Wiki Posts
Search

Return vs 2x one way avios bookings

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Return vs 2x one way avios bookings

Just booked a gold priority award LHR-IBZ-LHR and wanted to book as 2 one-ways. But was told it made no difference. I was under the impression that cancelling the inbound after taking the first leg was impossible on a return avios ticket. Agent said no problem if it was more then 24 hours before.

I also thought that sometimes the tax worked out a little cheaper, agent said no.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I’m fairly sure I almost lost 60k avios cancelling an inbound flight from LAS previously, had to beg them to reinstate the ticket when I realised I wasn’t getting the avios back!

She said it might only be on avios plus cash bookings that it was impossible to change?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Always split into oneways whenever the total price is the same. For example, sometimes you might want to keep your return, but cancel your outbound. This is not easy if the outbound and return are on the same ticket.
george77300 and aceman like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aceman
I also thought that sometimes the tax worked out a little cheaper, agent said no.

The agent is talking rubbish. The GPR element only changes avios cost so no impact on the taxes/fees/charges cost.

Short haul e.g. LHR-IBZ-LHR
  • return in Y - £35 (RFS)
  • one way LHR-IBZ Y - £17.50 (RFS)
  • one way IBZ-LHR Y - £8.14
  • saving booking as two one ways - £9.36

Long haul can differ but it may go either way, for example one ways when doing UK->US is really not a good idea, but excellent if doing UK->HK.

Long haul e.g. LHR-JFK-LHR
  • return in J - £667.52
  • one way LHR-JFK J - £445.62
  • one way JFK-LHR J - £444.80
  • saving booking as a return - £222.90

Long haul e.g. LHR-HKG-LHR
  • return in J - £581.72
  • one way LHR-HKG J - £382.12
  • one way JFK-HKG J - £34.10
  • saving booking as two one ways - £165.50

I would say in general booking short haul flights as two one ways can be cheaper as taxes/fees/charges inbound back to the UK can be cheaper than the RFS fee of £17.50/£25. For long haul it really depends so it is worth checking by doing some dummy bookings.

aceman, OldFruity and Yllanes like this.

Last edited by KARFA; Apr 15, 2019 at 10:11 am
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Yeah totally my fault, but I did ask about 8 times if she was sure about this and kept getting yes as a response. It was a choice of really insisting and looking like an idiot or just rolling with it. I booked something else recently online as two one ways and was pretty sure (and surprised) that it cost the same as a return, so thought something might have changed.

can anyone shed light on the cancellation of the inbound leg after taking the outbound? That’s the big one for me...
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by aceman
Yeah totally my fault, but I did ask about 8 times if she was sure about this and kept getting yes as a response. It was a choice of really insisting and looking like an idiot or just rolling with it. I booked something else recently online as two one ways and was pretty sure (and surprised) that it cost the same as a return, so thought something might have changed.

can anyone shed light on the cancellation of the inbound leg after taking the outbound? That’s the big one for me...
Once you have travelled on an outbound journey on an Avios redemption ticket you can’t change or cancel the return.

The other thing to besr bear in mind is thst in the event of a schedule change or cancellation for example BA will rebook your cancelled sector on a cash fare class if necessary free of charge, Any changes to the UNRELATED other one way journey will be subject to an amendment fee and Avios redemption availability, if you need to make a booking to both sectors before and have two one way journeys you will have two fees to pay.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

Once you have travelled on an outbound journey on an Avios redemption ticket you can’t change or cancel the return.
Ok thanks, exactly what I thought! So I was right about the tax difference, and the changing of tickets, I think both things is enough to warrant me calling in and getting it done right.
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:03 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

You can't cancel the return, but you can change the return so long as you are more than 24 hours from the booked return. The terms and conditions say otherwise, but in reality you can do this for the usual amendment fee.

I think booking singles makes a lot of sense and can be cheaper or the same fare, and adds flexibility. However if you end up cancelling the whole trip you could end up with a double fee for rebanking the Avios.
orbitmic, Anonba and HIDDY like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You can't cancel the return, but you can change the return so long as you are more than 24 hours from the booked return. The terms and conditions say otherwise, but in reality you can do this for the usual amendment fee.

I think booking singles makes a lot of sense and can be cheaper or the same fare, and adds flexibility. However if you end up cancelling the whole trip you could end up with a double fee for rebanking the Avios.
Exactly, two ways often makes sense for those of us who can change/cancel avios bookings for free, but for a majority of members, who are probably more likely to change or cancel both ways rather than just one, a return ticket avoids paying the fee twice. It also means that with an irrop you would potentially be able to move the return too while booking separately would not permit that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.