Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: BA Gold4life, ICH RA, Hyatt Gold and others
Originally Posted by Prospero
I suspect what we’ll see (in relation to 772 and 773 refits) is
  • A contraction of F area and a reduction in the number of F seats
  • An expansion of CW area and possible increase in the number of CW seats
  • An expansion of WT+ area and increase in the number of WT+ seats
  • A contraction of WT area but seat numbers remain largely unchanged due to 3-4-3 densification
Spot on I suspect. 10 abreast Y now makes sense
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Mutu
Spot on I suspect. 10 abreast Y now makes sense
All part of The Grand Plan!
And those in Y suffer for the benefit of all those further forward!
cauchy likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
AFAIK some 777 are seeing an increase in seats due to the reduction in F and World Traveller.

I can't find the exact numbers now but on the 777, like for like in the main cabin, it is about a 12% reduction in seats. Very little compared to what you get.

Let's take the Qatar Airways Qsuite as another example, versus their terrible 2x2x2 777 product. Qsuite has 24 seats between the two sets of doors. The old 777 has ..... 24 seats.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Prospero
  • A contraction of WT area but seat numbers remain largely unchanged due to 3-4-3 densification
I assume the 777-9's will be delivered with 3-4-3 & 18" width seats, given the wider fuselage.
Assume in 10-15 years we'll be having a discussion as each 777x customer moves Y to 3-5-3.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by YacozA
....Assume in 10-15 years we'll be having a discussion as each 777x customer moves Y to 3-5-3.
Are the exit doors ok for that?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Fewer seats would increase yield, assuming demand stayed equal? It’s going to be hard to tell, as BA are likely to canabalise space from the F cabin and densify Y, so absolute numbers of seats wont change massively.

If they do fewer promotions like the one-way upgrade to F for a CW return, I think they will be pretty happy, overall.

My guess is that the 777-300s will be the first done, once the LGW fleet has been densified. Partly to match the new-builds which are coming with CWS in 2020. I wonder if they will manage to get 2 rows of F and 2 Rows of CWS between doors 1&2.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BrianDromey
...My guess is that the 777-300s will be the first done,....I wonder if they will manage to get 2 rows of F and 2 Rows of CWS between doors 1&2.
Other airlines have.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Or at the very back of the top deck on a SQ high J 380
Those are amongst the best seats! I'm flying in the back row on JFK-FRA-SIN in a couple of weeks, you don't have the tiny foot cubby and it's like a miniature cabin back behind those doors.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by richardwft
Are the exit doors ok for that?
Did some reading and appears 777x only has 4 doors a side (lacking the 773's 5th overwing door) so exit capacity is 475 (rather than 550).

Suspect even at double-decker J and 3-5-3 Y they BA config would still be below this, given BA's quotes as 325 seats at launch :P
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:38 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
On many, flight the J cabin is filled, in some cases the last 10-20 seats by Staff enjoying their well deserved travel concessions. Sadly it will be these people who lose out with any loss of J seats, as they have seen this year at Gatwick with the 32J seat reductions - suddenly those second homes in Barbados aren't as attractive.

I think they call it 'Rightsizing' - having the right number of seats you can actually sell for healthy fares. so I don't think Yield will suffer at all, or fares changing significantly as a result. The Club Suite aircraft will of course attract a premium for the first couple of years until it becomes more common sight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.