FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   380 or 777 in F from LHR-HKG (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1961813-380-777-f-lhr-hkg.html)

benjai Mar 22, 2019 11:38 am

Agreed on the original MO (not Landmark). I'm a local but no longer live in HK yet visit frequently. Having stayed in loads of different hotels, MO tops the all. The location is perfect and the service and attention to detail is second to none. Everything is just really well thought out. Stayed once in a suite around the corner at the new MO and whilst at first glance everything is new and shiny, it's simply not as well polished as the old MO.

corporate-wage-slave Mar 22, 2019 1:13 pm

And have a look at the HKG trip reports from PETER01.

I'm a former resident of HKG and was there for the handover. Off the top of my head I would suggest this admittedly clichéd list:
- Peak (tram up, walk down)
- Star Ferry
- One of the smaller islands for a fish supper
- Hollywood on Friday evening to see the young blades
- Tram ride (Upper Deck of course)
- Tsim Sha Tsui and/or Times Square and/or Pacific Place
- A day fish market (Mongkok maybe)
- A night market - don't forget to haggle - Temple Street
- Hong Kong park on a quiet Saturday morning, hearing the wildlife from the zoo nearby

mmxbreaks Mar 23, 2019 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Bullswood (Post 30911760)
The recently opened Murray has joined my top picks.

Stayed here last week and it was good. Next door to the tram, too, so easy to get up the peak.

Those saying Peninsula. Nah. It's terribly located. Personally I'd avoid staying on Kowloon - it's easy to get there for when you want (use the Star Ferry for like 20p) and you'll find it's just full of people trying to sell you suits and bad food. Island side is where it's at.

Plane choice: A380 hands down. Bigger seat area, more stable ride, better air quality, lower noise - it's better in every way.

PS. You must go to a Din Tai Fung and order xiaolongbao. Unless you're vegetarian. Then go and get vegetable wonton instead.

BobServant Mar 23, 2019 6:36 am

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks (Post 30920009)
Stayed here last week and it was good. Next door to the tram, too, so easy to get up the peak.

Those saying Peninsula. Nah. It's terribly located. Personally I'd avoid staying on Kowloon - it's easy to get there for when you want (use the Star Ferry for like 20p) and you'll find it's just full of people trying to sell you suits and bad food. Island side is where it's at.

Plane choice: A380 hands down. Bigger seat area, more stable ride, better air quality, lower noise - it's better in every way.

PS. You must go to a Din Tai Fung and order xiaolongbao. Unless you're vegetarian. Then go and get vegetable wonton instead.

Star Ferry is now HKD3.70 for upper deck, so almost 40p! Still one of the best value activities ever.

rjhcambs Mar 23, 2019 6:46 am

And if you are over 65 get a senior Octopus card the Star ferry is free! Also hIghly discounted fares on ferries, trams and MTR apart from Airport Express make travelling around very cheap.