Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA forcing people together on same PNR?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Apparently BA is now the reporting code for Blah Airlines...I can't believe you declined an upgrade to Middle Class!

Ok, snarky (and outdated) jokes aside, defaulting to this makes a certain amount of sense, but I can easily see where it would result in an undesirable outcome. I'm imagining my father and brother on the same PNR...Dad is quite tall, and my brother isn't as tall but is "all legs". Ergo, if in Economy, both having an aisle seat would be desired. But I can definitely see why two folks on the same PNR might not want the middle seat even if it separates them by a little bit...and I don't want to see what would happen if you wound up on a sold-out flight and had this happen.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:36 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Just reminder to everyone : in the spirit of the “If you don't have something constructive to contribute to a thread, please do not post“ rule, FT works best when specific, factual OP questions get responses based on knowledge and experience, rather than sweeping opinion.

OP has posed an interesting question, so let’s ditch the bickering and get some good answers.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:06 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Rukes
Is this a common occurance with multiple people on the same PNR/status, where they will automatically just try to sit you next to each other even if you didn’t request it?
No, I don't think that it is.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:18 pm

Programs: QF WP
Isn’t there some kind of heat being put on UK based airlines about splitting people up who are on the same booking?
if so I can see this being an inconvenient side effect
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver, A3
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Just reminder to everyone : in the spirit of the “If you don't have something constructive to contribute to a thread, please do not post“ rule, FT works best when specific, factual OP questions get responses based on knowledge and experience, rather than sweeping opinion.
I would love this to be mandatory as so many people's posts are nothing but conjecture.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by Rukes
Is this a common occurance with multiple people on the same PNR/status, where they will automatically just try to sit you next to each other even if you didn’t request it?
Yes, in my experience. Often put my partner (both golds) in an exit row for legroom but I’m happy with the window a row or two behind but BA repeatedly reassigns us together, often past the point where it’s possible to change back. As often1 suggested, it seems to be that most customers want to sit together and the system tries to make this happen at the expense of the few that don’t.

Annoyingly, this concept seems to be enforced far more than “theoretical” seating which has seen the seat next to me occupied on a number of recent flights despite dozens of other seats being empty. Star Alliance has been blocking seats next to golds far more effectively for years and years. Not sure why BA struggles...

Last edited by ajamieson; Mar 2, 2019 at 7:18 pm
Old Mar 3, 2019, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
There are posters on this board who would support BA in sitting people on the same reservation next to each other as it would stop those selecting a window and an aisle with the hope of keeping the middle seat free.
SHT88T likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
There are posters on this board who would support BA in sitting people on the same reservation next to each other as it would stop those selecting a window and an aisle with the hope of keeping the middle seat free.
I flew Cathay Economy back from HKG a couple of years ago with my partner and we did this. The seat assignments weren't changed. Everything was going well until an unfortunate lad travelling on his own was allocated the middle seat. I (aisle) offered to swap and he gratefully took it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.