Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Advice: Parent kicked out of seat by "celebrity"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: davie355
When the name of the “celebrity” is revealed, it shall be posted here
Print Wikipost

Advice: Parent kicked out of seat by "celebrity"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
We were not there to hear the conversation and I can imagine that it was very difficult for your father to refuse with this person standing over him but he must have agreed to move, it doesn’t sound like he was dragged to 5E?
I can understand that when he sat down in 5E he realised how badly this person had treated him.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jed
Name and shame the ‘celebrity’ and also complain to BA about the crew’s handling of the situation. Also inform the press- it’s exactly the sort of thing they go for.
Please explain what the crew did wrong?
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, UA Premier Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Various Rental Car Statuses
Originally Posted by Can I help you

It sounds like the crew didn’t stick up for the OP’s father and even supported the “important BA customer you should move” line....
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:21 pm
Suspended

If they are flying commercial and not private, they are not celebrities.
NPF, nancypants and b00mer89 like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:21 pm

I don't know exactly what happened here, but if the crew actually encouraged the OP's elderly father to move from his assigned seat for some reason, then that is not a good thing at all.

Indeed, if I am to expect that crew are considerably more experienced in these types of situations than the OP's father would have been, then anything less than crew reassuring the OP's father, "this is your seat, you don't need to move unless you want to - don't worry" is an experience that, were I in the OP's shoes, would have me rather disgruntled.
Jed, simpleflyer, trooper and 6 others like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:22 pm
Suspended

I hate to say it, but Daily Mail might love the story and may publish the full name of this said bully.
Jed, smuDC-10, trooper and 10 others like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:24 pm

The crew should have told the ........ to go and sit in his assigned seat!! Full stop! Many people take a request from crew much more seriously.... and its simply wrong to put THAT kind of pressure on a passenger. I am usually opposed to the "tell the media" type resolutions that are often proposed...but I'll tell you, in THIS case even I can see the justification. Unless of course a complaint to BA (which should be made first) results in a substantial act of contrition. And I mean substantial!
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
Turfing an 80 year old man out of his seat. Very poor show by the BA cabin crew.
nancypants and MarkFlies like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The crew told the “celebrity” that their seat was 5E, knowing the space available around 1A it would be difficult for the crew member to be aware what was said, if the OPs father stood up to move I am sure the crew would have helped him move his possessions.
We were not there, we don’t know what was said and don’t forget we are talking about two adult men in First.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: QF WP
I was on a CE once back in the days when one half of the cabin had the sort of half seat in the middle and the other side had 3 full seats (hopefully this will make sense to regulars). Might even have been my first time in CE

i was asked by a bloke to switch from 1F to 1A, as he wanted his girlfriend to “move” into the empty 1D but physically occupy 1E so they could sit next to each other. I would therefore retain an empty seat in my row

i was rather tired and it didn’t seem something worth arguing over so I just shifted

However not sure if I was afflicted by RBF or what but the crew evidently thought they saw displeasure on my face, and came to check that I was in fact happy to move. I got the feeling if i’d said “no” they would have had old mate move back

i suppose you could make an argument the crew should have done that. However it’s really not an easy situation for them to be in either

must say my guess for the initials would be PM. Although just looking up his brexit stance i’m not sure that he necessarily fits the bill
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikem004
Turfing an 80 year old man out of his seat. Very poor show by the BA cabin crew.
Where did you read that the cabin crew turfed him out of his seat, to me it sounds like he agreed to move and realised how he had been treated later?
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Can I help you; Mar 17, 2019 at 3:42 pm
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:47 pm

An old man deserves to be kicked out of a seat; a father does not!
sonofzeus likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Killian_S
... to my surprise, the cabin crew member then did as asked. Dad then complained to the cabin manager, but was met with indifference from that lady. To not cause a fuss (and of course age being an issue), he moved to 5E.

How I wish I was there.
My comment above is based on the OP's original post which includes above account. Mind you, the OP was not there either (wishes he had been) but unless he's misrepresenting his father's own account, I see little reason to question that he felt he had little choice but to do as the crew seemingly told him.

Like I originally said, it's hard to know what happened here, but that an 81-year old man voluntarily offered up 1A for 5E whilst cabin crew watched seems more implausible than that he was somehow pressured into moving and that cabin crew did nothing to offer remedy to the rightful occupant of the seat.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:50 pm

Where did you read that the cabin crew turfed him out of his seat, to me it sounds like he agreed to move and realised how he had been treated later?
The question is whether or not the crew asking him to move is "duress".
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The cabin crew never asked him to move, they help after the OPs father agreed to move but they did tell the celebrity that they were seated in 5E.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.