Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Gold - Gold Upgrade for Two Question "Urgent" 48hrs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Hi, so I have a Gold Upgrade for Two that expires in 2 days. I've spoken to BA and they said I need to apply this to booking but don't need to fly it in next 2 days. This being my first time I have a few questions I was hoping you all could help with.

1. If I book the flights on BA but through a consolidator or other because the flights were cheaper, can I apply this voucher? Or must I book directly with BA.com?
2. Must both ppl be in the same class to start with, say for example I book 1 seat in economy and 1 in the premium economy would they upgrade them accordingly to 1 business and 1 premium economy?
3. How can I really make the most of these?
4. To use, do I need to also make sure there is still room in the next class, or book these flights over the phone?

I'm currently looking at applying these to a flight LHR->HKT

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:15 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Welcome to FT!

Have you had a chance to find and read the GUF guide? BA Gold Upgrade Voucher Discussion and Wiki Thread it answers your questions and should empower you with the information on how to use them,

one important point, you can readily get an extension of 6 months for the expiry date which would make your questions a bit less urgent and give you some time to plan how you want to use it.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Mixed class not address in GUF guide

Hi thanks for sharing the link - I did read it an it was very helpful, however, it didn't seem to address the mixed class 2 ticket issue I presented. Does anyone have any info or experience on this?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:47 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jaxjax
Hi thanks for sharing the link - I did read it an it was very helpful, however, it didn't seem to address the mixed class 2 ticket issue I presented. Does anyone have any info or experience on this?
ah ok. Well the answer is that both passengers on the booking must be in the same cabin to start with, and must be upgraded together.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:55 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk jaxjax, and welcome to the BA forum. It's good to see you here jaxjax, and I hope you will continue to participate.

If that is HKT in Thailand then I suspect for various reasons this isn't going to work well. Have you any other travel plans? Things like INV-LHR-USA in WT or WTP revenue plus GUF can be good value for money.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Am close to LHR and do need to get to Phuket in Thailand for a wedding (HKT) why might it not work well?

Also, someone mentioned asking for an extension - would I call the Gold desk for that?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:25 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Am close to LHR and do need to get to Phuket in Thailand for a wedding (HKT) why might it not work well?

Also, someone mentioned asking for an extension - would I call the Gold desk for that?
Yes, you would call the Gold desk, though I don't know whether this is offered to GCH, It is to GGLs and Prems. The reason it's not the best location is that simply BA don't fly to HKT! And the BKK revenue fares can be quite inexpensive so starting from (e.g.) AMS rather than LHR would possibly be better that deploying a GUF anyway. Moreover doing shoe-horn complex travel with a ticking clock on your back tends to result in sub-optimal results as a very general rule.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold

The BKK flights are notoriously on older run down planes with less than stellar service. You may want to consider SIN and take a cheap flight from SIN-HKT (like Scoot, Air Asia, etc). There are some discount exEU Biz flights to SIN that will upgrade to FIRST on the A380. We are doing FCO-SIN-USM return in May for around 2,000 Euro each in biz and upgraded to FIRST.
jaxjax likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, you would call the Gold desk, though I don't know whether this is offered to GCH, It is to GGLs and Prems.
I'm a GCH and I've had my GUF2 extended in the past.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.