Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Using OneWorld Sapphire Status to Avoid Seat Selection Fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using OneWorld Sapphire Status to Avoid Seat Selection Fees

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2021, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Turkish Gold, Spire Amb, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Silver
RJ and Finnair worked for me

Just updating the thread with my DP from today. I booked with BA Avios, but my relevant status is with Alaska. RJ would have worked EXCEPT they don't have AS listed as a Oneworld partner yet. With RJ I was able to remove my BA FF#, by selecting "None" as my FF partner. So, if AS had been an option, that would have worked I think. I tried Finnair without much hope as it has been hit or miss for me the last few tries (mostly miss). But, Finnair did work. I changed to my AS number and then went back to BA and selected my seats for no charge.
1Aturnleft and Klrduks like this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 11:48 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Just worked for me today. It took a minute and then when I went back into manage my booking, I was able to select seats for free.
One World Sapphire
Old Nov 1, 2022, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA/AS/UA; Bonvoy
Two questions for the board (booking a BA flight as AA Plat / OW Sapphire):

1) Does the free seat selection benefit apply to "Economy Basic" fares or only "Economy Standard" fares?
2) Does the free seat selection benefit include extra legroom seats, or just standard economy seats? If extra legroom seats are not included, is there a discount, or are they full price?
Old Nov 1, 2022, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Artagnan
Two questions for the board (booking a BA flight as AA Plat / OW Sapphire):

1) Does the free seat selection benefit apply to "Economy Basic" fares or only "Economy Standard" fares?
2) Does the free seat selection benefit include extra legroom seats, or just standard economy seats? If extra legroom seats are not included, is there a discount, or are they full price?
1) It will cover any Economy fare.

2) This depends, if flying Shorthaul in Europe the exit row is available. However particularly on A319/320 this may be lost should the J cabin reach these rows. Row 10 on 319 + 11+12 on the 320. For the 321 it depends on whether Neo or CEO. On the CEO the front exit row 10 can be in J, for the Neo row 16 will be in Y. Both rear exits regardless of type will always be in Y.

If flying longhaul the emergency exit is not available for free - will be full price - but the bulkheads are free.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA/AS/UA; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Cw novice
1) It will cover any Economy fare.

2) This depends, if flying Shorthaul in Europe the exit row is available. However particularly on A319/320 this may be lost should the J cabin reach these rows. Row 10 on 319 + 11+12 on the 320. For the 321 it depends on whether Neo or CEO. On the CEO the front exit row 10 can be in J, for the Neo row 16 will be in Y. Both rear exits regardless of type will always be in Y.

If flying longhaul the emergency exit is not available for free - will be full price - but the bulkheads are free.
Makes sense - thank you! Bummer about the exit row but so it goes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.