Wiki Posts
Search

Bronze to Silver - and chance

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Bronze to Silver - and chance

My travelling companion lost Silver because she had to make a DCB-MEL round trip and got no TPs with that due to the changes with QF and EK. Thus, she was 70 Avios short of Silver and lost it.
Right now she is Bronze with 300 Avios and 2 sectors. Later this month she is flying DXB-HKG-MEL round trip with Cathay, but unknown to me she is going cheapseats and will get only 70 Avios. So, I bid in Bus to Hkg and PE to Mel, in an effort to get more Avios. If the bids are successful she gets a lit more Avios.
Then, in July Aug she will do 4 BA sectors between DXB-YYZ but has not booked them yet. Probably I will get her into PE so that will give her 360 Avios. Another HKG-CDG sector will give her more Avios, and double if she returns via BA.

Basic question: with 2 sectors and 300 Avios in Bronze, what does she need to regain Silver?
Thanks for info as I could not figure it out from the Sticky.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
to earn / retain silver she needs 4 BA qualified flights AND 600 Tier points in total within her earning year,

(note to avoid confusion avios and tier points aren't the same - you need tier points for status)
Old Mar 16, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: BAEC
As per the post above... I believe you mean Tier Points rather than Avios. Avios are the currency, Tier Points are the account status i.e gold or silver account.

Silver requires 600 Tier Points and 4 qualifying flights.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by tmac100
Later this month she is flying DXB-HKG-MEL round trip with Cathay, but unknown to me she is going cheapseats and will get only 70 Avios. So, I bid in Bus to Hkg and PE to Mel, in an effort to get more Avios. If the bids are successful she gets a lit more Avios.
I don't know how CX's bidding system works, so others may be able to chip in with whether a successful bid will actually mean that she will earn TPs (which is what you're really interested in, as UKtravelbear says) at the higher rate, or whether she will still only earn at the rate for the original booked ticket. But there is potentially an issue here, so unless/until it's confirmed, don't count on this trip necessarily earning any more than 70 TPs even if the bids are successful.
Originally Posted by tmac100
Basic question: with 2 sectors and 300 Avios in Bronze, what does she need to regain Silver?
To make it crystal clear: If she already has 2 eligible flights and 300 TPs, she will need 2 more eligible flights and 300 more TPs to attain Silver.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: QF WP
What’s this qantas/emirates changes part? I thought EK still credited to BAEC just fine if booked as a QF codeshare?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:51 pm

With 300 TP and 2 BA flights already, DXB-LHR-YYX in PE on BA will give 360 more TP and 4 BA flights, so she will end up with 660 TP and 6 BA flights, comfortably crossing the threshold for Silver. Doing that trip in Y would still get the 4 flights, but at most 280 TP, leaving her 20 TP short of Silver.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Pardon my mistake with writing Avios instead of Tier Points. So, it seems she will have enough BA sectors by the end of the summer (7 or 8) and then with the 4 long haul sectors in Premium Economy she will get 360 TPs. So, it seems she will be silver again by the time she reaches LHR on her return to DXB - and maybe sooner if she gets some extra TPs from her (hopefully upgraded) CX flight sectors.

Thanks to all for this advice/info.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
If I recall correctly from another thread (that I can't find right now), using bid for upgrade on CX doesn't bring more TPs and avios; earnings are still based on the original booked class.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lefly
If I recall correctly from another thread (that I can't find right now), using bid for upgrade on CX doesn't bring more TPs and avios; earnings are still based on the original booked class.
Hence the need to fly DXB-YYZ (return) in PE
Thanks for the reminder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.