Wiki Posts
Search

Destination Help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Destination Help

Hello there,

To cut a long story short, I am new to collecting Avios. I have a pot of 215,000 (with much help from my partner and family members) and also have a 2-4-1 voucher. I have around another 35,000 Avios in the pipeline.

It is my dream to visit Tokyo and I also have a desire to fly First Class at least once in my life. Ideally I would like to fly to Tokyo first class. I am a teacher - so bound by school holidays. Having done much research, there is availability to go to Tokyo in July - but have heard the weather is 'unbearable'. I have set flying to Tokyo aside for now as I know I would need to book it a year in advance.to be able to do in April or October when it is cooler. I thought about going First Class to Boston - but the destination doesn't appear to me enough to use so many Avios and the 2-4-1 voucher although I would get to fly First Class!

I am therefore considering Europe for the summer (flying out CE and returning in ET). This wouldn't dip into my Avios pot too much (it would be around 65,000) and I would still retain the 2-4-1 voucher.

I am currently 31 and have recently lost around 10.5 stone in weight. I spent my twenties overweight and as a result didn't want to go abroad. So since losing weight, I have tried to catch up on all the travel most of my peers have done by now. Last July I visited Nice (including Antibes, Eze, Cannes and Monaco), in January I went to Amsterdam and February, Budapest (everyone raves about it but I wasn't too much of a fan). I am having great difficulty selecting a destination for this summer. I thought about flying to Venice then train to Florence then train to Rome (and flying back from Rome) - but have heard it will be very crowded and very hot. I suppose I want to feel relaxed and get some sun.

Sorry for rambling on, but where would you recommend? I don't have too much experience to draw on so hopefully you can help me. I'd ideally want accommodation to be reasonably priced (something very good for £150 a night - Boston was around £200 a night for something really nice).

I really appreciate any help you can offer.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Firstly, congratulations on the lifestyle change, I can imagine that took some seriously hard work.

Secondly, at that time of year most places are going to be busy and I'm not too sure how long you're looking at being away.

As a suggestion, how about an open jaw into/out of Dubrovnik and Tirana?

Beautiful coastline in Montenegro, as well as mountains and lakes and the trip from Tirana into Montenegro along the lake can be nice.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhbloke
Firstly, congratulations on the lifestyle change, I can imagine that took some seriously hard work.

Secondly, at that time of year most places are going to be busy and I'm not too sure how long you're looking at being away.

As a suggestion, how about an open jaw into/out of Dubrovnik and Tirana?

Beautiful coastline in Montenegro, as well as mountains and lakes and the trip from Tirana into Montenegro along the lake can be nice.
Thank you kindly! I did look at Dubrovnik - what put me off was that the hotels seemed to be resort based (I am not too used to that) - very much spaced out hotels. Maybe this isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I just wonder about practise of needing snacks / food and having to always use hotel facilities. Maybe I am wrong.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by bhbloke
Seconded!

I wouldn't say Tokyo was unbearable in the summer (it will be hot and humid for sure though), but if you're not accustomed to it, it might take a while to get use it. There are plenty of cooler places in Japan too - Hokkaido is lovely in the summer (check out Furano Lavender), and there are lots of mountain resorts with more temperate climates. Japan has a wide variety of accommodation. For £150 you can get lodging in some truly stunning ryokan - a cultural experience unparalleled by a 5* in Boston!

Italy in the summer will be very busy, and also hot. Fighting with throngs of American and Russian tourists isn't much fun. One benefit to being Europe based is that short weekend trips to places like this are very easy, and peak holiday periods can be fairly easily avoided. Differing half terms throughout Europe also help avoid the crowds.

The Baltic States and Scandinavia are great in the summer, albeit with less guaranteed weather. Eastern Europe is cheaper and hotter, but still with plenty to see. Somewhere really cool (and actually a year round destination) is Svalbard. Summer sees the midnight sun. The Caucuses are also really nice. I had a few amazing holidays in Armenia, Azerbaijan and Georgia, the latter accessible via Wizzair from Luton.

It seems like you don't have a lot of travel history, but this should make it easier, as basically everywhere is new, and pretty much everywhere (imo) is worth a visit.

In terms of the Avios, I would be tempted to save them for longhual premium flights, unless your summer holiday Europe flights are crazy expensive. Google Flights is a great tool where you can search up to five destinations (airport codes) at once, and get a 2 month overview of prices.

Finally for holiday inspiration, check out Instagram and hashtag your destinations. Of course there are a lot of rose tinted photos on there, but you can get a great overview of what to expect.

Good luck!
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
My top tip would be don't put all your eggs in a reward availability (or lack of) basket... you can often find great deals out there on a BA and other airlines with a slightly more convoluted journey... For instance you can often get to the states exEU for around £1-1200, you can get to the far east for £1,200 right now on Qatar to Singapore. This will not restrict you so much to a few days here or there when there is availability. You'll also be paying £650-750 on top of those huge Avios charges.. I'd get to SIN or KUL and make a plan from there
shnprst likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Do you particularly want a beach? To add to the random flow of ideas how about lakes and mountains - we've done a couple of nice trips. Flying to Milan and seeing Lakes Maggiore and Como and then heading up to Zermatt (or sub in any ski resort really; Italy cheaper). Or fly to Munich then on to Salzburg, the lakes nearby and potentially further south to South Tyrol and/or the Dolomites.

Last summer we did Alsace which was surprisingly good (fly to Basel), with Europa Park over the border for something different. Provence (Marseille, Cassis, Aix, Avignon and the Luberon) is a separate (less glitzy) alternative to your last trip. Or if you like an exploring/beach holiday I really liked Sardinia (Olbia, the northern half) but I'm not sure I'd brave August; this year (May half-term) we're doing Corsica hoping for similar. I also have a summer trip Lisbon-beach-Porto in mind (having liked Lisbon before) - hopefully not too crowded.

One tip for Japan: try Beijing. It has better First availability and is cheaper in avios as it's shorter. You can use avios for the connection to Japan, and transit-without-visa to see the local sights.
roy2016 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
My top tip would be don't put all your eggs in a reward availability (or lack of) basket... you can often find great deals out there on a BA and other airlines with a slightly more convoluted journey... For instance you can often get to the states exEU for around £1-1200, you can get to the far east for £1,200 right now on Qatar to Singapore. This will not restrict you so much to a few days here or there when there is availability. You'll also be paying £650-750 on top of those huge Avios charges.. I'd get to SIN or KUL and make a plan from there
Agree.
OP I would not blow my points on short hauls if the Bucket List priority is to First for the first time. Go for longer flights to SIN HKG ETC. You can go to Dubai or Abu Dhabi and hop over to many places.

Use all the facilities on a long haul to get the full experience. Multiple meals, drinks, amenities, pajamas, lounges......
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: Confirmed
Tokyo is certainly not unbearable in July. I’d still go for it. Last time I flew BA F to HND with MF crew. None of them speak Japanese and they had no idea that green tea can be served chilled. Try it from a vending machine and that’ll fix the weather.
nancypants and LBP2 like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: BA Silver
How about First to Vagas and back from San Francisco, and a road trip up the Pacific Highway in between?
mikeyfly and LWkitty like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: Executive Club (Gold), Marriot Bonvoy (Gold)
Not guaranteed weather but the year before last I decided to stay in Europe for a summer break and had a great time in Helsinki, a lakeside cottage about an hour's drive away (which was spectacular) and then a short spell in Stockholm. Scandinavia can be a bit on the pricy side, but it's possible to dine out on the cheap too!
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone - thank you for such considerate replies. I am very grateful. I previously was close to booking Tokyo in early July but was put off due to the weather - however the comments here have reassured me - but since some time has passed, only late July is now available (which I'd imagine will be even warmer).

I am also interested in South Korea, but weather-wise it would be similar to Tokyo (although maybe a bit better). You cannot fly there first though - Club World would be the best.

I consider myself "a complainer". Humidity makes me snappy and short tempered .

Thank you to those with the suggestion of flying to Beijing to get to Tokyo - I had similarly looked at flying to Shanghai as this route has good availability too then onwards to Tokyo using Japan Airlines.

I suppose I wanted to use some Avios this summer to experience CE for the first time, although I know it's not too impressive. It would be nice not to be group 4/5 for a change .
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Row9
How about First to Vagas and back from San Francisco, and a road trip up the Pacific Highway in between?

Thanks for the suggestion but there isn't availability for that I'm afraid.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shefgab
Seconded!

I wouldn't say Tokyo was unbearable in the summer (it will be hot and humid for sure though), but if you're not accustomed to it, it might take a while to get use it. There are plenty of cooler places in Japan too - Hokkaido is lovely in the summer (check out Furano Lavender), and there are lots of mountain resorts with more temperate climates. Japan has a wide variety of accommodation. For £150 you can get lodging in some truly stunning ryokan - a cultural experience unparalleled by a 5* in Boston!

Italy in the summer will be very busy, and also hot. Fighting with throngs of American and Russian tourists isn't much fun. One benefit to being Europe based is that short weekend trips to places like this are very easy, and peak holiday periods can be fairly easily avoided. Differing half terms throughout Europe also help avoid the crowds.

The Baltic States and Scandinavia are great in the summer, albeit with less guaranteed weather. Eastern Europe is cheaper and hotter, but still with plenty to see. Somewhere really cool (and actually a year round destination) is Svalbard. Summer sees the midnight sun. The Caucuses are also really nice. I had a few amazing holidays in Armenia, Azerbaijan and Georgia, the latter accessible via Wizzair from Luton.

It seems like you don't have a lot of travel history, but this should make it easier, as basically everywhere is new, and pretty much everywhere (imo) is worth a visit.

In terms of the Avios, I would be tempted to save them for longhual premium flights, unless your summer holiday Europe flights are crazy expensive. Google Flights is a great tool where you can search up to five destinations (airport codes) at once, and get a 2 month overview of prices.

Finally for holiday inspiration, check out Instagram and hashtag your destinations. Of course there are a lot of rose tinted photos on there, but you can get a great overview of what to expect.

Good luck!
Thank you for all the excellent advice. Yes, I am put off with Italy in terms of the business. I think there would potentially be more relaxing destinations than these cities.

Originally Posted by HMPS
Agree.
OP I would not blow my points on short hauls if the Bucket List priority is to First for the first time. Go for longer flights to SIN HKG ETC. You can go to Dubai or Abu Dhabi and hop over to many places.

Use all the facilities on a long haul to get the full experience. Multiple meals, drinks, amenities, pajamas, lounges......
Yeah this would be ideal but I suppose I am wanting to be impatient and get this without having to wait a whole year .

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Is the £1200 per person for economy? That would probably be out my budget range. A first class redemption for two is around £1200. I suppose I don't mind paying £1200 for two of us for just economy. Would Singapore be suitable in summer?

Originally Posted by pauldb
Do you particularly want a beach? To add to the random flow of ideas how about lakes and mountains - we've done a couple of nice trips. Flying to Milan and seeing Lakes Maggiore and Como and then heading up to Zermatt (or sub in any ski resort really; Italy cheaper). Or fly to Munich then on to Salzburg, the lakes nearby and potentially further south to South Tyrol and/or the Dolomites.

Last summer we did Alsace which was surprisingly good (fly to Basel), with Europa Park over the border for something different. Provence (Marseille, Cassis, Aix, Avignon and the Luberon) is a separate (less glitzy) alternative to your last trip. Or if you like an exploring/beach holiday I really liked Sardinia (Olbia, the northern half) but I'm not sure I'd brave August; this year (May half-term) we're doing Corsica hoping for similar. I also have a summer trip Lisbon-beach-Porto in mind (having liked Lisbon before) - hopefully not too crowded.

One tip for Japan: try Beijing. It has better First availability and is cheaper in avios as it's shorter. You can use avios for the connection to Japan, and transit-without-visa to see the local sights.
You've given me much food for thought. I am not too fussed about the beach. The amount of weight I have lost, I do carry loose skin. This really prevents me from wanting to take my top off etc. I suppose I prefer the idea of sitting chilling reading a book then going to the beach to sunbathe or top up my tan.

Originally Posted by Simonmiller
Not guaranteed weather but the year before last I decided to stay in Europe for a summer break and had a great time in Helsinki, a lakeside cottage about an hour's drive away (which was spectacular) and then a short spell in Stockholm. Scandinavia can be a bit on the pricy side, but it's possible to dine out on the cheap too!
That sounds lovely! However, I don't know if I would be confident enough to drive abroad. However that sounds incredibly relaxing. My partner wishes to visit these Scandinavian countries, however I have heard they are prohibitively expensive (more so Sweden?).
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:17 pm

Closer to home, Moscow is a fascinating city and offers the chance to experience Club World for the cost of a Reward Flight Saver. Final thought is Istanbul, where you won’t run out of things to see and do.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by shnprst
Is the £1200 per person for economy? That would probably be out my budget range. A first class redemption for two is around £1200. I suppose I don't mind paying £1200 for two of us for just economy. Would Singapore be suitable in summer?
Nope, these are business fares! You can get some ridiculously cheap ones by being a bit more creative with your routing and leave from a continental European airport (Dublin is occasionally good too). Google Flights is a great tool to search for these kinds of deals. Here's an example with completely arbitrary dates I picked out of thin air, but the availability for this deal in particular is wide open.

https://www.google.com/flights#flt=A...;sc:b;sd:1;t:f

My favourite Qatar business deal was a £500-ish business class return from Amsterdam to Tokyo in 2017. That one was very short-lived, however, but I got lucky!

That sounds lovely! However, I don't know if I would be confident enough to drive abroad. However that sounds incredibly relaxing. My partner wishes to visit these Scandinavian countries, however I have heard they are prohibitively expensive (more so Sweden?).
Norwegian here! In general, Norway is the most expensive, followed by Denmark and Sweden. They're all expensive compared to most places in Europe and Asia, mind.

Alcohol is an exception. Norwegians go to Sweden to stock up, Swedes go to Denmark, and the Danes go to Germany (and the Germans go to Poland, and so on, and so forth...)
roy2016 and strickerj like this.

Last edited by saccosekk; Mar 8, 2019 at 12:28 pm Reason: Link formatting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.