Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone on BA492 today (25th Feb) LHR-GIB

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN

Out of interest, is this likely to happen?
In my company ALL of our FDR data is downloaded and reviewed periodically. They're looking for certain parameters and so on that may have been broken. It'll only ever become public if it becomes a reportable incident and reviewed by the AAIB - else it'll all be kept internally. In other words if something was seriously amiss with the aircraft or the crew actions then it'll all come out eventually - otherwise we can assume it was wholly weather related and nothing more to be said.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold
The onboard looks like it could have been a very serious incident if it got any worse than the conditions it found.

Doesn't look natural to me.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
That's a bunch of passengers after my own heart: laughing their way through it.
Yeah that’s the most talking and laughing I’ve heard on a BA flight for a while.

The creaking noise the plane was making in that video was scary.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by AllTheNines
In my company ALL of our FDR data is downloaded and reviewed periodically. They're looking for certain parameters and so on that may have been broken.
Would that be done via the FDR itself, or via a QAR?
Originally Posted by MarkFlies
The creaking noise the plane was making in that video was scary.
It sounded like the noise that the rigging on a yacht can make when ploughing through waves. Which, I suppose, is a fair analogy.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:45 pm

I’ve been in a very similar situation coming into (ironically) Malaga on a Ryanair flight about 10 years back. Two go-around before landing. The first very similar to this, exceptionally fresh and lively with the passengers giggling and groaning.

The second attempt was was markedly more quieter but just as hair raising, if not more so.

For the third time the pax were so quiet you could have heard the proverbial pin drop. Upon touching tarmac you would expect the occupants to break into relieved applause but we continued to be quiet as mice until baggage carousels when the hubbub resumed.

It it was frightening for everyone who hasn’t experienced this movement at landing. Which I assume is a large percentage of fliers.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:56 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by george77300
Looks a bit worse in this video. A good 20-30 secs of oscillation and this is full video including approach and Go Around.

Even hear a passenger say: "I think we might be going Malaga!" They've clearly been to GIB before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78ZDaQ0UYZg
Bloody 'ell, I felt sick just watching that! GIB is off my holiday bucket list.
Crampedin13A, Saltire74 and jday like this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Blimey. I've had a few sporty approaches over the years but nothing like that! It's pretty extreme oscillation and then appears to settle and stabilise more or less totally? It sounds from the posts above that this is not uncommon for GIB, but that would have worried me.
BAECAddict likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Such a beautiful looking day as well which probably made it more scarier for those on board. That lump of rock is to blame.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Bloody 'ell, I felt sick just watching that! GIB is off my holiday bucket list.
Mmm, I wondering are numbers going down for the upcoming GIB Flyertalk do.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Would that be done via the FDR itself, or via a QAR?It sounded like the noise that the rigging on a yacht can make when ploughing through waves. Which, I suppose, is a fair analogy.
Ok. True.

I feel no better off knowing that.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:15 pm

Programs: *A
Would there be any immigration issues for pax not eligible to enter Spain? Or would the BA bus effective bypass Spanish border control.
​​​​​
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:51 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Such a beautiful looking day as well which probably made it more scarier for those on board. That lump of rock is to blame.
I know nothing... but wasn't it a bit high and too far away for it to be caused by the rotors from the rock? The clip starts just as the go-around is initiated, so the "unstableness" must have started even before that.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sds1493
Would there be any immigration issues for pax not eligible to enter Spain? Or would the BA bus effective bypass Spanish border control.
​​​​​
yes there are issues. The Spanish are not cooperative on this. If you watch a GIB flight boarding at LHR and if the weather suggests they may have to divert they will offload those who do not have rights to enter the Schengen area. Usually you will see quite a few people with seamen visas being taken off.
florens and george77300 like this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AllTheNines
You can rule out mechanical problems as the aircraft flew from AGP back to LHR. I don't think it's fair to suggest Pilot Induced Oscillations until the FDR (Flight Data Recorder) is downloaded and assessed.
This looks like being caught in a rather severe rotor effect as a result of the easterly wind hitting the rock, being forced up and then swirling down the other side (on the side of the Bay, where they were turning on to final for RW09).
If it's not fair to suggest PIO without the FDR then it's also not fair to suggest it's a rotor effect. ;-)
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/...l#post10400619

Someone on PPRUNE claims to have ‘an inside BA source’ confirm that post 39 on that thread is accurate.

I am not going to express a view - just raise it out of interest.
Globaliser likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.