Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A way to improve Tier Point Runs and Premium Fare Deals threads

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A way to improve Tier Point Runs and Premium Fare Deals threads

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:00 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Prospero

Fare requests and self help discussion
Would it help if we created a stand alone thread for fare requests, possibly including some guidance on using ITA matrix
Yes it would. The discussion over the last couple of days has highlighted one issue that resonates with me, namely the change in the nature of posts in the Premium Fares thread. Historically this has been a very useful thread, with people sharing details of special fares, sales etc. that might be of interest, and so it has been worth visiting more or less whenever there has been a new post. Recently, however, many if not most posts there have been of the "I would like to spend Christmas in Sydney, flying out on December 16th and back on January 2. I want to fly business class and earn TPs. What is the cheapest option?" type. Now whilst I have no difficulty with posters expecting others to do their research for them if there are people willing (or mug enough) to do so, the Premium Fares thread is simply the wrong place for such requests, and their presence makes checking that thread a more frustrating experience.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Very well put. The 'Premium Fare Deals' thread has become totally overrun with these kinds of requests and it would be great if they could be separated out into a different thread.

Originally Posted by CCayley
Yes it would. The discussion over the last couple of days has highlighted one issue that resonates with me, namely the change in the nature of posts in the Premium Fares thread. Historically this has been a very useful thread, with people sharing details of special fares, sales etc. that might be of interest, and so it has been worth visiting more or less whenever there has been a new post. Recently, however, many if not most posts there have been of the "I would like to spend Christmas in Sydney, flying out on December 16th and back on January 2. I want to fly business class and earn TPs. What is the cheapest option?" type. Now whilst I have no difficulty with posters expecting others to do their research for them if there are people willing (or mug enough) to do so, the Premium Fares thread is simply the wrong place for such requests, and their presence makes checking that thread a more frustrating experience.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Mike P
Very well put. The 'Premium Fare Deals' thread has become totally overrun with these kinds of requests and it would be great if they could be separated out into a different thread.
Fully agreed. To me, the Premium Fare Deals thread has become useless as I don't have time to sort through the unrelated discussions.

I like the QR forum with two different threads:
1. Sales Fare Pricing ONLY ("If your post does not specifically state a discounted price, it will be deleted as Off-Topic.")
2. Sales Fare Discussion
CoweyB, orbitmic, onobond and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Would it help if we created a stand alone thread for fare requests, possibly including some guidance on using ITA matrix? This guidance already exists in a variety of forms in a variety of forums but perhaps it could be made more visible. For example, KARFA and rossmacd have provided extensive tips on using ITA Matrix in the Tier Point Runs thread. There is another extensive guide in the Travel Tools forum.
Yes. Like others, I find the ‘I need X Tier Points by Y date can you all please do the work for me’ posts in the TO run and PFD threads unhelpful. Creating somewhere specific for them to go would be beneficial IMO.
CoweyB, Stez, onobond and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: BA gold
I'm inclined to agree to keep the sale fares (whether it's the premium ones or the lesser discussed Y sale thread) to minimal discussion - I don't mind the odd discussion pertaining to the practicalities of it (someone might have intricate knowledge of a certain route/airport/etc/etc) that can be useful. However, posts expecting others to do the hard work is clutter in my humble view.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:38 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Keep it Riel
More is almost always better than less. Matrix is the best way to crunch through bulk scenarios and it's also the best way to finesse details to complete an itinerary. It is fiddly though - those who intuitively know what "f bc=g" is likely to mean will get the hang of it quickly, others will find it more challenging. I have the turning left for less guide bookmarked and that usually answers the questions I need and I am probably highly inclined to understand something like matrix. Whether any guide would be sufficient to demystify the system for someone for whom this kind of syntax is gobbledygook is the question.,
Thanks. Yes I haven't written a full guide in the TP run thread but the reason I don't intend to is that there are a number of really good guides out there already so I have linked to the ones on Turning Left for Less, Head for Points, The Points Guy, and Travelcodex - see post 4 of the tp run thread.

Originally Posted by squawk
Prompted by @zebranz’a post in the Premium Fares thread - a couple of thoughts for discussion and to help the mods/ambassadors in their deliberations.

I think it would be very helpful if, in each thread, the wikis were very clearly organised. I’m thinking along the lines of with templates for layout when people add fares - similar to the Travel Meet-up Thread. This should include date identified and a direct link with post number to the post (in that thread) where the person sets out the core info.

One example (open to suggestions/improvements):

LHR-ABC-XYZ return/ 200TP / £300 (£1.50/TP) / found 2019-04-22 post 999 / expires 2019-04-29 / DO thread if there is one / Notes: requires overnight in ABC

These could then be organised by TP range, and within this by date expiring.

If the person who finds the info is prepared to post a short summary as above in the wiki, that might make it easier for people 1) trying to find information and 2) everyone working to maintain this and keep it up to date
There are some guidelines on posting fares in the TP run wiki along those lines, and they are generally grouped by region. I guess the premium fare thread could do with a similar type of arrangement albeit with slightly different information to reflect the different purpose of the thread.

Originally Posted by littlefish
Is there a non-Premium fares thread?
I would say any of the following threads could include non-premium sale fares:

When is the next BA sale?
Current Fare Sales [ex UK]
WT and WTP (family holiday) fare deals
squawk likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by brunos
Fully agreed. To me, the Premium Fare Deals thread has become useless as I don't have time to sort through the unrelated discussions.

1. Sales Fare Pricing ONLY ("If your post does not specifically state a discounted price, it will be deleted as Off-Topic.")
2. Sales Fare Discussion
That would have my vote. Although QR's less generous pricing has meant precious little posting on the QR 'Pricing Only' thread over the past few months I do find that approach much more user friendly than what the BA Premium Fare thread has become.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:10 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by brunos

2. Sales Fare Discussion
The QR thread split came about from suggestions from those who were using the forum, and I think it works.

It does mean a fair amount of Moderator involvement to remove posts which dont meet the specific posting requirements of the Pricing ONLY thread, but it's worth it to ensure those who are subscribed, only see relevant content.

M
Blueboys999 and Takiteasy like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
To advance the discussion, I am happy to share my initial thoughts

Premium Fare Deals thread
  • USP 1 = highlight good fares eligible for TP collection
  • USP 2 = not everyone plans their flights purely to maximise the TP potential, preferring a comfortable, direct routing instead. I probably include myself in that category.
  • USP 3 = with focused contributions / fare alerts, the thread adds value to those members who subscribe to the thread
  • Taking a first principles view, the thread serves the BA community as a valued addition to the Premium Fares forum and so to sustain its place in the BA forum, it really needs to stay true to its purpose. That is about sharing the discovery.

Would it help if we created a stand alone thread for fare requests, possibly including some guidance on using ITA matrix? This guidance already exists in a variety of forms in a variety of forums but perhaps it could be made more visible. For example, KARFA and rossmacd have provided extensive tips on using ITA Matrix in the Tier Point Runs thread. There is another extensive guide in the Travel Tools forum.

Tier Point Runs thread
This thread has a unique purpose which is about maximising tier point collection. It is hosted in the BA forum (as opposed to the Mileage Run Discussion from) because its purpose and content is so heavily nuanced towards BA and the Executive Club. It is also a tremendously busy thread so I'm not sure merging it with the Premium Fare Deals would generate value. My thinking is their missions are quite different.
A very constructive post, many thanks. Although the main objective of my trying to make 'deals' threads easier to use is having a separate thread for every deal. I'm presently on a main ticket on a deal from the BA Premium Fares Deals (PFD), that with little tweaking turned out to be good TP-earning as well, but if there are emotional or other reasons to keep PFD and TPR threads separate, it's fine with me. Haven't seen any TP-run posts concerning other than premium fares, but a merger is not a main objective, especially if not making it easy to navigate, to identify a deal one is interested in, without scrolling down posts with less interesting content. In my vision I see a menu, where clicking on a BA subforum like "Premium Fare and TP-run deals, expired deals, fare requests and discussions" takes you to a menu of all of these (3, 4 or even 5?) as secondary subfora, where you can see the deals, headline containing destination, price and, eventually, TP earnings. In the separated subfora discussing flying the expired deals, posting requests and discussions on side-oriented topics. Maybe not so elaborated as the Dashboard, an invaluable treasury, which needs to be credited to you as the main organiser. Kudos! I could personally figure a little more than what happens when you click on the Main Premium Fare Deals subforum. I see good opportunities to make compromises to have threads easy to identify the contents of, instead of scrolling some 5K posts.

Originally Posted by madfish
Is the premise here that to save time in having to browse through 150 posts that others have to manage a range of forums/sub-forums and spend their time moving posts around. Doesn't seem fair to me.

Sorry, but there seems to be some misunderstanding here. Nobody is required to "manage a range of forums/sub-forums" and "spend their time moving posts around". If a fare is pulled/expired anyone, you, me or the OP can write a post of 4-6 words in the respective thread for the deal, an it will require one of the Moderators to write [Fare expired] in the headline, save, cut and paste in the expired deals subforum. My guess, although ignorant of how the Moderators work, is ½-1 minute per move. But mind you, not all fares expire, i.e. max one move for any thread, but zero for most of them.

Originally Posted by madfish
On the basis that those who use any fare to their advantage is saving money, I don't think it unreasonable that they spend a little of their time working through the posts, whether that be an experienced TP runner or a novice looking for their first deal. If they don't like it they can just ignore and find their own deals or pay full price.

If you are seeking some reciprocity of time spent posting/working through the posts to how much money is saved using a fare that's been posted, I think it needs some surveillance system that even George Orwell wouldn't imagine. Of course, if you don't like a deal presented], you are free to find something else, somewhere else. Absolutely no conflict there. But 'full price', are there actually ppl doing that?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
I think the threads are fine - both have been pretty well behaved this year apart from some minor off-topic diversion in the PFD thread a week or so ago - so minor that I have forgotten exactly what the rabbit hole was. They have separate purposes - though the two oftern overlap. I feel that most TP runs should also appear in the PFD thread, as for the most part they can be done in a simpler version if one is not optimising. There are certainly some that are only relevant to PFD - when the routing is restricted [usually to a direct flight]. More regular use of the wiki is certainly no bad thing - though getting to it on mobile can be a pain.

I would second the annoyance over people who do not appear to have made any effort to do their own research before posting - though for the most part I think the response to these posters includes the right level of "have you even tried" to keep an even keel.

And finally, I will also join the chorus regarding the irritating jumping of long threads on mobile devices - it doesn't seem to be a universal thing, but when it happens they become unusable.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by squawk
Prompted by @zebranz’a post in the Premium Fares thread - a couple of thoughts for discussion and to help the mods/ambassadors in their deliberations.

I think it would be very helpful if, in each thread, the wikis were very clearly organised. I’m thinking along the lines of with templates for layout when people add fares - similar to the Travel Meet-up Thread. This should include date identified and a direct link with post number to the post (in that thread) where the person sets out the core info.

One example (open to suggestions/improvements):

LHR-ABC-XYZ return/ 200TP / £300 (£1.50/TP) / found 2019-04-22 post 999 / expires 2019-04-29 / DO thread if there is one / Notes: requires overnight in ABC

These could then be organised by TP range, and within this by date expiring.

If the person who finds the info is prepared to post a short summary as above in the wiki, that might make it easier for people 1) trying to find information and 2) everyone working to maintain this and keep it up to date

Thanks for another post with constructive comments. I personally think a Wiki has a merit, but would it not be easier to find the destination/price/limitations in the thread title/headline in a subforum, easily navigated?

Absolutely this! Its got to the point I avoid many of the longer threads on my commute. I thought it was just me.
As a wider point, I avoid many of the multi-year monster threads on the aa and Hilton sub-forums for the same reason. So, yes, does seem to be a wider functionality point.
Spot on there. That's also the point for initiating this change. The TP-run thread, as described upthread has 5K+ post last year. How many of those do you have time to scroll and check contents of on your commute [rethorical question]

Back to the topic in hand. I have no doubt there is some subtle distinction between the Tier Points thread and Premium fares thread (Is there a non-Premium fares thread?), but it has been lost on me these last three years and no doubt on many of the newer visitors or more infrequent users.
Yes, you're absolutely right about that. Both uses premium fares, but one is price-oriented only, the other price- and TP-oriented. But, as written above, this is not a main topic of the suggestion to make theads more accessible, so I'll not advocate any merger unless others chime in. Your comment on the non-Premium fares is very relevant. Certainly a good point there. Why not figure another subforum under the main, suggested above? Why not have ALL deals accessible in one place, with every deal given a separate thread , thus for example, when on the phone and commuting, you scroll down headlines, disregarding uninteresting topics, instead of scrolling hundreds (thousands?) of posts to find what you're looking for. [allowing myself another rethorical question there, sorry, couldn't help]
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
onobond can I check, is what you are proposing a subforum of the BAEC board dedicated to sale fares only with individual thread for each fare? This is the same structure as on the premium fares mileage run board but presumably you just want it focused on oneworld fares? I am struggling to see why you can’t just follow the existing mileage run board and pick out the oneworld fares?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
<snip>

I would say any of the following threads could include non-premium sale fares:

When is the next BA sale?
Current Fare Sales [ex UK]
WT and WTP (family holiday) fare deals
Good point to identify some other threads that can be added as subfora to a BA fares/requests/discussion main thread, although as stated above, with each deal/fare in a separate thread. If we can have all deals under one entry subforum, we will all save time. For example, one is looking for a vacation trip to AAA. If all deals were under the same main subforum headline, it would be easy to search just fo AAA, instead of scrolling through PFD, TPR and the added three fares threads you list above. Trying to make it easier for the BAFT members to find fares they are looking for, instead of achieving some scroll finger overstrain

Originally Posted by KARFA
onobond can I check, is what you are proposing a subforum of the BAEC board dedicated to sale fares only with individual thread for each fare? This is the same structure as on the premium fares mileage run board but presumably you just want it focused on oneworld fares? I am struggling to see why you can’t just follow the existing mileage run board and pick out the oneworld fares?
No, as I responded to your post in the beginning of this thread, the mileage run subforum only (extremely unusual exceptions occur) has focus on economy tickets, for those with FFP still only based on mileage, and is not dedicated to any of the three alliances. There are even posts with good economy deals with the few non-alliance airlines. The legendary RGN deal (in Business, mind you!) was mistakenly posted in this subforum many years ago, still not bound to any of the alliances, but that's certainly history now, although a fond memory. But, as I stated before, this subforum has no place as a role model for anything on BAFT. @Prospero has upthread defined the prerequisites for the BAFT threads, which I have neither have reasons to question or even discuss. Also, as an earlier reply to one of your posts, I don't want to comment anything on what should or shouldn't be duplicated in the BA forum. The topic for this discussion, and why I posted the start of this thread is to make BAFT easier to use, as there are members not being happy with the present state of art, as referred to in my first post, ans subsequently being posted by many others later.

Although not really struggling with it, I still can't see what the problem would be to have every deal posted as a separate thread, making it easier to identify something of interest. You have contributed greatly to the Wiki of the TP-run thread (besides from many other parts of BAFT, so kudos again for your efforts!). Any change to these threads will probably be easiest to do this in the beginning of 2020, but needs to be prepared before. My opinion is that we keep present structures until then, starting a new year with new ambitions to make things easier to navigate and find what we're looking for. (Please, don't get me started on the lousy "search" function of FT). I don't see that we're too far apart from each other, but the old ideology of 'we-have-always-done-it-like-this'-ism might be re-evaluated, I hope.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
To clarify the above @onobond

1 You are not proposing a new forum or subforum within BAFT
2 You are proposing that all fares will have their own thread located on the main BAFT forum (and will be linked to from links in the wikis of the existing threads?)

I, for one, am somewhat confused by what you are trying to suggest so some clarify would be useful.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I am ok with keeping the TP Run and Premium Deals thread as they are now. I'm also ok with having the premium thread split between pricing only and discussions like on QR... but perhaps I would not touch the TP run one.
A new thread regarding ITA Matrix tips and tricks could also maybe be useful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.