Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New First offering, from 31 March 2019 [general discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New First offering, from 31 March 2019 [general discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:31 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
The idea that Bose wouldn't be a vanity partnership is hilarious.
Bose have been pushed on me from various in flight magazines. My $0,02 would be that they are better than complete c**p but worse than anything you would qualify as audiophile. Do we have supporters here?
noFODplease likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by DeathSlam
I have 3 of their active speakers working combined as a single centre speaker in my ridiculous (11.2) AV setup (the rest B&W & Velodyne). No idea what the headphones are like though. My travel headphones are Sennheiser, a few years old now, so a good chance they will be outperformed by the new F headsets but I'm not holding my breath.
These 'audiophiles' telling me 'this is a premium brand should go back to selling Monster cables.

None of you have any Meridian headphones, because Meridian doesn't make headphones. They're putting their name on someone else's white label in-flight product- likely Phitek or the like.

Bose at least does. Their noise cancellation tech is widely considered the one to beat, and for in-flight acoustics they're about as good as it gets.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Who cares about Bose not meeting audiophile requirements? You are in a loud airplane and that limits what you can hear anyway. ANC is the most important feature.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:49 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
The idea that Bose wouldn't be a vanity partnership is hilarious.
I think BA intended, quite rightly in my view, to partner with a British company.

In a desperate attempt to take us back on topic, I travelled back from LAX today and experienced the new First service. I’ll try to upload some photographs of the food service tomorrow.
wrp96, blitzen, SaraJH and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Sounds better ≠ correct. But here's an example of why this stuff makes a difference. Imagine a magazine cover:

● Rachel Ray Loves Cooking Her Dog And Her Family
or
● Rachel Ray Loves Cooking, Her Dog And Her Family

Is the comma important?

This is how language slides into ruin. "Are you going tonight?" becomes "r u goin 2 nite?"

So language only needs to be correct for legal documents? Why have any grammar rules at all?

All that said, however, I'm trying the new F next week, SEZ-LHR-LAX. Based on what I've read here, I'm looking forward to it.
Your examples are extreme, BA’s was not.

Languages do ‘not slide into ruin’ they develop, I suspect much of what you write now would horrify your equivalent in 1745.
GaxxyFlyer and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
The Grüner Veltliner is a pretty nice wine, and I have a couple bottles at home. However, it's hardly what one would expect in FIRST. It's under 20€.

Originally Posted by HoneymoonFlyer

That’s the old menu indeed, though no doubt you will have a blast.

Here’s my menu for BA15 to Singapore in a fortnight, along with the wine list. Couple of new bits on there I think?

Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:27 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by bkojote
None of you have any Meridian headphones, because Meridian doesn't make headphones. They're putting their name on someone else's white label in-flight product- likely Phitek or the like.
https://www.meridian-audio.com/media...artnership.pdf
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Your examples are extreme, BA’s was not.
Of course my example was extreme. I was making a point, and using an extreme example makes it clearer.

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Languages do ‘not slide into ruin’ they develop....
You forgot three little letters, -- IMO.

"Wut r u doin 2nite" is not evolution, IMO, -- it's sliding into ruin.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by greg5
The Grüner Veltliner is a pretty nice wine, and I have a couple bottles at home. However, it's hardly what one would expect in FIRST. It's under 20€.
Why not? What would you have instead? Spending more than £20 on a bottle of white wine that’s not a Chardonnay is pretty tough, especially in the volume needed for an airline. I think BA almost always gets the white wine selection spot on:

1. Snob wine, premium Chardonnay (almost always a decent Burgundy)
2. Familiar easy drinking sipping wine, usually a Sauvignon Blanc
3. Good food match wine, like a Riesling or Gruner

Personally I think this mix gives the right variety, which a broad range of people can enjoy.
TheJayHatch likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:38 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by spanishflea

Why not? What would you have instead? Spending more than £20 on a bottle of white wine that’s not a Chardonnay is pretty tough, especially in the volume needed for an airline. I think BA almost always gets the white wine selection spot on:

1. Snob wine, premium Chardonnay (almost always a decent Burgundy)
2. Familiar easy drinking sipping wine, usually a Sauvignon Blanc
3. Good food match wine, like a Riesling or Gruner

Personally I think this mix gives the right variety, which a broad range of people can enjoy.
Actually, it looks closer to 11€. Mind you, it's an excellent wine for the price.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
The new F food seemed to be featured in the Channel 5 First or Economy programme last night. For those who have the Chicken Main Course dish on their upcoming menus, this featured heavily. It looked nice enough, although hard to tell if the chicken was completely dried out or not. I was surprised that the vegetables were just served in a bowl on the side, I'm not sure what purpose this serves and why they aren't just served on the main plate, especially as Nigel served the main plate and then had to go back for the vegetables (although that may not be the actual service standard).
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cosmo74
The new F food seemed to be featured in the Channel 5 First or Economy programme last night. For those who have the Chicken Main Course dish on their upcoming menus, this featured heavily. It looked nice enough, although hard to tell if the chicken was completely dried out or not. I was surprised that the vegetables were just served in a bowl on the side, I'm not sure what purpose this serves and why they aren't just served on the main plate, especially as Nigel served the main plate and then had to go back for the vegetables (although that may not be the actual service standard).
Yes I noticed the chicken dish had a lot of exposure too "like a little Christmas dinner" Sally Said. I had pre-ordered it for next week, but looking at it think I may go for the beef instead now.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
And you would have been incorrect. Deconstructing the first, "free range" modifies "scrambled" and "scrambled" modifies "eggs." And it is for that very reason that I suggest that the meaning is anything but clear; although, as you say, we know what they meant. But that's more of a comment on increasingly lax language usage and standards than it is on the correctness of the grammar.
Have you watched or listened to the Beeb recently?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by hearingdouble
The First class check in at T3 now has a First Wing-esque wall around it, if that counts...
Actually, there are 'geographical' issues at stake here. The First Wing in T5 leads you into the First lounge via security. But the lounge is way too far in T3.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Gomac
I requested the full menu from Your First for my upcoming SFO flight next month and it is indeed the new menu and looks very different all round, it is great to see the extra snacks during the meal times as well as the details on the second meal.
Full menu attached.
That's the 4 options on my SFO flight later this month. I'm happy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.