Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Confirmed vs. Waitlist - staff travel related enquiry

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confirmed vs. Waitlist - staff travel related enquiry

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I treat people how I like to be treated myself, it seems to work for me.
As do I... And always bent over backwards to be nice to, and help staff pax when at work. But it seems like not everyone has the same ethos when it comes to looking after staff. And, after each of the occasions I was treat badly by "colleagues" when using my perk of staff travel, I thought "why do I bother"... But some of us simply can't treat people any other way than we are supposed to be it by learning or personal standards.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I agree it’s a shame that some people don’t feel the same way.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree it’s a shame that some people don’t feel the same way.
And, I imagine if it happened on your aircraft, it would be swiftly nipped in the bud.
SpeedbirdLHR likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Speaking from personal experience I have never been treated rudely or anything other than with kindness.
You're fortunate. I've had 3 really bad that I remember clearly - one on BGI to LGW flight, one at Newark and the other in Toronto. Have had one other that was bad but not compared to those 3. I now try to ensure that I find flights where I can get seated easily and avoid dealing with staff at outstations as much as possible and there is no question about me getting on. I even look at alternates if I know a particular flight is likely to be risking. On board, I've largely had better experiences.....the BGI-LGW was definitely the worse. I would rather not make it blatantly obvious that I'm staff and skipping around me to serve others does just that.
BingBongBoy likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Absolutely and anyone not performing would be managed.
SpeedbirdLHR likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SpeedbirdLHR
You're fortunate. I've had 3 really bad that I remember clearly - one on BGI to LGW flight, one at Newark and the other in Toronto. Have had one other that was bad but not compared to those 3. I now try to ensure that I find flights where I can get seated easily and avoid dealing with staff at outstations as much as possible and there is no question about me getting on. I even look at alternates if I know a particular flight is likely to be risking. On board, I've largely had better experiences.....the BGI-LGW was definitely the worse. I would rather not make it blatantly obvious that I'm staff and skipping around me to serve others does just that.
I think you are making this up now

I agree on the last point... Whilst it can be difficult sometimes onboard to be discrete with staff, especially when you have nebby-nine-doors in the seat next to them, things like taking the meal order in club can be done in a way that make it less obvious to the rest of the cabin etc.

I always tried to do the same as you, always looked for flights that were wide open, where there should not be any seating issues, especially on my J ticket, but the interactions at my two names outstations certainly marred my experience and really put me off staff travel, which is why I did not use it often.
SpeedbirdLHR likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Just to be treat with respect and as a person... Not something the ground staff in JFK stood in on the side walk.

It never ceased to amaze me how nasty staff could be towards people on non-rev travel in the terminal and onboard.
I’ve used Staff Travel on and off since about 1974 and have always been treated extremely well. The staff at the E desks at T5 are very helpful and friendly.

On board, people are always friendly (a lot of the time they don’t know who you are anyway), but even when they do, I’ve always been treated well.

As someone said, it can be stressful and backup plans are often needed, but generally it’s a pretty good perk.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Saladman

I’ve used Staff Travel on and off since about 1974 and have always been treated extremely well. The staff at the E desks at T5 are very helpful and friendly.

On board, people are always friendly (a lot of the time they don’t know who you are anyway), but even when they do, I’ve always been treated well.

As someone said, it can be stressful and backup plans are often needed, but generally it’s a pretty good perk.
Never had an issue out of London... Always at an outstation.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

There were 20 people in front on me with J entitlement, and there were 12 seats left on the aircraft in CW.

I was checked in as a CW passenger no problem, and the check in agent was lovely and offered a choice of seats.

As others said, I believe that the staff travel passengers in front of me in the queue with confirmed status were already confirmed in J when the system was showing 12 seats.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

On the way back the flight is looking busy in CW, but plenty of seats in F.

Would BA upgrade another passenger to F in order to seat staff with J entitlement in CW?

I read somewhere that they do, and I thought this is a very nice thing to do, both for paying pax and for Staff Travel pax.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
Would BA upgrade another passenger to F in order to seat staff with J entitlement in CW?
They might, they might not, someone might upgrade themselves, or nosho, or you might have to lump it in W or Y (or a jumpseat! ).

Keep fingers and toes crossed, and try not to over analyse it...
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
On the way back the flight is looking busy in CW, but plenty of seats in F.

I read somewhere that they do, and I thought this is a very nice thing to do, both for paying pax and for Staff Travel pax.
Correct, J customers would be upgraded to F to create seat in J for J priority staff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.