Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Best use of 55k avios (85k with AMEX) for Carribean/MCO Honeymoon?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AMEX Platinum

Hope someone can offer some good advice. Planning our honeymoon from June (planning on flying EDI 26th June or thereabouts) and looking at a week in the Caribbean (flexible, potentially St Lucia) and then 10ish days in Orlando. I've got around 55k Avios plus 30k AMEX membership points. Would anyone have any suggestions on the best use of them to get the best value? eithe on Flights or Hotel or BA Hols?

Thanks
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by fudgeukraine
Hope someone can offer some good advice. Planning our honeymoon from June (planning on flying EDI 26th June or thereabouts) and looking at a week in the Caribbean (flexible, potentially St Lucia) and then 10ish days in Orlando. I've got around 55k Avios plus 30k AMEX membership points. Would anyone have any suggestions on the best use of them to get the best value? eithe on Flights or Hotel or BA Hols?

Thanks
If you plan to fly in Economy Class, I doubt that you will realize much value from your Avios for the TATL flights. I would probably pay cash for those flights, and look to using your Avios and/or Amex points for the one-way from the Caribbean to MCO. Also, depending on flight costs, you might be better off paying for an EDI-MCO roundtrip -- or maybe even an EDI-MIA//MCO-EDI roundtrip -- and use your Avios for a MIA-Caribbean nonstop on AA, and then Caribbean-MCO trip with Avios or Amex points. Once you decide on which Caribbean island you will visit, look at the island airport's Wikipedia page to see if any carrier offers nonstops to MCO.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
How about a cheap Premium Economy fare from
scandinavia to MCO and then use the Avios to UUA? Check J availability first though. Then book a positioning flight and have a dual-venue holiday. On a honeymoon I’d be nervous about having separate MCO-Caribbean tickets.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
On a honeymoon I’d be nervous about having separate MCO-Caribbean tickets.
If the first ticket is on BA and the second ticket is on AA, AA will ensure protection in the event of IRROPS.

And depending on which Caribbean island, an overnight in MCO (or even MIA) might be necessary anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.