Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tel Aviv 777 First Class

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Tel Aviv 777 First Class

Hi. I'm aware that over the years availability of F tends to be on and off on this route. I see that there is an F cabin for sale for the foreseeable on certain flights. I've read elsewhere that these 777's might not be great in First. Does anyone have any info to either confirm or deny? For example, is the cabin interior likely to be of a decent recently upgraded standard and is the IFE kit likely to be decent? I also realise this is one of the airline's shortest F routes, so wondering if they allocate older and longer time ago refurbished aircraft on this route? Will first be worth the money over CW. Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
All the First cabins throughout BA are now the same, given that Old First is no longer with us. There are two differences - IFE and general space around. The A380, which went under the name of First Prime for a short while, has more panelling and space, so it's the best out there on BA's fleet. Second best are all the 777s, which doesn't have the panelling but has got more space. 787s and 747s are a bit more cramped, not that there are many complaints other than that the 787s can't do buddy dining . There may be a case against the 17 seater 777s, of which there are only 3 left, on the basis that at that size it isn't as exclusive a cabin as the main 8 / 12 / 14 seater cabins. The core seat, however, is the same throughout.

For the IFE it is quite complex and you can't tell from the seat plan of First what IFE you're going to get, but suffice to say the IFE can vary from poor (Rockwell Collins), good (Thales) and excellent (Panasonic, hypothetically). The 17 seaters do have Thales, the rest is a mix. You would either need to give the date of travel, or the first and last seat of WTP for someone to look it up for you, or work your way through thebasource.com to work it out for yourself.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
The 17 seater 777 is one of my favourites I think, I like the slightly bigger cabin and didn’t notice any reduction in service levels (although I can’t remember if it was full)
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Thank you. I'd also read that the 17 seater's are often used on shorter middle East routes. Anyone know if they get used on TLV?

Last edited by northeastflyer; Feb 23, 2019 at 8:31 am
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List & GfL, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by northeastflyer
Thank you. I'd also read that the 17 seater's are often used on shorter middle East routes. Anyone know if they get used on TLV?
I have flown in one coming from TLV to LHR.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
In the last month Zulu Alpha, Bravo and Charlie have all made at least one visit to TLV, making 8 return flights in total. Because they aren't Extended Range 777s they can't do the longer flights so Middle East and East Coast USA is their usual schedule.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
I've been on ZA, AB and ZC in first class between Toronto and London and they're fine. (I think there is no crew rest space which is where the extra seats come from. Off thread, but I find first far inferior when served by mixed fleet. They just lack the personal touch and experience that long haul staff provide. So much so, I've stopped booking first (on avois on the route (excluding this winter where there has been on first) as the service was so bad on my last two flights. I like the 777 for first trips as the cabin has space. (I do miss 1A / 2A on the 747.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
The IFE situation will be unpredictable even if you know what’s scheduled, given the current frequency of equipment swaps, especially on 777 routes. Recently had a late swap of a 17F (Thales IFE) to a 12F (Rockwell Collins) on the TLV route (and had a few similar changes on 777 routes over the last year). I’ve started avoiding advance selection of 3/4K for this reason, and the Rockwell Collins IFE on these aircraft is really very poor by today’s standards.

IFE-routette aside, I prefer F on the 777 to the 744, better personal and overall cabin space. Also haven’t had any particular issues with MF crews in F, on this or other routes. As to the value on TLV, it’s not the longest flight and value is a personal thing, but depending on flight combination F can be had for a relatively small premium to CW on the route.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Accor Diamond, other airline programmes very basic
Hi. I'm aware that over the years availability of F tends to be on and off on this route. I see that there is an F cabin for sale for the foreseeable on certain flights. I've read elsewhere that these 777's might not be great in First. Does anyone have any info to either confirm or deny? For example, is the cabin interior likely to be of a decent recently upgraded standard and is the IFE kit likely to be decent? I also realise this is one of the airline's shortest F routes, so wondering if they allocate older and longer time ago refurbished aircraft on this route? Will first be worth the money over CW. Thanks for your help.
I've flown this route in F and while the cabin itself was fine the range and quality of food both on the outward and return legs was very disappointing. I've been lucky enough to fly F a few times and in terms of catering have been largely impressed but our flight from LHR to TLV was at breakfast time and both the choice and quality were disappointing. Perhaps we were just unlucky though?
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:44 pm

I've flown this route in F quite a few times now. For me, BA F food is too often mediocre. The IFE seemed fine. IIRC on one flight the cabin had 14 seats. I remember this only as there were no other passengers in F apart from my husband and I. Before joining FT I paid scant attention to plane types, airport codes or layouts. The knowledge on the forum is amazing to tap into for detail.
DeathSlam and onobond like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BarelyBAGold
I've flown this route in F and while the cabin itself was fine the range and quality of food both on the outward and return legs was very disappointing. I've been lucky enough to fly F a few times and in terms of catering have been largely impressed but our flight from LHR to TLV was at breakfast time and both the choice and quality were disappointing. Perhaps we were just unlucky though?
I had the same from LHR to TLV in First. I ordered the chicken club sandwich and it was of poor quality.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:10 pm

Are there any services in TLV for BA first above BA Club world? Check-in / lounge / or otherwise?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Unfortunately not. No special ground services at all, except for a First check in desk which of course is used by GCH as well.

As for the OP's original question (I'm a little late to this post), TLV seems to get a real mix of 777s, including the 77W which is scheduled fairly often for the summer schedule.
roberto.triviani likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:28 am

Thanks Clubman, I appreciate your reply

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.