Wiki Posts
Search

BA forcing people together on same PNR?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines ExecPlat, Asiana Diamond
BA forcing people together on same PNR?

I normally travel by myself, but since a co-worker without OneWorld status was traveling on the same flight, I booked us together on the same PNR. I have Emerald, he has no status.

He picked exit row 14A, I did 15A since we just care about window seats. Right before online check in, BA decided to move me up to 14B for some reason (this was a half-full flight so every middle seat was empty).

I checked us in, and moved myself up to 10A. All was fine until we checked our bags at the airport, then they gave me 14F! I talked to the agent and 10A was taken and was finally moved to 10F.

Is this a common occurance with multiple people on the same PNR/status, where they will automatically just try to sit you next to each other even if you didn’t request it?
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO if you're extending your elite benefits to another person, such as being able to reserve good seats in advance without paying a fee, it's reasonable to expect you to actually sit with the person. Your colleague was given the ability to book good seats for free as a way of keeping you happy, not because BA desires to give otherwise expensive benefits to random kettles.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IMO if you're extending your elite benefits to another person, such as being able to reserve good seats in advance without paying a fee, it's reasonable to expect you to actually sit with the person. Your colleague was given the ability to book good seats for free as a way of keeping you happy, not because BA desires to give otherwise expensive benefits to random kettles.
Do you often make stuff up to suit your opinion?
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:37 am

IMO if you're extending your elite benefits to another person, such as being able to reserve good seats in advance without paying a fee, it's reasonable to expect you to actually sit with the person. Your colleague was given the ability to book good seats for free as a way of keeping you happy, not because BA desires to give otherwise expensive benefits to random kettles people who should otherwise be asked to pay for the service.
Let's be nice.....
nancypants and Cotumely like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:38 am

Yes, they do. I have experienced this before (similar situation, wanted to sit in different rows, forced together in the same row).
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
All I can say is that it's never happened to me except when there is a configuration change that leads to reseating by the airline. In that case, I have indeed found myself next to my partner where we chose, say, two J windows (BTW: we have the same status so not a question of extending any benefits). Otherwise, we've always kept whatever seats we booked.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:39 am

It makes sense to sit you together as you're on the same booking. It doesn't make sense to change a seat that has been manually selected, even if not together, though.
twincheeks likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Do you often make stuff up to suit your opinion?
What did I make up? IMO = In my opinion.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines ExecPlat, Asiana Diamond
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
It makes sense to sit you together as you're on the same booking. It doesn't make sense to change a seat that has been manually selected, even if not together, though.
Yeah, exactly. I can understand if both or one of us didn’t select a seat for them to auto select nearby seats, but to not only change a manually selected seat months out, and then another manually selected seat at check-in is a bit overboard.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is simply an algorithm. Under the assumption that people booked together more than likely want to sit together, it reassigns people to adjoining seats. It is one of those "best for the most" situations.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:33 am

I have not experienced this.

My partner and I will often, on the same PNR, take 62A and 64K (for example) on a night flight. We've never been shifted.

(As an aside, we also have different surnames, and so unless anyone looked closely at the PNR they wouldn't realise that we were on the same booking. CC will often be quite surprised in the morning when we greet each other with familiarity. Once I was told, "gosh you move fast!"...)
SaraJH, dcmike, lloydje33 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:18 am

What did I make up? IMO = In my opinion.
You know well that BA don’t obligate passengers on the same PNR to sit together, yet you decided to answer a question nobody asked.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Often1
It is simply an algorithm. Under the assumption that people booked together more than likely want to sit together, it reassigns people to adjoining seats. It is one of those "best for the most" situations.
When did BA introduce a seating algorithim that overwrites the preference of passengers who have preselected seats?
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Originally Posted by hearingdouble
I have not experienced this.

My partner and I will often, on the same PNR, take 62A and 64K (for example) on a night flight. We've never been shifted.

(As an aside, we also have different surnames, and so unless anyone looked closely at the PNR they wouldn't realise that we were on the same booking. CC will often be quite surprised in the morning when we greet each other with familiarity. Once I was told, "gosh you move fast!"...)
That's not quite correct. In the DCS you and your partner would show as the same "group code" so an agent can very quickly identify you're travelling with somebody.

For example, Mr A Smith and Miss B Jones on the same PNR would be listed as:

Mr A Smith AA2
Miss B Jones AA2

AA being the group code and 2 showing the group consists of 2 passengers.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
I think this happened at LCY to me yesterday - I chose a seat at OLCI, the other person on my booking chose a seat in a different row when they OLCI'd later and the computer moved me. I wasn't a happy bunny - note to BA: if I choose my seat at OLCI, it's because I want to sit there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.