Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Screen etiquette - should I be offended?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Screen etiquette - should I be offended?

Hubby and I are sitting in the middle seats in Club World. Person sitting in aisle seat facing me walks up and before doing anything else immediately puts the screen up - before sitting down or removing bag from shoulder or anything.

Crew haven't handed out water, amenities, menus, drinks or anything so it inconveniences them. There isn't much of a view from the centre seats but now we cannot see anything out of one side. I did lower the screen when we were taking off so we could see out but he didn't look happy about that.

I'm quite happy for people to put up the screen but it was just that he did it before doing anything else which just seemed incredibly rude.

Is this normal behaviour or was this person just a rude git?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Completely normal behaviour I would say / it’s certainly what I would do the moment I saw down. One of the unwritten CW rules is that anyone can put the divider up, any time. Having experienced an over enthusiastic talker many years ago I have no desire to be caught by another one jabbering at me face on 😱 Not suggesting you are one of those of course!

One of the risks or benefits of the middle pairs (depending on POV) is that you are shut off from the cabin.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Fairly normal and you are being far too sensitive.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I put the screen up at the very first opportunity and it’s stays up until landing. I don’t think it’s rude at all
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, Virgin Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH diamond, IHG Platinum
I didn’t even know you could put it up that early as I always assume they don’t work until after the safety demo. I admit I will put the screen up as early as possible. I hate the awkward avoiding staring into each other’s eyes. Plus gives people a chance to start talking to you which is not something I am always in the mood for.

So so no I don’t think it’s rude. That’s what they are there for.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
I feel extremely uncomfortable with a stranger facing me and would smile and put the screen up.
Offically (I think) it only needs to be down for the safety briefing- I don’t think it was incredibly rude- but to acknowledge the person on the other side might have been a little more polite.
That being said if you were in a middle pair it might have been a moot point as the aisle pair(s) might have had their screen(s) up which would have also blocked your view.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It can be up at any time other than during the safety briefing.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

I'm quite happy about the divider going up - its just putting it up before you even get to your seat that bothered me. I would at least sit down first!

I also do not want to interact with the other passenger but personally I would at least smile or say hello before doing it!
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: All the usual suspects
The screen coupled with the forward backward seating arrangement seems designed as some sort of social experiment on how people will react.

I wouldn't say it was abnormal or especially rude, its public transport and different people behave in different ways in different circumstances. Personally I hate having the screen down but I never put it up until the safety briefing is complete, primarily because that is what BA ask you to do. I usually put it up with a smile or some comment, but I certainly don't want it down any longer than necessary. I suspect that some people find it very awkward, to be half staring at a complete stranger from a distance of around 3 feet, me I just want the privacy.

I just had 8000 avios deposited into my account for a non-functioning screen.
mauve and AnaTravel like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

And it certainly wasn't lowered for the safety demonstration either
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Worst CW flight of my life was wife someone who claimed they needed the screen down to cabin crew (they were in an aisle!) as they were claustrophobic and proceeded to try and engage in conversation most of the flight.

Screen goes up early. As said earlier it is a weird social experiment. And curious for a British airline...
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
I always ask the person in the other seat if they mind if I put the divider up and no one ever refuses.

it doesn’t cost anything to be polite. if someone had done what you experienced I probably would have thought that was a bit rude too... for a split second and then forgotten about it!

Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Whenever I find myself in a confined space with strangers, be it a lift or a seat on an aircraft, I tend to nod slightly and thereafter keep myself to myself.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Can I help you
It can be up at any time other than during the safety briefing.
I am quite surprised. I always believed in screens down at take off and landing. Is a screen in up position not detrimental to evacuation if it gets mangled in a crash ?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: Meh
Absolutely normal thing for me to do. I have no interest making small talk or facing a stranger.
orbitmic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.