketed by another airline?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.