Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Job - All Y Travel Policy - Tips on how to get round it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Job - All Y Travel Policy - Tips on how to get round it?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hotelboy
So just to get this right...you are asking on how to defraud your employer?
PAL62V and flyguy6 like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Use it as a spur to travel less. Y is fine for shortish hope but being expected to do it long haul and also be productive don’t mix especially if the policy isn’t clear about rest days. My fear over a Y only policy would be how that extends to things like hotels, meal allowances, cabs...
On expenses, we get breakfast and dinner paid for within allowances but no alcohol. Lunch is not covered. Hotels-wise, we are told to book the cheapest 'reasonable' hotel on Concur and spend the money 'as if it were your own'. I am not new to this employer but just a new job, with more long haul travel. The previous job was never long haul travel so did not care about flights; so when it came to hotels, I would choose one from the list of preferred suppliers in Concur but spend as if my own money... hence choose a nice one, not the cheapest!! However, for flights, the company-wide policy is Y only and to be frugal on everything else. It does feel like we are treated as a cost not asset sometimes. I don't think we get a day either side to recover either.

I agree with your point and plan to use it as a reason to travel less. I don't love work travel, I LOVE personal travel and do enough of it, so I'll try to travel a little less due to this, I guess this is part of the reason for the policy.
Swanhunter likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by hotelboy
So just to get this right...you are asking on how to defraud your employer?
absolutely.
why should your company pay for your buisness class seats? If you want a better class, do what we, without a business to pick up the tab do, that’s buy your own.
your original post was asking how to beat the company and has been said, defraud them.

closecover likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
If this is a deal breaker find a new job. Losing a job because you abused travel policies or commited outright fraud doesn't usually bode well for finding your next opportunity.
Thighsofsteel likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by stockmanjr
If this is a deal breaker find a new job. Losing a job because you abused travel policies or commited outright fraud doesn't usually bode well for finding your next opportunity.
Not true in the current market. My wife’s bank fired 3 employees after it was found they had signed up the bank for On Business and had been living the high life on the OB points from the entire London staff for years. All got new jobs very quickly and are probably defrauding their new employers right now.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Just for the record, I am not planning on defrauding anyone. I plan to stay within policy but use it to the best outcomes. Let’s not get over dramatic here.
Spiff, Yemona, cjb666 and 10 others like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold
There is no way I would choose to works for a company who insisted on Y longhaul. (Mine is J over 7 hrs)

They either value you and your time/effort; or they don’t.
thomasd21 and groenroos like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Silver, UA Plat
Interested in this thread, as I am currently about to switch jobs to one that will require between 20-50% to Asia and Europe (SFO based), so lots of +11 hours. I am wondering how do I go about asking what their travel policy is? I recently did SFO-Asia for the first time and it was in business, I got spoiled and don't think I can go back to Y
Old Apr 20, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Fes426
Interested in this thread, as I am currently about to switch jobs to one that will require between 20-50% to Asia and Europe (SFO based), so lots of +11 hours. I am wondering how do I go about asking what their travel policy is? I recently did SFO-Asia for the first time and it was in business, I got spoiled and don't think I can go back to Y
ask them outright.
ba bob likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
I know it probably does not assist the OP in this particular assistance, but this is one of the reasons I now raise travel policies as part of the negotiations process when looking for a new role.

One of my previous employers who always used to put me in EK had a Y travel policy (I was not wise enough to check their travel policy at that time). I learnt to book my flights at the last minute so there were no Y seats left (hence meaning I could book myself into J) or that the flights were full in Y so EK would upgrade me.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Photoshop and defrauding your employer are not necessary. Simply use Google Flights to work out your preferred flights and route and use the multi-city tool in Concur to specify the route you prefer.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by secretplantofightinflation

ask them outright.
If it isn't in your draft contract, it will still include a line saying 'you also need to follow everything in our employee handbook'. Ask for a copy of this - you are entitled to it, as it is technically bound into your contract - and the info should be in there.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by ba bob
Hi All,

I have started a new job with a firm that has an all Y travel policy... as travelling in premium cabins is 'not something that brings value to our customers'. Eek. The rule is that if you want to fly in anything above Y you need to screenshot the Y fare from Concur, claim the cost of that and you personally pay the difference. Many people in the office say they are flying business but I feel too new to ask them how they are doing it as I doubt they are paying the difference so must be skirting the rule somehow. Any tips on how to get around it from the more seasoned corporate travellers on here?

My best guess is to get Concur to price a pretty expensive Y flight from London and then I just book a low-cost J flight from whichever close European city has a good price for the same route and swallow the difference, or use miles to upgrade.

There used to be a site that you could plug in your destination and multiple starting point cities to get a price from all in one search - forgotten what it was does that still exist?

Please help me continue to turn left! :-)

Thanks.
um ask your colleagues! instead of guessing around on an internet forum

i personally would not accept a job where i could not use an upgraded cabin on a long domestic or international flight, it would be a company i would not want to work for. their excuse about it not bringing value to their customers is just an excuse. if they dont want to bill their customers for it or their customers are refusing to pay for it, then they can still eat the cost as a factor of doing business where they have decided to do business.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bisonrav
Or not. It depends on the job, and you'd be amazed how few companies these days see value in paying 4x the going rate for public transport for a fairly uncomfortable lie flat bed, a bit of extra space, and a poor quality meal.
While perusing our policy the other day I found some verbiage which was surely from pre-2007 like "charter flights and private helicopters are strictly out of policy. Exemptions will require written approval from a regional co-head of division"

I did wonder how often that exemption is invoked since 2008 but I don't think it's very often in my division
Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by mysterym
um ask your colleagues! instead of guessing around on an internet forum

i personally would not accept a job where i could not use an upgraded cabin on a long domestic or international flight, it would be a company i would not want to work for. their excuse about it not bringing value to their customers is just an excuse. if they dont want to bill their customers for it or their customers are refusing to pay for it, then they can still eat the cost as a factor of doing business where they have decided to do business.
Wouldn't such routings cost the company or yourself in terms of time & lost productivity ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.