Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Urgent Question/ Re-Routing

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:58 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Shl
Many thanks CWS for the good thoughts. And yes, we are sitting at the Hilton in HEL.
What would you predict they do, if we did nothing tonight and just arrived at our flight tomorrow?
If then, they could not bring us to PHX on time
- from your answer I understand we would lose TPs
- but could we perhaps be entitled for EU261 compensation - if in any case we would arrive 4 hours late?
Firstly we would need to know the cause of the delay (if it happens) so make sure you ask and note down what they say. However Finnair aren't good with EC261 since there isn't a very good small claims system in Finland compared to other EU countries. Best not to assume you are going to get it at this stage.

Personally, bringing what I have seen here, and in the absence of knowing things like your PHX plans (etc) what I would do is stick to the AY trip to LHR, go to T5, ask to be rebooked on the next JFK then next West Coast and then PHX from there. So perhaps accepting SFO, LAS, SAN routings if necessary. There is a danger you will be sent back to T3, however, on the basis that it is an AA ticket.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Shl
lhr - phx 140

lhr -jfk - lax -phx 320
Got it!
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Firstly we would need to know the cause of the delay (if it happens) so make sure you ask and note down what they say. However Finnair aren't good with EC261 since there isn't a very good small claims system in Finland compared to other EU countries. Best not to assume you are going to get it at this stage.

Personally, bringing what I have seen here, and in the absence of knowing things like your PHX plans (etc) what I would do is stick to the trip, go to T5, ask to be rebooked on the next JFK then next West Coast and then PHX from there. So perhaps accepting SFO, LAS, SAN routings if necessary.
Per Flightradar, the aircraft scheduled to operate AY1331/BA6031 is inbound to Helsinki from Singapore, scheduled to arrive 1hr45mins late, landing at 8am.
The other early morning A350 arrival is coming in from Hong Kong early, landing at 5.40am local so there may be a possibility of an aircraft switch?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by rossmacd
You could ask to be routed onto the first BA service of the day (if there is space), and you'll meet the rest of your schedule no problem
HEL departures

It looks as if the OP is booked on the earliest possible flight.

You could maybe ask for an extra connection. For example, at 07:35 there's AY951 to CPH, AY911 to OSL, AY1141 to WAW and AY1571 to CDG, and you could maybe find a BA flight from one of those airports which would take you to LHR in time.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:19 pm

So my experience FWIW is when my outward direct flight was cancelled I worked out a feasible alternative and then phoned BA Holidays and politely requested specific rerouting. I was asked if I would prefer a shorter route with a LHR LGW transfer (which actually ended up longer) but I just politely declined with a ‘No thanks’. Just firmly stick to your guns and know the date and times and flight numbers you want - and alternates JIC. You should be ok.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:36 pm
Shl
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/ Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by Jimbojumbo
So my experience FWIW is when my outward direct flight was cancelled I worked out a feasible alternative and then phoned BA Holidays and politely requested specific rerouting. I was asked if I would prefer a shorter route with a LHR LGW transfer (which actually ended up longer) but I just politely declined with a ‘No thanks’. Just firmly stick to your guns and know the date and times and flight numbers you want - and alternates JIC. You should be ok.
Hi Jimbojumbo and thanks for your suggestions.
AA would book us to everything which makes sense,
However most routes are fully booked in business. (Was on the phone with AA)
-> we might result ending in a direct routing LHR-PHX on BA . Thus my question:
How to receive ORC?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:38 pm
Shl
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

Personally, bringing what I have seen here, and in the absence of knowing things like your PHX plans (etc) what I would do is stick to the AY trip to LHR, go to T5, ask to be rebooked on the next JFK then next West Coast and then PHX from there. So perhaps accepting SFO, LAS, SAN routings if necessary. There is a danger you will be sent back to T3, however, on the basis that it is an AA ticket.
Seeing all options tonight your suggestions make most sense! Will keep anybody updated tomorrow.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:55 pm
Shl
Original Poster

This is what I found from another post

Originally Posted by Geordie405
While I can't answer this specific question, AA have replied to my GF's claim for ORC by saying they won't entertain any claim as the delay is being attributed to ATC. While there certainly was an ATC delay this only occurred after we were delayed because of the mechanical issue with the aircraft. We tried to argue that had the aircraft not needed to have its front tyres replaced then we would have had an on-time departure, and that we were only subjected to the ATC restrictions because of the mechanical issues. AA have said that because we were re-accommodated and booked onto other flights they won't do anything for us.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:56 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Shl, I hope all goes well for you tomorrow. If you have any energy left tonight, this thread is well worth a read.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...r-s-guide.html
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:06 pm
Shl
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero
Shl, I hope all goes well for you tomorrow. If you have any energy left tonight, this thread is well worth a read.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...r-s-guide.html
Thanks Prospero I will have a read through!
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:32 pm
Shl
Original Poster

Update for all: We have been booked to LH and will be arriving LHR on time. Will try to call BA for the missing 80 TP later.
As always I do really appreciate the input from all of you!
For reference our flights are HEL-MUC-LHR on LH 2467/ 2472
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Shl
Update for all: We have been booked to LH and will be arriving LHR on time. Will try to call BA for the missing 80 TP later.
As always I do really appreciate the input from all of you!
For reference our flights are HEL-MUC-LHR on LH 2467/ 2472
Good to read that a solution was found - I assume this was done at the airport (as you were rebooked on a different airline/alliance) - or was this sorted via a phone agent?

Hope in any case that your other flights all go smoothly and you enjoy whatever time you have planned in PHX.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
AY 1331 is mostly a cargo rotation so the aircraft can't easily be swapped unless its for another widebody. I found this out the hard way while AY 1332 was unable to make up a delay due to the time needed to unload the 25 tons of cargo (!) that came from HEL.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:50 pm

They may also have a large amount of SIN-HEL-LHR passengers onboard and prefer to hold the connection - they are a very competitively priced & popular option here especially in J
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:06 pm
Shl
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GinFizz
Good to read that a solution was found - I assume this was done at the airport (as you were rebooked on a different airline/alliance) - or was this sorted via a phone agent?

Hope in any case that your other flights all go smoothly and you enjoy whatever time you have planned in PHX.
amazingly this was done by Finnair via phone

AA could not help. They looked at options from LHR following the delayed arrival but all flights LAX/ MIA/ SFO fully booked in J. They were not open to book us into F/A. Only option would have been LHR-PHX direct via BA or narrow bodies/ 2 class services.

BA was even worse. They could not help at all referring that the ticket was 001.

Still not sure how to get the missing 80TP but will try and keep you all updated.

At least we are on the run again ;-)

thanks all for your participation, good advice and thoughts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.