Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business in the Caribbean

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold | Hilton Honors Platinum
Doing this myself in late January- with Mrs DrBenO and the son (who will still be under 2).

Avios (plus GUF2 and Amex 241) to MIA in J, then AA MIA - UVF In J, again on Avios (good value at ~41k return plus £160 Each on the latter hops- AA wanted £1,100 pp return!)

2 nights to break journey in Miami on outbound, then 12 days in St Lucia (staying near Gros Islet).

Will use the MIA routing again in future- never been able to find anything other than Y Avios availability on the direct LGW routes.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club
Hmm, thanks DrBenO, that is interesting. Given you're using avios to make the flight bookings, how are you sourcing a hotel? Just booking direct with a resort?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
GabrielExea Allow me to make an off the wall suggestion. Fly into anywhere in Florida. Catch a cruise on a Mega Ship with "neighbourhoods" , fed 24 x 7, tour different islands, company when you need, etc. Pricing may surprise you when often you can get a rate of under $100 PP, per day. Mind you alcohol is expensive but often you can bring your own with limitations.....several websites to find / price cruises..
Depending on your needs, gives you time in FL to shop for items hard to get in the UK.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Originally Posted by DrBenO
Doing this myself in late January- with Mrs DrBenO and the son (who will still be under 2).

Avios (plus GUF2 and Amex 241) to MIA in J, then AA MIA - UVF In J, again on Avios (good value at ~41k return plus £160 Each on the latter hops- AA wanted £1,100 pp return!)

2 nights to break journey in Miami on outbound, then 12 days in St Lucia (staying near Gros Islet).

Will use the MIA routing again in future- never been able to find anything other than Y Avios availability on the direct LGW routes.
Going in January is obviously what causes the issue on the direct routes regarding lack of availability.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by DorsetKnob
Going in January is obviously what causes the issue on the direct routes regarding lack of availability.
... and direct routing minimises TP earning.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold | Hilton Honors Platinum
Originally Posted by GabrielExea
Hmm, thanks DrBenO, that is interesting. Given you're using avios to make the flight bookings, how are you sourcing a hotel? Just booking direct with a resort?
Indeed direct- went for a villa this time as easier to manage with a small child!

Hope you managed to find a good option- January break in the sun is a great thing to do!
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:39 pm

If you want the best deal then I would suggest looking later in the year. most of the Caribbean islands have an off season from around April-November which is hurricane season and consequently there aren’t cruise ships landing every day (which I find make most of the islands unbearable).

the islands will be a lot sleepier but if going all-inc it will be hardly noticeable although resort dependent.

MrsMM and I normally head out mid September - mid October as both the hurricane season is coming to an end, weather is a bit cooler and humidity lower and you also benefit from being outside school hols. You can still find reward flights to a few places for this year in that window, notably for ANU which we’ve booked this year.

Good luck.
TMM
Old May 1, 2019, 12:01 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by The Muffin Man
If you want the best deal then I would suggest looking later in the year. most of the Caribbean islands have an off season from around April-November which is hurricane season and consequently there aren’t cruise ships landing every day (which I find make most of the islands unbearable).

the islands will be a lot sleepier but if going all-inc it will be hardly noticeable although resort dependent.

MrsMM and I normally head out mid September - mid October as both the hurricane season is coming to an end, weather is a bit cooler and humidity lower and you also benefit from being outside school hols. You can still find reward flights to a few places for this year in that window, notably for ANU which we’ve booked this year.

Good luck.
TMM
We are doing St Lucia in July; hoping for quiet but reasonable weather!

Amex voucher long weekend!

What are those dastardly gatwick flights like these days in J/F?
Old May 1, 2019, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by allturnleft

We are doing St Lucia in July; hoping for quiet but reasonable weather!

Amex voucher long weekend!

What are those dastardly gatwick flights like these days in J/F?
Ha! ... so are we!

The LGW flights are always a lottery, especially when you can never be 100% certain that BA won’t swap the airframe! Apart from that, the aircraft IME are OK in J, although the IFE can be questionable ... we never travel without our Kindles! Crews can be anything from the BA spectrum, of course.
allturnleft likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 12:37 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by T8191
Ha! ... so are we!

The LGW flights are always a lottery, especially when you can never be 100% certain that BA won’t swap the airframe! Apart from that, the aircraft IME are OK in J, although the IFE can be questionable ... we never travel without our Kindles! Crews can be anything from the BA spectrum, of course.
Have you bern that time of year before?
Old May 1, 2019, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by allturnleft

Have you bern that time of year before?
UVF ... Feb
ANU ... Jun
... and assorted MBJ/KIN, usually in the first half of the year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.