Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Classy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:15 am

I called out the posting of the picture and I can assure you I would never be caught behaving like this.

I was raised in a family of keen manners and helpful life advice such as "Two wrongs don't make a right" and "People who live in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones".

Suggesting that the people who object to OP posting the photo would likely behave that way is simply nonsense.
rickg523 and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fransknorge
As someone mention, this could be a soothing position. If my autoimmune disease flares up right after a flight (as it might unfortunately happen) I might take comfort in this position to soothe the pain. I would certainly not asked for me to be on the Internet.
So no, some might truly believe that taking a picture of someone and posting it in a public place is simply morally reprehensible. It is also illegal in several jurisdiction. So the idea that "next time it could be them" is ludicrous and probably tell more about yourself than people genuinely thinking that the OP itself is not a classy act.
I can assure you, I am a classy act.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:12 am

Or me! And I’m wearing navy blue. I know better.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by PJSMITH0
Thank god for Puccini. Someone not afraid to tell it like it is. This is a reflection on today’s standards of behaviour and and it amazes me that someone pointing out this slobbish behaviour becomes the bad guy and guess what it’s BA’s fault for having settee that are old and scratched. Yes you can do this at home but that’s your domain. This is a public place and not a dosshouse
It's an airline lounge that provides couches. Often there are passengers who have traveled long distances, had their sleep disrupted, are facing a lengthy layover, have a medical conditions, etc. so it's hardly a surprise someone would have a nap. I've done it and will do it again.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:09 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Does it simply not indicate a need for recliners or similar set-up to some of the LX lounges (I'm pretty sure it was a LX one I used although not 100% sure) where there are essentially sleeping areas? They are designated 'quiet' areas as well, where talking and noises are not permitted. It seems like a really good solution to me, and I tried it out to chill out for a while and it was really nice (I did it to get away from people's noises)

I'm pretty sure people would rather not sleep in public like this if there is an appropriate area?

Actually SIN terminals have public resting areas with very deeply reclined seats that appear simple and cheap to put up (they are not mechanical recliners, they are designed to be in a very reclined position).

While I would never, ever be caught sleeping across a sofa like this, I'd happily use those recliners designed and intended for sleep.

Maybe LHR/BA could take notice of people's behaviour and offer solutions to that?
Eskimoboy, klmml and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Every solution has an associated problem, of course ... would the 'sleepers' risk missing their flights?

Or would the lounge employ 'Wakers' to give you a nudge when your next Gate has been declared?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Every solution has an associated problem, of course ... would the 'sleepers' risk missing their flights?
I think there were reminders that it was your responsibility to make sure to get up for your flight at the lounge.

I can't recall seeing such reminders at SIN.

The sofa sleepers have the same risk anyway, and so are non-hogging sleepers (those who simply fell asleep vertical) so it probably doesn't make much difference to the risk. It's better to sleep in a planned manner and put an alarm on than to fall asleep and being photographed and then possibly miss the flight
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
That might be us in a couple of months' time as we get off the HKG flight at some unearthly hour and have to wait till after 1600 for our connection - BA kindly moved us from 1025 to 1625 so almost 11 hours in the CCR/Flounge!

I do have the manners to remove my shoes!
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by T8191

Or would the lounge employ 'Wakers' to give you a nudge when your next Gate has been declared?
When I felt the need to sleep in a lounge I've set my smart phone alarm to ensure I don't miss my flight.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Does it simply not indicate a need for recliners or similar set-up to some of the LX lounges (I'm pretty sure it was a LX one I used although not 100% sure) where there are essentially sleeping areas? They are designated 'quiet' areas as well, where talking and noises are not permitted. It seems like a really good solution to me, and I tried it out to chill out for a while and it was really nice (I did it to get away from people's noises)

I'm pretty sure people would rather not sleep in public like this if there is an appropriate area?

Actually SIN terminals have public resting areas with very deeply reclined seats that appear simple and cheap to put up (they are not mechanical recliners, they are designed to be in a very reclined position).

While I would never, ever be caught sleeping across a sofa like this, I'd happily use those recliners designed and intended for sleep.

Maybe LHR/BA could take notice of people's behaviour and offer solutions to that?
The previous AY premium lounge at HEL had a very quiet, curtained area with lounge chairs, and pillows and blankets available on stands nearby. I hope they will keep it, because it was very, very comfortable.
LTN Phobia and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:22 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I think that there is a genuine difference between having a nap, and lying across an entire sofa with your legs in the air. Ignoring the protests, my concern has been - and this is quite intesting to me. I'm always concerned that if I fell asleep in the Lounge that I might not wake in time for my flight. As there are rarely any announcements - which I do think is a good thing - I set an alarm on my Ipad to wake me. However, that means that anyone else who is trying to doze, is also disturbed. and I don't like doing that.
beamac likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:34 am

Dont ever turn up at Stansted at 3am like i did and go through departures. Your head will explode.
Sealink and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:37 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by MiraculousM
Dont ever turn up at Stansted at 3am like i did and go through departures. Your head will explode.
Dear, it is an inflexible rule of mine that I never turn up at 3am anyway least of all Essex International airport. I always feel that I need a bath just being in that dreadful place,
Sealink, LTN Phobia, T8191 and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I set an alarm on my Ipad to wake me. However, that means that anyone else who is trying to doze, is also disturbed. and I don't like doing that.
Phone on vibrate. Some phones vibrate fairly strongly, which I hope would wake most people.

Originally Posted by Cheapskate22
He should take the shoes off, but people lie on their sofas at home, so why not in a lounge?
A lounge is a public area. The sofas in my sitting room are definitely not in a public area...
PUCCI GALORE and IAMORGAN like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
A lounge is a public area. The sofas in my sitting room are definitely not in a public area...
Ahh, sofas [plural].

Not that I ever imagined you lived in a 2-up 2-down, of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.