Search

Ex EU ARN Advice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:37 pm
McG
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Ex EU ARN Advice

I've booked a QR ex EU from ARN to HKG then SIN in September. The QR flight leaves ARN at 22:40.

What are my best options for getting to ARN -

Same day ex LHR leaving LHR around 11:30 to give time in case of delays or getting late flight day before and spending day in Stockholm.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold
I’d go the morning of the day before to allow a lot of flexibility and for a nice day in Stockholm. It’s a pretty city. We had a similar trip at Christmas and spent a great 3 nights in Stockholm on the way out to Vietnam as it’s somewhere we’d never been. Plenty to do there and it’s not quite Oslo levels of expense...
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Hello - I was in a similar position (ex-Scandinavia to Asia) and (having had lots of good advice - here) the educational lesson for me was, definitely go for day/night before (unless it's a "B2B" ie off and on the same plane, which you're not doing - and please look up the relevant advice threads before considering, as there is lots about what works at which airport depending on security etc.)

The argument for day before rather than same day, is that even a few hours gap during the day may not be enough if your entire positioning (LHR-ARN) flight is cancelled and you can't get another one.

In my case I did something similar for next Friday (OSL-LHR-HKG-SYD, flying LHR-OSL to position for it on same day) and am now regretting it after reading the responses, but (due to them) have made some backup options. One of these (which you may want to consider) is flying SAS for the positioning leg and picking a very early flight (if same day - not necessarily recommended as above), as they have more frequent flights than BA and so more options for rebooking if one flight is cancelled.

In my case I'd left it too late in terms of booking leave from work to fly the night before, so I'm now taking the earliest morning LHR-OSL and I was also sufficiently spooked by the advice received that I additionally booked a later refundable LGW-OSL flight on Norwegian in case there's a big issue at LHR overall (this would affect my LHR-HKG flight which might be a get-out, but the impression was that if I'd missed OSL-LHR then my whole itinerary would be cancelled anyway and it would be my fault).

So of course I'm now wondering if my Norwegian rescue option is affected by the 737 MAX8 fallout..

Last edited by GCab; Mar 12, 2019 at 1:57 pm
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:48 pm

In September I’d go on flight on the day. Just don’t book the flight arriving at 4pm as it is the one most prone to cancellations... I’d probably have taken one arriving around 6-7 as you’re not likely to have any adverse weather.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by McG
I've booked a QR ex EU from ARN to HKG then SIN in September. The QR flight leaves ARN at 22:40.

What are my best options for getting to ARN -

Same day ex LHR leaving LHR around 11:30 to give time in case of delays or getting late flight day before and spending day in Stockholm.
I have also just today booked an Ex ARN on QR departing 22:40
I have also booked th eBA flight leaving LHR at 11:30, gives at least a one flight buffer!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I’m also doing an ex-ARN in early May with QR.
From Manchester I have a few options (non cheap) but I plan on getting to ARN early afternoon at the very latest for the 22:40 QR departure.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA, SQ, VS, Lifetime Diamond Club Appreciator, Mucci
Sweden is a very expensive country. The Arlanda Express from the airport to the city can be around £60 return (cheaper at weekends and for couples). Need to consider these costs too as they build up quickly.
flyerkit likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
The skybus (flybus) is cheaper and with free WiFi is not a bad option as it has regular intervals and takes around 60mins.
windchaser777 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
First of all: I assume this thread should be in the proper geographic subforum? It's not a BA or BAEC specific topic.

Originally Posted by 000
Sweden is a very expensive country.
Compared to 3rd world countries - perhaps. However Stockholm isn't that expensive in global comparison for a visitor. Honestly speaking something like London is more expensive to get around in etc.

Originally Posted by 000
The Arlanda Express from the airport to the city can be around £60 return (cheaper at weekends and for couples). Need to consider these costs too as they build up quickly.
I advice against going with Arlanda Express. No need to waste money on it. It's the same thing as with HEX - only use it as a last resort. Either take a direct airport express coach (Flygbussarna) or use regular public transportation, which includes the option of going by rail or rail + bus.
daftboy likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I am doing the same in April and am on the 13:20 from LHR, might be gambling it a bit, but not as tight as being on the 17:00 one, but there is a limit to how much time I can spend at ARN airport, or in the lounge...

If you want to go into Sthlm there is also the commuter train or the SJ train other than the express. Will be cheaper and slightly slower, but there is a fee for all trains leaving or arriving at ARN that you do not pay at other stations.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:27 pm

Flying ex-ARN on Qatar to SIN departing at 21:45 at end of March. On the BA 780 from LHR-ARN 13:25-17:00, which seems from some basic research to be relatively on time without cancellation. I didn't search back too far. Fingers and toes crossed!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I have an ex-CPH on QR to NZ tomorrow and am already getting worried about the winds ex LHR in the morning.. there are 3 x BA flights I could take to get to CPH in time and I am booked on the first one but I am still getting twitchy!
stewaran likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I have an ex-CPH on QR to NZ tomorrow and am already getting worried about the winds ex LHR in the morning.. there are 3 x BA flights I could take to get to CPH in time and I am booked on the first one but I am still getting twitchy!
Typically, what level of wind speed affects departures?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by 000
Sweden is a very expensive country. The Arlanda Express from the airport to the city can be around £60 return (cheaper at weekends and for couples). Need to consider these costs too as they build up quickly.
Arlanda Express (train) is quite expensive.

Flygbussarna (bus) is cheaper and stops at more places in Stockholm, and if you are lucky, your hotel might be within walking distance from a bus stop. Tickets are cheaper if you buy them in advance on the Internet.

The cheapest way is to take local bus 583 to Märsta Station and then the local SL train to Stockholm, but this takes around an hour. Buy the ticket in a shop (such as Pressbyrån) as tickets aren't sold on board the bus. If you have some ticket which allows unlimited travel in Stockholm (such as a day pass), then this ticket covers the bus and the SL train.

Trains (other than Arlanda Express) depart from Arlanda Central Station and you have to pay a station fee of 120 kr to pass through the ticket gates. The fee is sometimes included in the ticket price. If so, keep your ticket until you have passed the gates as you will otherwise have to pay the fee again. If you wish to save money, you might wish to avoid taking a train from this station. Also, note that both SL and SJ trains stop at this station, and SL and SJ use different tickets.

If you are thinking of taking a taxi, first check the price list. There should be a yellow sticker on one of the windows. Foreigners sometimes miss this and end up taking a taxi which costs 10 or 100 or 1000 times more than most other taxis.

Alternatively, take bus 801 to Uppsala instead and spend the night there. Tickets can be bought on board the bus (cards only, no cash).
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've done lots of ex EU and always go the same day, usually on a different carrier, and so far I've always been lucky. Ever the optimist me.
lhrsfo, Muttley, Knodde and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.