Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Card exipry and future flight when very low BAEC status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:29 am
siw
Original Poster

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum

I very rarely fly with non-SkyTeam airlines but a few years ago (it must have been a February as my BAEC year start is in Feb) I had a last minute BA flight and afterwards I signed up with BAEC (as it's free), not knowning then I could not retrospectively add that flight to the account. Not having flown with BA (or any oneWorld airline) since then my BAEC account has remained full of zeros. The BA app says my card has an expiry date of March 2019, AFAIK actual cards are, sensibly, not made for Blue status. However, I have been booked on a BA return ticket for May 2019 and I put my BAEC number with it. Will anything happen due to the card expiry date being before the flight date, e.g. the BAEC number taken off the ticket?

I may opt to switch loyalty from SkyTeam (AF/KL Flying Blue) to oneWorld (BAEC) but that would mean starting to climb the status ladder from scratch when I already have FB Platinum status and halfway to Platinum For Life. Because Flying Blue earning of redeembale Miles on AF/KL flights numbers is now lower than a pittance and it is inevitable that FB will make SkyTeam partner flight Miles earning revenue based rather than distance & cabin class bonus based since passengers earn more, and hence I seek out, non-AF/KL flights now. Has BAEC taken up the same business model as FB insofar as to actively discourage FB members buying AF/KL tickets and new FB members from signing up?

Thanks.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Nothing will happen to your booking. What will happen is that fairly soon your status year will update to March 2020 (status year ends on the last day of the month after your tier point earning year)

BA is still based on miles flown. There have been rumours it will change to revenue based but they are just rumours at present.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
And, based on my experience, after your first BAEC trip in May 2019, your expiry date will change to May or June 2020 (depending on the date of the first flight).
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:32 am
siw
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies to my poorly worded post.

My BA flights are during the first week of May.

Are there any hints BAEC will become reveune based and then, like Flying Blue, make earning redeemable Miles/Points only a fraction of the current earned amounts?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can you do a status match or status challenge from AF/KLM to BA?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: BA Silver
BA don’t status match.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:59 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by siw
Are there any hints BAEC will become reveune based and then, like Flying Blue, make earning redeemable Miles/Points only a fraction of the current earned amounts?
Here is a thread full of rumors and speculation in relation to the BAEC but as far as I'm aware there's nothing that has been substantiated so far:

Revenue based BAEC
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by siw
I had a last minute BA flight and afterwards I signed up with BAEC (as it's free), not knowning then I could not retrospectively add that flight to the account.
I'm confused by this. You *can* retrospectively add a flight as long as it was flown not more than 3 months prior to joining BAEC. Did you try to claim the flight when you signed up?
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:51 am
siw
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I'm confused by this. You *can* retrospectively add a flight as long as it was flown not more than 3 months prior to joining BAEC. Did you try to claim the flight when you signed up?
I cannot recall exactly. I seem to remember I could not retro-claim because I was not already a BAEC member when I flew. It was not a case of forgetting link the FFP number to the ticket before the flight. Not to fussed about it as I'll only ever be pauper Blue status in BAEC.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by siw
I cannot recall exactly. I seem to remember I could not retro-claim because I was not already a BAEC member when I flew. It was not a case of forgetting link the FFP number to the ticket before the flight. Not to fussed about it as I'll only ever be pauper Blue status in BAEC.
Ok so just for the record, you can retro-claim even if you weren't a BAEC member when you flew. The condition is that the relevant flight must be not more than 3 months before you joined. Too late now, but worth noting in case others come across this thread.
KARFA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.