Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Cityflyer Suspends LCY-ORY from the end of May 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Cityflyer Suspends LCY-ORY from the end of May 2019

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Re: Spare Air Frame - I see they have started up LCY-MUC which is good for me. I only realised this week as was booking a flight back to London and it is the earliest departure so gets me into London an hour ahead of LHR
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Accor Diamond, other airline programmes very basic
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I would guess the reason is that there isn't enough demand to sustain the route. LCY is typically priced at a premium where BA operates from multiple London airports on the same route (e.g. AMS, ZRH, GVA, EDI, etc.), but every time I've looked at it LCY-ORY has been cheaper than LHR-CDG and with a very empty seat plan, which probably tells you something about how attractive passengers find ORY as an airport. Few connections also, which doesn't help.
I have flown this route many times in CE and always found the aircraft to be packed, both in CE and ET. When there was a BA lounge at ORY, typically around 20 passengers would be there waiting for the LCY flight and as such I was a bit surprised to learn that BA considered the route not commercially viable. I liked ORY as more often than not a taxi to the Champs Elysee area was often quicker from ORY than from CDG. I will certainly miss the service.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Sad to see this service go - Paris is my most regular route, and this was my preferred outbound when flying. Every flight (bar the very first I flew) has been full, although the fares perhaps don't climb as much as the LHR-CDG fares where peak times (also tying with long haul departures at Heathrow) tend to climb a lot more.

With OpenSkies going away, it really just left the ORY lounge for the afternoon flight. 20-30 people (on a 76 seater Embraer) would regularly be there, so they were certainly doing swift business with frequent flyers.

But my guess is they've run the numbers and figure they could earn more flying somewhere slightly less competitive. I prefer the CX CDG lounge (and Eurofleet service) for coming home, but it's a bit more hassle to get to Heathrow in the morning for a flight out. Will probably take the train more, and BA less off the back of this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Ah that’s a shame - I was a regular until recently, and will be coming to Paris more often again soon. As it happens I will be using this route tomorrow
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
I found Orly a bit more of a pain to get to than the transfer from CDG and the need to buy an additional fare for the 'people mover' to the airport was a bit of a moot point too.

The post security 'lounge' was also, to be fair, tiny, but not an airport you could arrive late at in the style of LCY.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 4:39 am

Programs: BAEC
I flew this route recently. The convenience of getting to LCY was undermined by the PITA factor of getting from ORY to Central Paris. Mind you CDG via train isn't amazing. However now that Open Skies is gone, I don't have any reason to use ORY.

I think the primary reason for this, though, is that business travelers come to London by train, and anyone connecting to a Paris airport to or from BA long-haul is going to do so at another London airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.