Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Screen etiquette - should I be offended?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by HMPS

I am quite surprised. I always believed in screens down at take off and landing. Is a screen in up position not detrimental to evacuation if it gets mangled in a crash ?
Nope.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Karen762
And it certainly wasn't lowered for the safety demonstration either
The crew should have noticed this a put the screen down so that you could see them pointing out the emergency exits, which route was this?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Aren't you a delicate flower! Completely normal behaviour - I'd have done the same.
NoY and Crofton138 like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you

The crew should have noticed this a put the screen down so that you could see them pointing out the emergency exits, which route was this?
BA16 on the Sydney to Singapore leg (and the crew were absolutely lovely by the way)
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But not safety focused!
kaka, flygirl68, orbitmic and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP's question is about etiquette. There is none. it is there for people who want privacy. The other person apparently wanted privacy, so up it went.

If the crew requires the screen to be down, that is for the crew to deal with.
LTN Phobia and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Well, Karen, I agree with your sentiments about the timing of the raising of the screen. Personally, if I am downgraded to CW for some reason, I like to size the other person up and down, ask a few choice questions to reveal social strata and upbringing, and then I make a decision about raising the screen for 8hrs.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
OP's question is about etiquette. There is none. it is there for people who want privacy. The other person apparently wanted privacy, so up it went.

If the crew requires the screen to be down, that is for the crew to deal with.
I agree it’s for the crew to make sure the screen is down for the safety briefing however it does say very clearly on the screen that it must be down for this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: All the usual suspects
Originally Posted by HMPS

I am quite surprised. I always believed in screens down at take off and landing. Is a screen in up position not detrimental to evacuation if it gets mangled in a crash ?
How so?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by oxtailsoup
I always ask the person in the other seat if they mind if I put the divider up and no one ever refuses.

it doesn’t cost anything to be polite. if someone had done what you experienced I probably would have thought that was a bit rude too... for a split second and then forgotten about it!
I like the style, but the risk is what if they say no? Then what do you do?

It is a little like exercising your right to recline in WT or WT+ - some say the etiquette is to ask the person behind first - but again, what if they say no?

I think it is very tricky. For me, I simply smile and then raise the screen.
missdimeaner and AnaTravel like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:25 pm

My last A380 flight the up mechanism was disengaged until seat belt sign was switched off whilst airborne.
Every attempt to get it to stay up after the safety video failed, which I found quite annoying.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:28 pm

Due to a BA technical problem my husband and I ended up with CW seats that we would never have chosen. My husband was in a middle seat with two screens on either side. I didn't mind the seat as much as it felt quite private but it made him feel claustrophobic. Never have I seen him so unhappy on a plane. Worse, the flight was full. If there is a stranger opposite me I have no issues whatsoever if they choose to raise the divider. Nor do I care if other passengers acknowledge me before raising the screen. Most people seem to want peace and privacy. The art of engaging or disengaging from conversation in these situations takes a little practice. A smile can go along way.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think this may be standard on the A380?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:42 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I think this may be standard on the A380?
yes, I don’t think the screens are energised until after take off usually on the a380.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
As soon as the safety briefing is over, up goes the divider.

I don't like the A380s as they don't allow the divider to go up till after take off, and they put them down for landing. No one wants to look at me for longer than necessary.
LTN Phobia and patersoj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.