Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

On Line Check-in for multiple legs. Seat Selection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:07 am
Original Poster

I did a search, but could not find anything related.

Might be a dumb question, but, I have a business J flight from DUB – LHR – JNB - DUR

Once check-in opens for the first flight, will I be able to check in for the 2nd one as well, as I am mainly worried about seat selection on the LHR-JNB section. as I have no status and refuse to pay £100 for a seat.

Dub – LHR flight is at 15:50 pm, and LHR – JNB is 21:00 pm departure.

Thanks.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
yes once OLCI opens for the DUB-LHR flight you should beable to check in and select seats for the LHR-JNB at the same time.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Seat selection opens at T-48h, by the way, that may be useful to you Just change your booking at 9pm two days before.

Luckily this flight, if it's a return flight, should bring you to Bronze so it'll be easier next time!
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi.

You may need to check in for the dub lhr flight first then go back and check in for the jnb flight as I sometimes found ba. Com does not let both flights being checked in at the same time on the first attempt.

Regards

Tbs
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. As I will be at work, i will check 48 hours before, then 24 hours a swell.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Mike_Smith
Thanks for the replies. As I will be at work, i will check 48 hours before, then 24 hours a swell.
Yes just keep checking very regularly and DO NOT print your BP until as late as possible as this will allow you to change your seat relatively easily.

Just keep an eye on the seat map in MMB which can change a lot especially within T-24 and specifically right up to a few hours beforehand and closer still.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by thebigben
Seat selection opens at T-48h, by the way, that may be useful to you Just change your booking at 9pm two days before.
Sorry, this must be me being slow, but if a non-status passenger is booked DUB-LHR-JNB, ie on a long-haul fare, why would they get seat selection at T-48h? I agree that when OLCI opens for DUB-LHR at 1550 the day before travel, the passenger should be able to select seats for both DUB-LHR and LHR-JNB because of the (relatively short) connection through-check, but what would give them free seat selection earlier than that?
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
You may need to check in for the dub lhr flight first then go back and check in for the jnb flight as I sometimes found ba. Com does not let both flights being checked in at the same time on the first attempt.
This is true, but I would suggest first trying to OLCI for both flights at the same time. The reason is that sometimes, if you check-in for the first flight alone at T-24h, you cannot immediately go back to check-in for the second flight because that is still more than 24 hours ahead. I see this more often when there's a long (but still <24h) connection between the two flights (hence the use of the words "relatively short" above), so it may not happen to the OP, but I think it would still be better to try to check-in for both flights at the same time, and only go to do them one-by-one if that fails.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Sorry, this must be me being slow, but if a non-status passenger is booked DUB-LHR-JNB, ie on a long-haul fare, why would they get seat selection at T-48h? I agree that when OLCI opens for DUB-LHR at 1550 the day before travel, the passenger should be able to select seats for both DUB-LHR and LHR-JNB because of the (relatively short) connection through-check, but what would give them free seat selection earlier than that?
They just do, it's how BA did it. Because of the theoretical seating, their choice will be limited by their status, but they can still "choose" a seat.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think there is some confusion here. For short haul plus fares give seat selection at 48hrs. Basic/plus fares are only on one way or simple short haul returns. The OP will not be on a plus fare here.

For the OP's booking seat selection for a non-status passenger will cost up to OLCI and then be free when OLCI opens at 24 hrs. For long haul standard fares seat selection is free from 24 hours.

Just to complicate things, as the OP is on a business fare they may be in J selling class on the short haul, and J selling class does include free seat selection at any time but only for that specific flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.