Wiki Posts
Search

BA4463 15 Feb on BAe 146-200

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; AA LTG MM
BA4463 15 Feb on BAe 146-200

Tomorrow's BA4463 from DUB to LCY has been switched from an Embraer 190 to a BAe 146-200 (IATA code 142) which I think hasn't been made since 1993. Looking at Flightradar24, I can't see which aeroplane this is. I thought it might have been one of the CityJet planes borrowed from Aer Lingus, but they don't seem to have this type any more. Does anyone know where BA managed to find such an old plane?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
I seem to recall they operated one from WDL in the past

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
The CityJet planes are now owned/run by Aer Lingus so I would have thought that IAG moved some stock around and you'll be on one of those. I prefer the Embraers but some I work with fly the BAe planes for the uniqueness. They're a bit tighter with 6 seats across but for a 1 hour flight they're fine. Yes a bit older but they're well maintained and clean.

edit: it's not cityjet then!!

Last edited by GaxxyFlyer; Feb 14, 2019 at 3:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
They often use Jota Aviation for these flights.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
It's WDL Aviation, according to EF.
Code:
Flight Details Search:
Departing on 15/02/19 0:00
Flying BA flight 4463

Depart Arrive Airline Equipment Number Meal Time Miles Reliability
DUB LCY
Terminal: 1 Terminal: NA BA* 142 4463 M M M 1h 30m 293 85% / 24m
15/02/19 8:55 15/02/19 10:25
* OPERATED BY /WDL AVIATION FOR BA CITYFLYER
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks all - you guys are quick!

Looks like I'm in for an episode of "Antiques Airshow". The three 142s in WDL's fleet were delivered between 1986 and 1988.

https://www.planespotters.net/airline/WDL-Aviation
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:37 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
I have great memories of these planes powered by 4 hairdryers. Also remember with great fondness the very odd and loud noise that occurs around 30 seconds after take off and never fails to startle/freak out the less frequent flyer!
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:37 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Last British jet passenger aircraft.

It's been a while since we led the world in aviation.
Capt Hammond likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Takiteasy
Also remember with great fondness the very odd and loud noise that occurs around 30 seconds after take off ...
Fluting, during flap retraction - a bit like an organ pipe. It often happens again during flap extension before landing.

I remember that Ansett New Zealand used to have a paragraph in the in-flight magazine specifically describing this noise, attributing its audibility to the quietness of the engines on the "Whisperjet". For an aircraft model of its vintage, it was pretty quiet - but judging by the occasions on which you can hear the noise from the ground that was a pretty thin excuse.
Takiteasy likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Worcester
It's been a while since we led the world in aviation.
Oh, I think that there are plenty of ways in which the UK still does. It's just that some are not obvious, and some are not crowd-pleasing.

To look at the positives, I seem to recall that the reason why Airbus wing production is located in the UK is the long-standing world-leading expertise that the UK has developed and still maintains in wing design.
Worcester likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I have found myself in this situation before on this route (seems not uncommon for DUB) and called BA - they were happy to switch me to another service on the same day, so perhaps you like to do that if your time is flexible.

While I appreciate the nostalgia for the aircraft, I personally find the in flight experience horrendous. Loud, cramped (many have 3-3 layout and seats seem like they were designed for someone of pencil width), noisy and dated. I would feel aggrieved at this switch from a CF Embraer in your shoes but at least BA have done the right thing for me in the past. I hope it works out for you!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm going somewhere even louder - the London Motorcycle Show at the ExCel London. It's a perfectly timed flight, landing at 10:25 and then a fifteen minute walk to the show from the airport.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by 27Liam
I have found myself in this situation before on this route (seems not uncommon for DUB) and called BA - they were happy to switch me to another service on the same day, so perhaps you like to do that if your time is flexible.

While I appreciate the nostalgia for the aircraft, I personally find the in flight experience horrendous. Loud, cramped (many have 3-3 layout and seats seem like they were designed for someone of pencil width), noisy and dated. I would feel aggrieved at this switch from a CF Embraer in your shoes but at least BA have done the right thing for me in the past. I hope it works out for you!
I'd have to agree that the in-flight comfort on a 3-3 layout plane is unpleasant even for a short flight, and the lack of overhead locker space under the wings also causes issue. I do quite like the quirky nature of the design of the 146 and have fond memories of watching Air UK's fleet taking off from EDI early in the morning in the late 80's, early 90's from Runway 13/30 and flying over my house.

These days I'd much prefer an Embraer 170/190.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:19 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
Ditto. And at LCY also the A200 that LX operates, though sadly not an option from DUB
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
I'd have to agree that the in-flight comfort on a 3-3 layout plane is unpleasant even for a short flight, and the lack of overhead locker space under the wings also causes issue. I do quite like the quirky nature of the design of the 146 and have fond memories of watching Air UK's fleet taking off from EDI early in the morning in the late 80's, early 90's from Runway 13/30 and flying over my house.

If it hasn't changed then the WDL example retains it's original 2-3 config, so a pretty comfortable ride

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.