Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Gold recognition on Cathay flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

BA Gold recognition on Cathay flight

I was flying out of Seoul last night on in an overbooked Economy Class flight with 7 Seats left in Premium Economy. I asked at the Check in for an Upgrade to Premium Economy but they refused as the Emerald Status is to low because they Upgrade all Marco Polo Members Tier members incl diamond / Gold and for my surprise Silver before they Upgrade the OW Emerald. The supervisor showed me the upgrade procedure in her system as I could not understand that they preferred their MP silver before OW Emerald. It’s comparable to the bronze status of BA. Does anybody know how the procedures are within BA or other OW member or is it just a Cathay case? Anyway flight was really great also in Eco on an A350 aircraft with emergency exit seats and 2 champagnes from the puser.
tbm13 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Same in American Airlines, AAdvantage Gold pax = OW Ruby is prioritized on the upgrade list ( not free domestic upgrades, international op-ups ) compared to all non-AA OWE, OWS and OWR members.
chan36 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It’s pretty standard to upgrade your own programme elites before those of other airlines even if their passengers status with OW is lower.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
At least u got champagne in y.
I never even get that on ba... 🥂😂🍾💪
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:40 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Yes this is true...

But they also track the spend and value of other OW members on their airline, particularly the ones that live in HKG and spend on F/J tickets and will override that especially if you give them reason to... like if you were to volunteer to take a later flight or be restated to accommodate a family.

​​
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Yes the recognition on BA flights as a Gold Member is often not existing and on Cathay it’s outstanding. Personal greeting on both ways from/to Seoul bottle water and champagne on both legs and a cheese plate on the way to Seoul. When you fly intra Europe with BA no greetings no water nothing.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
never gotten any champagne before so that was a nice touch.

got the bottle of water many times
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
While I disagree on CX's policy on this, the reality is op-up priority is never an OW's published benefit.

So CX is within its rights to do whatever CX deems appropriate.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:26 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by chan36
Yes the recognition on BA flights as a Gold Member is often not existing and on Cathay it’s outstanding. Personal greeting on both ways from/to Seoul bottle water and champagne on both legs and a cheese plate on the way to Seoul. When you fly intra Europe with BA no greetings no water nothing.
I had that with Cathay and Cathay Dragon. I asked for a champagne and got it straight away. Once they even asked for my meal choice before the meal service started (a la Qatar). Note that I was flying MAD-BRU on IB and I got a personal welcome from an IB purser. He then told me to ask if I needed any drink. Seems that all other airlines treat BA’s status customers better than BA.
lhrpete and Vasco Pridat like this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by garykung
While I disagree on CX's policy on this, the reality is op-up priority is never an OW's published benefit.

So CX is within its rights to do whatever CX deems appropriate.
You don't just disagree with CX's policy, you basically disagree with any OW carrier's policy. I do think it is fair that they go by their own members first.
orbitmic and DiamondMile like this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
CX traditionally will not upgrade people if they ask for an upgrade. It is considered poor form.

Besides, everyone goes into whatever algorithm CX uses to prioritise upgrades.

CX will be nice to OWEs.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:53 am

It's always been that way although i think BA Gold used to be equal to CX Gold, at least for the regular flyers they keep track of. I always used to get bumped up until about 3 years ago when it suddenly stopped.

On regional flights PE is often undersold or not sold at all, but every man and his dog in HK is CX Silver or Gold so you'll be at the back of a long queue as a OWE.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Nicc HK
CX traditionally will not upgrade people if they ask for an upgrade. It is considered poor form.

Besides, everyone goes into whatever algorithm CX uses to prioritise upgrades.
I don't know about CX specifically, but I have indeed had multiple check in agents telling me how tired they get of people asking for free upgrades, and in some cases how much they dislike it. There have even been a couple of completely separate cases when I was upgraded at the check in counter and when thanking the agents was told in no uncertain term that it was because I had not asked anything.

I think the one exception is the US where people seem expected to ask for those things anyway, but in many other regions this just comes across as rather awkward and mildly embarrassing.

On the original question, I can confirm that many of the airlines which use FFP as formal criterion tend to prioritise their own status members over partner members of even a much higher status. BA and AF, by contrast, tend to use a fairly opaque system which is as much of a "secret recipe" as some famous liqueurs. Many even suspect that a higher status is not necessarily a bonus in some cases.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:16 am
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
they seem to be changing such order from time to time (for whatever reason), and different order somehow in different purposes...

say this op-up priority, a few years ago it used to be DM+ > DM > GO > OWE > OWS > Silver...or something like that. OWE just after MPO GO but before MPO SL.

but say on airport standby priority (at least my experience in more than a couple of instances in Beijing / Shanghai), I was told clearly OWE is right after MPO DM but ahead of MPO GO...but at least as of a couple of years ago.

I once asked to change to my BA number for a long haul flight in J...then the check-in agent asked me, are you sure, we have seat 1K reserved for you (op up), but if you change to BA number, you'll lose it... but there's also once I have a regional op-up to F...that's already confirmed before I got to the HK airport. I forgot why but maybe I just want to try the system, I asked to change it to BA at check-in, they didn't say anything, and eventually I got to keep the upgrade.

in general, if I put in my BA OWE number they do still ask me for my meal preference first too (I think in most cases they don't know I'm DM). although I don't quite feel they're tracking my spending as an OWE...
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:09 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Having had status in all three alliances at one time or another I would say that each airline upgrades its own members in advance of other status holders from the alliance. The only variation on this I've ever seen is LH who seem to upgrade purely on the value of the ticket rather than status which also seems fair enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.