Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the Concorde cellar now empty?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Is the Concorde cellar now empty?

The quality of wines in F has been a recurring theme on FT over multiple threads. Not wishing to judge on price only, but recent posts have mentioned some wines retailing at less than £10 a bottle, although each white and red list seems to be headlined by a wine more in the £25-£40 range (thank you Oaxaca). Anyway, this has reminded me of the Concorde Collection, which according to this article in the Scotsman, had 12000 cases of very fine wines, carefully chosen and laid down, and mostly valued in the £50-£120 per bottle price range. The article goes on to say that it was decided not to sell off the collection when Concorde retired, and instead to use the wines in F class.

Does anyone know whether these wines were actually used in F, and is the Concorde cellar now empty? Maybe the current F wine lists could do with a sprinkling of Concorde's stardust.

Last edited by Flexible preferences; Apr 23, 2019 at 2:29 am Reason: price correction
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
12000 cases is 144000 bottles assuming 12 per case and the definition of case seems to vary between 6 and12!

British Airways - BRITISH AIRWAYS FACTSHEET

They carry 123,000 passengers per day. Say 1% are first. 1230 people.

Say they drink half half a bottle each. Some 600 bottles a day.

The stash would last 240 day and Concorde retired long long ago. Whatever way you fudge my simple maths if they were using it at all I suspect it is long long gone!

nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by jeremyBA

They carry 123,000 passengers per day.
And in the very next paragraph
The airline carries up to 145,000 customers every day

That’s a bit of a range in how many people BA thinks it carries daily!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jeremyBA
12000 cases is 144000 bottles assuming 12 per case and the definition of case seems to vary between 6 and12!

They carry 123,000 passengers per day. Say 1% are first. 1230 people.

Say they drink half half a bottle each. Some 600 bottles a day.

The stash would last 240 day and Concorde retired long long ago. Whatever way you fudge my simple maths if they were using it at all I suspect it is long long gone!
I like the logical breakdown ^. However (I say in forlorn hope), the article only mentioned use on transatlantic services, which narrows it down a little bit. And, I was wondering if they perhaps introduced it bit by bit, maybe just one entry on the F wine list, for instance, or at selected times.

Or have they not used it at all, and BA are still sitting on an amazing cellar, presumably a lot of it aged beautifully and drinking well...
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences

Or have they not used it at all, and BA are still sitting on an amazing cellar, presumably a lot of it aged beautifully and drinking well...
... or they are storing, ineptly, many bottles of expensive vinegar! This is BA, after all
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I like the logical breakdown ^. However (I say in forlorn hope), the article only mentioned use on transatlantic services, which narrows it down a little bit. And, I was wondering if they perhaps introduced it bit by bit, maybe just one entry on the F wine list, for instance, or at selected times.

480k movements a year at LHR, 240k for BA roughly. say 1/4 are longhaul and half of those are transatlantic = 30k flights p.a. 1 bottle on each of those flights would last 5 ish years? Probably long gone!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just had a glass of TORO vino tinto with my lunch. Smooth as silk and for around 80p a bottle it's exceptional value for money.

Think I'll drop the BA wine buyer a wee note.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:58 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
I assume anything of any real quality was either drunk on site after hours or walked out the door loosely concealed under a jacket with the gradual displacement of the executives and senior management responsible for the previous glory days of the airline...

nancypants and Flying Yazata like this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS, EK
I remember chatting to Peter Nixson, who was their wine buyer years back before they decided in their wisdom to outsource. I asked him about the Concorde wine cellar, specifically the Winston Churchill bubbles. He said the bubbly didn’t last long after the end of Concorde, I can only imagine the rest of it is long gone.

I believe they used to purchase 10-15 years in advance with the Chateaus in France and got them to cellar it until it was ready. Given that sort of timing if they had any outstanding stock it’s probably well and truly gone......... Some of it did, happily, end up down my throat, but that was back in 2004.......
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by amt
I assume anything of any real quality was either drunk on site after hours or walked out the door loosely concealed under a jacket with the gradual displacement of the executives and senior management responsible for the previous glory days of the airline...
There is a part of me that aligns with your way of thinking here, although to be fair the article does say the Concorde Collection was cellared off-site - Barbados, New York and Toronto, so it wasn't like in a room in Waterside where it could so easily go walkies.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I wonder how many opened bottles went down the toilet?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IIRC The Alfred Gratien Cuvée Paradis was around in F for a couple of years after the Rocket’s demise.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
IIRC The Alfred Gratien Cuvée Paradis was around in F for a couple of years after the Rocket’s demise.
Indeed, it showed up late in 2005/early 2006, just after the “Charles de Cazanove crisis” of 2005

BA did sporadically have some really crap options in F champagne from the time Krug went away in the early 2000s until Grand Siecle became a fixture.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Just had a glass of TORO vino tinto with my lunch. Smooth as silk and for around 80p a bottle it's exceptional value for money.

Think I'll drop the BA wine buyer a wee note.

Please don’t.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.