Flights ‘unavailable’ 11 months out?

Old Mar 14, 19, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Flights ‘unavailable’ 11 months out?

Unusually for me, I thought I would get myself organized and book my connecting flights for a trip planned in Feb 2020. I’m a bit surprised to find that quite a few flights are already ‘unavailable’ and pricing for many of the flights that are actually showing for mid-Feb inbound LGW/MLA are stratospheric . Is it really possible that flights are getting booked out so early or have BA just not realise the seats yet?

Also, Prices that are actually showing outbound from MLA are ok and thus it seems crazy that the inbound LGW/MLA is already showing as almost £500 during the week of 23/02/2020., in low season. Can other FT’’ers enlighten me as to why this is - it’s too early for school half term, surely? I need the flights but am wondering whether more seats will be released if I hold off for now.
Old Mar 14, 19, 1:33 am

Programs: AA EP 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Easyjet are not taking bookings yet. So people like you who want to book far ahead have only one choice and BA think they can charge you a lot of money.

Wait until Easyjet bookings open, which is usually 6 and a bit months ahead, and BA will suddenly be cheaper when they have some competition on sale.
Old Mar 14, 19, 1:37 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Gold
On the half term question:
in our area half term starts Monday 17th February, back to school Monday 24th
Old Mar 14, 19, 2:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
I checked on expertflyer some random dates you mentioned above. The flights I checked the availability for fare classes are very strange.

So for example on the 23/02/2020 BA2644 looks like this.
J9 C4 D0 R0 I0 Y9 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0N0 O0 Q0 S0 G0

So basically BA only sell in Economy a fully flexible tickets, CE similar you too. Seat maps however show all seats available to select.
Most likely this is an unintentional and unrealistic sale configuration for these flights.
I would wait at least a couple of days and hopefully someone in Revenue management will correct this to a more reasonable figures. I don't think they will find over a 100 people to pay full flex economy tickets every day for these flights.
Old Mar 14, 19, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not unusual for inventory to be released like that, either new routes or 355 days out. Not many people book that far in advance, especially if paying cash rather than snagging miles availability.
Old Mar 14, 19, 2:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
I think 11 months out is never a good time to buy a ticket - unless money is truly no object. BA often don't load the lower fare buckets for some days/weeks after the flight goes on sale, and in the next few months there's high probability of a sale. Unless it's a very high demand route (e.g. major sporting event, cherry blossom time etc) it's unlikely to sell out for some months so I'd definitely sit tight and keep an eye on prices.
Old Mar 14, 19, 2:57 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Keep an eye on money saving expert for the Easyjet flight release dates, it might be worth looking at BA again around that time. I've also picked up some absolute bargains on Easyjet by booking at release, CFU £100 return is one example.
Old Mar 14, 19, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Sage advice as always, thank you, I thought it was all looking just too weird but was almost panicked into shelling out (but not quite).. I will sit tight - good point about Easyjet. Perhaps I should change my handle to NABAS (notaBAsucker). Thanks also for the half term tip off - just shows that I'm a tad out of touch these days!
Old Mar 14, 19, 3:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I was faced with a similar situation when I was trying to book flights to Oslo for December 2019. 11 months out, the fares were astronomical (over £300 return), and only booking into Y. I checked daily and then, in mid-February, the fares suddenly plummeted and I was able to get the same flights for just £70.

Just sit tight and keep checking until the discounted fare buckets are released.
gypsyjaney likes this.
Old Mar 14, 19, 10:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold
You can set up a Google flight alert and get notified when the price changes, saves you the hassle of checking every day
Old Mar 14, 19, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA EP 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
To be clear, I do not say "book Easyjet" unconditionally.

I say "wait until Easyjet are competing, then book BA" - if you want to travel BA.

Prices may be similar.
gypsyjaney likes this.
Old Mar 14, 19, 1:56 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by windowontheAside View Post
I think 11 months out is never a good time to buy a ticket - unless money is truly no object. BA often don't load the lower fare buckets for some days/weeks after the flight goes on sale, and in the next few months there's high probability of a sale. Unless it's a very high demand route (e.g. major sporting event, cherry blossom time etc) it's unlikely to sell out for some months so I'd definitely sit tight and keep an eye on prices.
I had an opposite experience for my upcoming trip. I will travel to Vancouver on May 22 (and fly back from Calgary in June) and bought my flights on July 15 last year. WTP was at a bargain at that time and has almost doubled in price since then. Even economy seats have been more expensive (or about the same price) most of the time than what I paid.
Old Mar 14, 19, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
There are still avios seats available most days. 4000 avios + £67.50 on the 23rd, less in the later off peak days.
Old Mar 14, 19, 2:25 pm

If you need to book a ticket 11 months in advance, then it probably means that you have a very important appointment that you under no circumstances can miss, so you can't wait until others start booking the flight and then risk that it will already be sold out before you manage to snatch a ticket. BA probably takes advantage of this and charges you a premium for this.
Old Mar 14, 19, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Well it’s true about the important appointment - it’s called escaping some of the winter! However it is a bit early and I take the point about B A charging a premium. I will lurk for a while and hope to avoid TimDP’s experience,

Search this Thread