Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Upgrade with Avios - LHR-KUL, cash price higher than regular.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:40 am
Original Poster

I'm just looking for ways to use Avios. My last post on here someone listed four possibilities for business class, only two of which were possible for the dates we wanted. The others two were cold/off-peak places.

So thinking about UuA, I searched for LHR-KUL 17th Mar/30th Mar return. And since I can't find anything in business class, I'm lowering expectations to WTP.

BA tells me it's £1941.84 + 45500 avios for two people in WTP.

But just booking a plain vanilla WTP shows as £1892. So I'd save myself £50 and 45500 avios.

And even then, the outbound was only available for UuA on one single day. If BA are going to play that game and pretend it's saving me money, why not just pretend further and have much more availability for these non-deals?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by marcosscriven

But just booking a plain vanilla WTP shows as £1892. So I'd save myself £50 and 45500 avios.
For those dates, ba.com tells me it's £1,891.42 per person in WT+ for a straight cash booking. Is the £1,941.84 figure per person as well?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
And the quote I obtained for two pax in WT+ was GBP 3,782.84 for two pax.

Doc Copper
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Per person it's

£886 + 22750 avios
or
£1,891

Getting an avios valuation of 4.5p per avios which is extremely good

You are travelling in less than 2 weeks, you need to be more realistic about your expectations of widespread premium cabin award availability.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:26 am

Location: Almost exactly equally distant from LCY, LGW and LHR.
Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
I've seen this before with Dual Inventory fares. In that case I called up and got real prices.

I don't know enough to be sure this is the problem, but it certainly might be.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
£886 + 22750 avios
or
£1,891

Getting an avios valuation of 4.5p per avios which is extremely good
I'm not sure that this is what the OP is looking at, though.

There is Avios availability in WT+ on the outbound, but not the inbound.

So the first price quoted ("£1941.84 + 45500 avios for two people in WTP") sounds like it's something like an N class fare (lowest upgradeable fare) UuA to WT+ (which would be 22,750 Avios per person x 2 = 45,500 Avios) on the outbound, and then the cheapest economy fare inbound (which looks like it might be K class if two people book together, as there is only one M class seat). The WT fares alone are £844.42, and the extra TFC for a WT --> WT+ UuA outbound would be £96.50 = £940.92 per person x 2 = £1,881.84. There's a £60 discrepancy somewhere which I can't immediately explain, but this is the correct ballpark for WT+ outbound, WT inbound.

£1,891.42 per person in WT+ for a straight cash booking would give WT+ outbound, WT+ inbound.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I'm not sure that this is what the OP is looking at, though.

There is Avios availability in WT+ on the outbound, but not the inbound.

So the first price quoted ("£1941.84 + 45500 avios for two people in WTP") sounds like it's something like an N class fare (lowest upgradeable fare) UuA to WT+ (which would be 22,750 Avios per person x 2 = 45,500 Avios) on the outbound, and then the cheapest economy fare inbound (which looks like it might be K class if two people book together, as there is only one M class seat). The WT fares alone are £844.42, and the extra TFC for a WT --> WT+ UuA outbound would be £96.50 = £940.92 per person x 2 = £1,881.84. There's a £60 discrepancy somewhere which I can't immediately explain, but this is the correct ballpark for WT+ outbound, WT inbound.

£1,891.42 per person in WT+ for a straight cash booking would give WT+ outbound, WT+ inbound.
You are right, what I posted was quoting only a one way upgrade
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by marcosscriven
So thinking about UuA, I searched for LHR-KUL 17th Mar/30th Mar return. And since I can't find anything in business class, I'm lowering expectations to WTP.

Did we ever get to the bottom of whether the quotes given by BA were actually:-
  • [*]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.