Search

Cherry tomatoes onboard

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Cherry tomatoes onboard

A bit of Sunday silliness but why not?

Following a second ‘trousergate’ incident on the same trip involving said item, I am thinking BA should reconsider the widespread use of cherry tomatoes in their lounge and onboard catering. The combination of their rolling , squirting and staining attributes make them a tricky customer onboard.

Anyone else got any thoughts, danger foods to add to the list or amusing clothing related incidents on BA to recount?

I used to have a zero tolerance approach to oily dressing on springy salad leaves but relaxed that recently with no harm done yet.
mikeyfly, tedcruz, Lefly and 6 others like this.

Last edited by Woodbinerich; Mar 17, 2019 at 5:04 am
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Highly pressurised cherry tomatoes are lethal. Tumeric heavy curry comes close.
squawk, T8191, Lefly and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
Especially as the cooked tomatoes tend to have internal core temperatures indicating the presence of some sort of nuclear fusion
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Highly pressurised cherry tomatoes are lethal. ...
Of course, when BA included a toothpick in the cutlery roll, you could use it to carefully depressurise the tomato before attacking it with the provided blunt implements for eating.
Sealink, Oncewild, SK and 7 others like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:17 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
Following a second ‘trousergate’ incident on the same trip involving said item, I am thinking BA should reconsider the widespread use of cherry tomatoes in their lounge and onboard catering. The combination of their rolling , squirting and staining attributes make them a tricky customer onboard.
A certain airline (long been defunct) with multi-coloured silly tie for their pilots had a habit of putting cherry tomatoes on their crew meal. The rumour had it that the patterns on their tie was so that the cherry tomato attacks wouldn't show up on them.

If I have a suspicion about the squirtiness of the cherry tomato and decide to eat it despite that, I uncouthly scoop it with a tea spoon and eat it whole during travels to avoid being squirted.

I find that the worst ones are actually the baked ones that BA sometimes serves up. They are extra squirty if they hadn't been pre-depressurised. Much more dangerous than uncooked ones.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 17, 2019 at 5:29 am
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: QF WP
Yogurts in pots and those god awful little contact lens cases of milk (no idea what the technical term is)
Woodbinerich likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:25 am
Original Poster

The offender today!

Last edited by Woodbinerich; Mar 17, 2019 at 5:28 am Reason: Photo
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:30 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Woodbinerich

The offender today!
I did say they're more dangerous baked than fresh!

Originally Posted by nancypants
Yogurts in pots and those god awful little contact lens cases of milk (no idea what the technical term is)
Milk jiggers. They're pretty bad but the sachets can be even worse for squirting.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 17, 2019 at 8:15 am
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Do you think I could argue for an opup on my flight to ORY tomorrow on health and safety grounds - i.e. so that I don't have to risk the cherry tomato with the ET breakfast?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Superheated scrambled egg core too
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
After my early years of flying and disembarking a flight looking like a walking Jackson Pollock picture, I now have a very slow and deliberate way of unpacking everything, covering myself up with the napkin as best as possible (discovered the button hole on the Qantas domestic J napkin earlier this month and used it to prevent any soup mishaps) and attacking everything very slowly. All packets get opened facing away from me. Any foil covering the meals gets lifted and twisted so the condensed steam drips back into the meal and not on me. Any meals that have any type of sauce, dressing or gravy require a deliberate hunch over the tray to avoid slops.

I find breakfast dishes, like the above, the worst offenders for the amount of fluid floating about the bottom of the plate. You might pick up a piece of bacon and a bit of fluid comes flying off as it makes it way to your mouth. Or a bit of sauce from the baked beans decides it doesn't want to go with the bean and does a kamikaze dive onto your white shirt. (Note to self, never travel in white again).
Prospero likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
tomato, and any sealed surface--deadly!
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:03 am

Everyone should be given a bib! And for those in first class... a designer one to match their PJs
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia

If I have a suspicion about the squirtiness of the cherry tomato and decide to eat it despite that, I uncouthly scoop it with a tea spoon and eat it whole during travels to avoid being squirted.

The 'teaspoon gobble" , or indeed for cold ones, finger lead "pop and chew" are established strategies for dealing with these notorious squirters.

Apparently sandwiching them between two side plates facing inwards and then slicing that way also can minimise collateral damage to your shirt.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by dddc
After my early years of flying and disembarking a flight looking like a walking Jackson Pollock picture, I now have a very slow and deliberate way of unpacking everything, covering myself up with the napkin as best as possible (discovered the button hole on the Qantas domestic J napkin earlier this month and used it to prevent any soup mishaps) and attacking everything very slowly. All packets get opened facing away from me. Any foil covering the meals gets lifted and twisted so the condensed steam drips back into the meal and not on me. Any meals that have any type of sauce, dressing or gravy require a deliberate hunch over the tray to avoid slops.

I find breakfast dishes, like the above, the worst offenders for the amount of fluid floating about the bottom of the plate. You might pick up a piece of bacon and a bit of fluid comes flying off as it makes it way to your mouth. Or a bit of sauce from the baked beans decides it doesn't want to go with the bean and does a kamikaze dive onto your white shirt. (Note to self, never travel in white again).
Eh, what's all that about baked beans? Never seen those feature in a BA breakfast, more's the pity. It got to the point on my old domestics out of T1 that I was smuggling a sachet of tomato ketchup on board to go with my sausage and bacon...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.