Wiki Posts
Search

World Traveler Plus worth it on 777?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:25 pm
formerly smoaky
Original Poster

World Traveler Plus worth it on 777?

I bought a Basic Economy ticket JFK-LON RT on BA.com. Flight over is on a BA 777 to LGW (BA2272), returning in economy on AA. I'm fine in economy returning as it's daytime, but noticed BA offers an upgrade to WTP for around $192 for the outbound leg. As it's an overnight flight, I'm considering, but because it's BA, I think I also have to pay $50-$60 to get a window seat where it's easier to sleep -- is that right? I also already paid around $25 to get my window seat in economy. Inclined to keep the current set up. But boy is it annoying that BA charges you to choose your seat AFTER you pay to upgrade (unless I'm mistaken and that's included in the $192 upgrade). On the other hand, the 10 across on these LGW routes sounds not so much fun...
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Do you need tier points? or are you crediting to AA? One advantage of WTP is 90 TPs instead of 20 on cheap tickets. Personally, if it's going to cost 250 usd, for a 7 hour hope I wouldn't, but it all depends how much that money is valued to you personally.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:26 pm

Seat selection fees are in theory non refundable, even in the case of upgrades.

However you can try calling to ask - I managed once to get my paid seat selection refunded when I upgraded with Avios, though this was apparently because the call centre agent incorrectly agreed to it initially so they had to follow through with it. It’s worth asking.

As for if it’s worth it - at that price for me yes it is worth it, but of course that’s very subjective. WTP is noticably more roomy and easier to sleep (especially in the bulkhead) and the cabin tends to be quieter.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:31 pm
formerly smoaky
Original Poster

Thanks. If it was under $200, I'd do it. Something about the seat selection fee that just annoys the hell out of me.

I'll call and discuss with them tomorrow. It looks like Row 11 is open, which seems to have more room in the LGW 777-200 4 class set-up?

As for regular economy, these planes were recently "refurbished," correct? They are more tightly packed with ten across but is there any upside? I guess the seat isn't as old? I know the 777-200 are themselves two decades old. I saw a photo of the aisle in economy on the new interiors and it nearly gave me a panic attack hah. But then again doesn't AA also operate 10 across on this route? Those don't bother me very much in economy.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Gold
The “is it worth it” question is always a tricky one to answer - as only you can decide what the monetary value of something is to you.

I would take the 192 USD to upgrade from WT to WTP, but then I get free seat selection due to status. I think the difference between WT and WTP is worth it and on a red eye I would value the extra room and comfort in WTP.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:41 pm
formerly smoaky
Original Poster

Don't need tiered points, I don't fly enough for it to matter.

I wonder if it would be any cheaper at check-in? Maybe could avoid a seat-selection fee?

Originally Posted by TTmex
Do you need tier points? or are you crediting to AA? One advantage of WTP is 90 TPs instead of 20 on cheap tickets. Personally, if it's going to cost 250 usd, for a 7 hour hope I wouldn't, but it all depends how much that money is valued to you personally.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:42 pm
formerly smoaky
Original Poster

Yea, that's the thing -- it does seem worth it, but hard to swallow the seat selection fee. Wonder if there's any way around that if I call to take advantage of the upgrade? I already paid to select a window seat in economy as well. Makes one feel they are being nickel and dimed, but I guess at least an upgrade is available.

Originally Posted by flyer_tom
The “is it worth it” question is always a tricky one to answer - as only you can decide what the monetary value of something is to you.

I would take the 192 USD to upgrade from WT to WTP, but then I get free seat selection due to status. I think the difference between WT and WTP is worth it and on a red eye I would value the extra room and comfort in WTP.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
As @HoneymoonFlyer said seat fees ( something that annoys us all don't worry) aren't refundable and they're pretty strict on it. That said I once upgraded from WT to Club and after a chat with a manager ( the phone agents simply can't override the fee or at least that's what I was told) I made clear that I wasn't paying £60 per person when i'd just paid them £1800 extra and politely made clear he could choose between the 120 and the 1800 as they could refund the sale if they wanted the seat fee. I was only a lowly Blue then( although the outbound in Club would make us Bronze) and in fairness he was charming and accepted my point although he made clear it wasn't something they did and I shouldn't ever expect it to be repeated.

It CAN be done but, in my experience anyway, required some polite firmness( i'll emphasize the need for being polite) . If you at least manage that it might make the upgrade seem better. I'll keep my my fingers crossed for you if you decide to give it a try.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:00 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by smoaky
Don't need tiered points, I don't fly enough for it to matter.

I wonder if it would be any cheaper at check-in? Maybe could avoid a seat-selection fee?
Unlikely to be cheaper at checkin. This is probably the best offer you will get, apart from the very small chance of an op-up.
A P Yu likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:03 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
That's a 772 aircraft with 10 across WT seating. That makes a big difference.

Being wider of shoulder and longer of leg than will comfortably fit into 10-across economy/WT seats, I would take a $200 upgrade to WT+ most of the time - especially overnight. This makes the difference, for me, between arriving sore from sitting in a stress position for hours and very fatigued (dense WT) or only tired and not sore (WT+). Sleeping in a non-window WT+ seat is a lot easier than in a non-window WT seat that is too narrow to fit anyone wider than average.

Also tier points, of course, if that matters to you.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I should point out that for a POUG (see relevant thread in the Dashboard) this is on the low side given the dollar pricing. It could easily have been set at a higher figure than POUG + seat fee now. This suggests to me that BA are fairly desperate keen to move people forward, so your WT cabin will probably be full, with people being pushed forward. CW isn't usually so full on the LGW service, it can be a dumping ground for those on irrops.

In any case my understanding on seating fees is that if you move to a higher cabin you can use the existing seat fee as part payment for the new seat, so you pay the delta. Or get a refund on the seat fee!

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...es-and-refunds
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:26 am
formerly smoaky
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I should point out that for a POUG (see relevant thread in the Dashboard) this is on the low side given the dollar pricing. It could easily have been set at a higher figure than POUG + seat fee now. This suggests to me that BA are fairly desperate keen to move people forward, so your WT cabin will probably be full, with people being pushed forward. CW isn't usually so full on the LGW service, it can be a dumping ground for those on irrops.

In any case my understanding on seating fees is that if you move to a higher cabin you can use the existing seat fee as part payment for the new seat, so you pay the delta. Or get a refund on the seat fee!

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...es-and-refunds
Thanks, I'll see.

Maybe a better question, which I should have asked, is how does the new 10 across BA economy on refurbished 777-200s compare with what American flies to LHR? I believe those are 10 across as well? There's a chance I'll have an empty seat (looks like very few economy seats have been selected, but that may be due to fees), so willing to risk Y if there's not much difference from AA.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by smoaky
Thanks, I'll see.

Maybe a better question, which I should have asked, is how does the new 10 across BA economy on refurbished 777-200s compare with what American flies to LHR? I believe those are 10 across as well? There's a chance I'll have an empty seat (looks like very few economy seats have been selected, but that may be due to fees), so willing to risk Y if there's not much difference from AA.
In my experience the seat map (especially in Y) can't really be trusted until very close to the flight, due to there being no free seat selection for non-status pax.

I can't comment on 10-abreast economy comfort (I've managed to avoid it thusfar) but personally would take a <$200 upgrade from WT -> WT+ for an overnight flight, even if it's a short one. Two less pax per row is a pretty significant difference in comfort, plus more leg room etc is all a positive.

As for the seat selection fee (I detest it, I'm very lucky I have status to avoid it) I'd try and see if you can find a kind soul in the call centre to help take what you'd already paid for and offer up some kind of recognition / contribution toward it in the upgraded cabin, but I'm not sure how your luck would go.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:30 pm
formerly smoaky
Original Poster

UPDATE:

I noticed the offer was still at $192 today so called into BA and was told the money I had already paid for a seat selection in economy would go towards whatever I'd pay to select a seat WTP. Still don't like paying for a seat assignment AFTER paying for an upgrade, but that lessened the blow somewhat. In total, I paid $223 for the upgrade. Looking forward to trying out the refurbished WTP.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: BA Exec Blue
I got an unexpected op-up (was it because I paid for a selection fee already? I'm only a Blue...) on the 772 and I found it fairly good. Personally, I wouldn't spend that amount on a slightly bigger seat and some marginally better food, but that really is just me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.