Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Impact of IB marketed flights for BAEC members if QR leaves OW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Yet more threats of leaving OW by His Excellency at the ITB Berlin. Assuming the worst happens, would BA change the provisions for earning TP for IB marketed flights. Perhaps a slight deviation from the existing policy to allow QR operated, IB marketed flights to count towards TP?

At present BA marketed, partner operated (both OW and non-OW) flights allow for TP accrual.
However with IB, that is not the case, where only IB marketed, OW partner operated flights allow for TP accrual. If QR does leave OW, an IB marketed QR operated flight would not earn TP.

It would seem then sensible to include IE in the scope of work, to ensure consistency and neutrality across the IAG full-service portfolio.

Keen to hear your thoughts.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Why on earth would they allow that? If QR is no longer OW, then IB operated by QR will. Be just the same as, say, IB operated by LY or Bulgaria Air and undoubtedly a less convincing case than IB operated by VY, none of which are eligible. Making an exception for QR on the ground that they ‘once were’ OW would not make any sense in my view.
nancypants and windchaser777 like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:25 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Theres also a thread in the Qatar forum discussing QR threatening to leave OW.

AAB threatens to leave oneworld
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:26 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Whilst BA and IB continue to have separate FFPs, which is exceptionally unlikely to change, I really don’t see any reason why qualification arrangements should be altered. The IB operated, IB marketed provision counting towards status is something of an exception in its own right, so I really don’t see any reason why BA could, should or would extent this.

An acid test, ignoring if there are or aren’t IB codeshare arrangements with them: would you be asking the same if RJ left oneworld?
nancypants and windchaser777 like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
The comments made here by both orbitmic and NWIFlyer are undeniably logical. If Qatar were to exit OW, there would seem no rationale to continue to treat them as a member, or create some sort of exception in terms of current BAEC status qualification provisions.

The only additional point perhaps worth making is that the relationship between BA and QR is of course a unique one, in the sense that Qatar are the largest single shareholder in BA’s parent, ie. the IAG.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:20 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

The current Qantas/Emirates arrangement could possibly offer a glimmer of hope, but this is an outlier
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by subject2load

The only additional point perhaps worth making is that the relationship between BA and QR is of course a unique one, in the sense that Qatar are the largest single shareholder in BA’s parent, ie. the IAG.
And the relationship between IB and QR is fairly similar. But I don't think that counts for anything since Vueling is 100% owned by IAG, and IB marketed Vueling flights don't credit under BAEC, but do under Iberia's scheme. Ditto Aer Lingus credits (sort-of) under BAEC but not Iberia.
windchaser777 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
The similarity of AAB threatening OW with QR's imminent resign from the alliance, has a similarity with the doomsday preacher on the street corner repeatedly trying to convince passers-by that "The End is Near". Next performance to be expected in 4-6 weeks, if not sooner.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:37 am

Would there really be a tangible impact for BA flyers if QR decided to leave OW? In or out of OW, QR will still have a better J product than current BA (possibly only until BA reveal their new J product, and route dependent) so I'm not sure it will be significant in any way.

I, of course, except those that depend on QR to make their OW status, most likely through BAEC - where there will likely be some disappointment.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
The issue here really is that DOH is a really good OneWorld Hub - what’s the other options? You have to go to CMB and that’s 2000 miles away and tiny. DXB is an Emirates show.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Would there really be a tangible impact for BA flyers if QR decided to leave OW? In or out of OW, QR will still have a better J product than current BA (possibly only until BA reveal their new J product, and route dependent) so I'm not sure it will be significant in any way.

I, of course, except those that depend on QR to make their OW status, most likely through BAEC - where there will likely be some disappointment.
AA have effectively curtailed TP running opportunities by offering fewer TPs when flying domestic first class sectors; they have also restricted the number of sectors permitted on indirect itineraries. I would expect therefore that should QR leave oneworld we would see far fewer GGLs (and possibly Golds) because the opportunities for optimising TP earning through creative routings will be far fewer.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Would there really be a tangible impact for BA flyers if QR decided to leave OW? In or out of OW, QR will still have a better J product than current BA ...
Do you mean BA flyers, or do you mean FT participants? ISTR that there was little interest around these parts in flying QR until QR joined OW. It may be that QR's products have vastly improved since that time, but I do sometimes wonder whether QR's membership of OW was what triggered the enthusiasm amongst FTers for flying QR.
Tobias-UK and rossmacd like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Do you mean BA flyers, or do you mean FT participants? ISTR that there was little interest around these parts in flying QR until QR joined OW. It may be that QR's products have vastly improved since that time, but I do sometimes wonder whether QR's membership of OW was what triggered the enthusiasm amongst FTers for flying QR.
Very good point ^

I actually mean BAEC members who may or may not fly BA, but primarily fly QR for the TP benefits.

Whichever way the broad BAFT church swings upon the potential confirmation of QR leaving OW, it will be an interesting point of discussion on this board, that is for sure!
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
..................... It may be that QR's products have vastly improved since that time, but I do sometimes wonder whether QR's membership of OW was what triggered the enthusiasm amongst FTers for flying QR.
I suspect you’re spot on Globaliser ^

The QR product itself has - as you say - vastly improved.

And so once a very high quality business class (notable for innovations such as dine-on-demand service seen normally only in F class, PJ’s + slippers, and, more latterly, fully-enclosed private suites) became eligible for Avios and TP earning, it was I guess, the final piece of what is - for many folk - a rather attractive jigsaw.

How long this continues remains to be seen.

Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do think QR’s product has evolved in parallel with their OW membership. When they joined the majority of the fleet had wedgie seats, they might leave with the leading J class seat in the world. So I think some people (eg an LTG like me) would be interested as the production is world class regardless of TP earning.
rossmacd likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.