Wiki Posts
Search

Tier Points (BA) v Elite Points (IB)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club
Tier Points (BA) v Elite Points (IB)

Sorry if this question has been asked a billion times before.

My BA Tier Point year has just ended (MAR18-MAR19) and I managed to collect 1890 Tier Points to hit GOLD (Emerald)

Can I migrate these over to Iberia in order to secure 2 years worth of Emerald Status on their programme?

Thanks

Steven
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
No, I don't think so - but if you're BA Gold you are OneWorld Emerald so should have the same benefits on IB as one of their 'own' Emeralds more or less...at least in terms of lounge access, fast-track etc.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Cheers - It's just that 'Emerald' with Iberia is valid for 2 years, with BA it only goes one year

With Iberia i'd have Emerald to 2021, not 2020 as with BA

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Mar 20, 2019 at 6:46 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by src0131
Cheers - It's just that 'Emerald' with Iberia is valid for 2 years, with BA it only goes one year
Just think: If it were that easy to get two years of Emerald for only one year's worth of BA Tier Points, wouldn't everyone be doing it?
etiene likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, KL Gold, LH FTL, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, Hertz PC
Short answer: No, you can't.

Longer answer:
Tier points / status miles / elite points etc. etc. are not a "currency" and cannot be transferred / redeemed or even spent in any FF program.
You can do this with "currencies" of the FF programs (such as Avios, Bonus Miles, Q-Miles etc.) - you can transfer them (IB <-> BA; Hotel programs <-> Flight programs), you can redeem them for flights, upgrades or pay with them in Duty Free shops.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Yeah, for what I had in BA TPs, If that had been via Iberia, it would have been 2 years of Emerald

Look at Iberia on here
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Just think: If it were that easy to get two years of Emerald for only one year's worth of BA Tier Points, wouldn't everyone be doing it?
It can be as easy to get IB+ Platino status as BAEC Gold, but you need to do 3000+ mile flights in J instead of 2000. Many Qatar and BA routes (esp. TATL) easily cross the threshold.

However, your typical TP runner would struggle...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.