Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone on BA492 today (25th Feb) LHR-GIB

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Anyone on BA492 today (25th Feb) LHR-GIB

Well the flight later diverted to AGP, but video doesn't look so comfortable. Was wondering if anyone on-board could confirm? Possibly looks a lot worse than it felt?

Here's some video:

Last edited by george77300; Feb 25, 2019 at 8:51 am
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:52 am

Curios why it kept oscillating... anyone have any idea?
george77300 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
Curios why it kept oscillating... anyone have any idea?
Not sure but the go-around will be manually flown so maybe constant over correction of controls not helped by changeable wind conditions around the rock??

That would be my best guess but definitely not sure.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I bet there were lots of squeaky-bums on that aircraft!
george77300 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Could be an issue with a yaw damper?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:25 am

Nice of the pilot to wave at everyone on the ground...
'andad and dpfs like this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
I'm struggling to believe that level of over correction..... With reported winds of 30knts.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Just now there was an interview with a passenger on Sky news
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
There's a short video from onboard,

SK, ThatT1Feeling and george77300 like this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Ben Jones
There's a short video from onboard,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-fbHMir7Ww
From onboard it doesn’t look that bad to be fair.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It is quite an amusing interview on Sky, the passenger had to be teased to get the "colour" - he was better on hard factual input. Full of praise for BA, Hiddy could learn from this gentleman. To see the interview, for the next few hours only, first work out how many minutes it is right now from 16:24 UK time / GMT so 17:24 CET. Approximately 45 minutes at the time of this post. Then pull back that number of minutes on the time thread at the bottom.

https://news.sky.com/watch-live

Spoiler - with some encouragement the words "rollercoaster" and "final prayers" were dragged out of our resourceful traveller. He returns to London tomorrow.
HIDDY and Traveller 935 like this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:42 am

Interesting how (according to the guy on board) the pilot said they might try to land at Gibraltar again if the weather improves. I'll admit, looking at the video I was sure on some form of mechanical issue causing the mad oscillating, but hearing that passenger's account would surely mean otherwise.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
Could be an issue with a yaw damper?
Considering the yaw damper affects, well, yaw, and is generally not used during take-off and landing, unlikely.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by frebethemature
Interesting how (according to the guy on board) the pilot said they might try to land at Gibraltar again if the weather improves. I'll admit, looking at the video I was sure on some form of mechanical issue causing the mad oscillating, but hearing that passenger's account would surely mean otherwise.
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum frebethemature, it's good to see you here, welcome on board. Personally I doubt it was mechanical, the aircraft, G-EUUY, is already on the way back to London, having waited in AGP for the GIB-LHR passengers to be coached in from the Rock. It's a well oiled process, wind and fog means this operation is done several times a year.
rog747 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum frebethemature, it's good to see you here, welcome on board. Personally I doubt it was mechanical, the aircraft, G-EUUY, is already on the way back to London, having waited in AGP for the GIB-LHR passengers to be coached in from the Rock. It's a well oiled process, wind and fog means this operation is done several times a year.
I guess it must just be the weather then. Surprised though. I'm used to seeing planes getting tossed around by the wind but this did seem quite excessive - even for Gibraltar!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.