Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Iceland Road Trip Do, 5th to 8th September 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mtikky
Participants

Arriving on BA800, 5th September: Calchas, CaroFos +1, chris1979, jfallesen, Flexible preferences, Last20, JB7
Departing on BA801, 8th September: Calchas, CaroFos +1, chris1979, jfallesen, Flexible preferences, Last20, JB7

Hotels

Hotel Fljótshlið and Smáratún Farm – 5th–6th: Calchas, chris1979, Flexible preferences, Last20, JB7
Hotel Eyjafjallajokull – 5th–6th: jfallesen

Laxarbakki – 6th–7th: Calchas, chris1979, Flexible preferences, Last20, jfallesen, JB7

Radisson Blu Saga – 7th–8th: Calchas, chris1979, Flexible preferences, Last20
Hilton Nordica – 7th–8th: jfallesen
Icelandair Reykjavik Marina – 7th–8th: JB7

AirBnB 5-8th Reykjavik - CaroFos +1,

Activities

Road trip South Coast and inland: Calchas, chris1979, Flexible preferences, Last20, jfallesen, JB7

Car pooling

jfallesen (4×4): jfallesen, Last20, Flexible preferences
chris1979 (4x4): chris1979, Calchas, StevieD
Print Wikipost

Iceland Road Trip Do, 5th to 8th September 2019

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by CaroFos
Just received notice that the return flight is cancelled due to the BALPA issue. Curse of the Flyertalk do strikes again?
Not wanting to derail this, I’m seeing a few flights cancelled on 8 September due to the strike and this is the day before the strike. A nightmare for everybody.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

Not wanting to derail this, I’m seeing a few flights cancelled on 8 September due to the strike and this is the day before the strike. A nightmare for everybody.
I know. I apologise for my flippancy as it’s dawning on me that the impact is pretty enormous.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT

I know. I apologise for my flippancy as it’s dawning on me that the impact is pretty enormous.
No apologies necessary p, it’s sad it has come to this, hope this do can be salvaged or people get a couple of days extension.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:25 am

What I don’t understand is that if your inbound is cancelled, surely that impacts your outbound. - and that means less that 14 days notice? A friend of mine has had Punta Cana return flight cancelled on the same day. I can understand why you wouldn’t want to have a plane/striking pilot stuck in Punta Cana but not really understanding the problem with flying to and from Iceland the day before.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:38 am

What I don’t understand is that if your inbound is cancelled, surely that impacts your outbound. - and that means less that 14 days notice? A friend of mine has had Punta Cana return flight cancelled on the same day. I can understand why you wouldn’t want to have a plane/striking pilot stuck in Punta Cana but not really understanding the problem with flying to and from Iceland the day before.
There will be no pilots striking away from base.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:44 am

Programs: BAEC
[QUOTE=CaroFos;31449828]
Just received notice that the return flight is cancelled due to the BALPA issue.

I'm massively disappointed. I could extend the trip by a day or maybe two but not until the first available flight, which is showing on Thursday 12th.
What are other people doing in terms of cancelling? Or is there any point hanging on for a bit to see if the strikes are resolved?
I can't find much in the way of alternatives - there is a Finnair via Helsinki to Manchester: AY 992 with an overnight in Helsinki but would this be allowed as it's a different routing?
Puzzlingly, it still seems possible to buy a one way BA801 on the BA website. At least I can click through to the payment page.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by rapidex
There will be no pilots striking away from base.
But surely they'd be home by the strike if its a morning flight from REK to LHR???
Old Aug 24, 2019, 4:06 am

there is a suggestion that some emails have gone out in error.. the flight is still live in MMB... I feel there's a chance there might be a resolution if very lucky.
george77300 likes this.

But surely they'd be home by the strike if its a morning flight from REK to LHR???
I would expect so. BA's reasons for any cancellations are for them to explain. There will be absolutelly no pilots striking away from home. Not ever not any way.

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, LTG
Word of warning for those who do make it to Keflavik. I'm just departing for approximately the 70th time here over the years. KEF this morning was the busiest I can recall at BA's departure time. As is Alex Cruz's wont, BA does not pay to use the fast track security line (unlike FI and SK) so security took me about 20 minutes longer that it otherwise would have. Just made the flight. Also, at check in, I was offered an upgrade to club for approx £100. I took that so that I would get a meal. AFTER taking my money and processing the booking, the agent told me there was unlikely to be a meal onboard. It's an Avios ticket so I will get no TP's, no miles and a slightly better seat...for £100. In fairness, the CSM was v apologetic and promised to raid the M&S buy on board for me. But still...
Old Aug 24, 2019, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by brentford77
Word of warning for those who do make it to Keflavik. I'm just departing for approximately the 70th time here over the years. KEF this morning was the busiest I can recall at BA's departure time. As is Alex Cruz's wont, BA does not pay to use the fast track security line (unlike FI and SK) so security took me about 20 minutes longer that it otherwise would have. Just made the flight. Also, at check in, I was offered an upgrade to club for approx £100. I took that so that I would get a meal. AFTER taking my money and processing the booking, the agent told me there was unlikely to be a meal onboard. It's an Avios ticket so I will get no TP's, no miles and a slightly better seat...for £100. In fairness, the CSM was v apologetic and promised to raid the M&S buy on board for me. But still...
BA load round trip catering and do not upload most short haul flights catering at outstations. I never buy upgrades inbound to LHR for that very reason.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I am not sure what to do here.

Could try to force a reroute. Not many options here.

Could cancel the whole trip now and try to recover our losses.

Could wait it out and see if the strike gets called off.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
I am not sure what to do here.

Could try to force a reroute. Not many options here.

Could cancel the whole trip now and try to recover our losses.

Could wait it out and see if the strike gets called off.
Yes, I can wait a couple of days, but then I have to cancel 2 hotels in order to avoid paying for the rooms. One hotel, Radisson, I chose non-refund rate so am already down 204Euro there. Unfortunately must return on the Sunday due to returning to work on the Monday. What a shame
Old Aug 24, 2019, 9:18 am

There are stories emerging of people cancelling hotel bookings /connecting flights, and then finding their flights are not cancelled at all.. I wouldn't do anything in a hurry - ultimately insurance will hopefully cover if worst comes to worse?
george77300 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Let’s leave it for a few days. Makes no sense to cancel a non-nightstopping flight the day before
Last20 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.