Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to offshore pilots [Baseless Rumour Alert]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to offshore pilots [Baseless Rumour Alert]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by KARFA
BA has many non British pilots already. If you think you have never been flown by any you aren’t paying attention
And gender diversity in the trade.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:47 pm
Suspended

1. BA is no longer an attractive pilot employer
+
2. Etihad is in difficulties and laying pilots off
=
3. Recruitment roadshow in AD.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:06 pm

While I am sure BA recruits from all corners of the world, I cannot remember flying a single time with them where the flight crew did not sound British.
I recall one MAN-LHR flight where the flight deck made an announcement to the effect that we would be leaving the ground "momentarily". It turned out that the person in question was Canadian.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Probably more skilled pilots based out of the Middle East than anywhere else these days.

Its a perfectly logical place to hold a recruitment event. Especially for people who travel for a living. Loads of pilots and crew (of BA and other airlines, live abroad and commute to the UK to fly out)
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by icegirl
...to fly out to the Emirates to on such a campaign begs the questions, does nobody want to fly BA aircraft as there are better airlines to work for even now for pilots?
Ummm, many pilots have always wanted to work for BA; it's pretty much your dream job. Historically BA rarely had many direct entry pilot positions, so many would-be BA pilots had to cut their teeth somewhere else. ME3 offered generous tax-free packages to help crew their burgeoning fleets, and frankly it was a lot more glamorous than day trips from Stansted to secondary European airports... Then, ooops, Etihad lost $3.5 billion and therefore had to cut planes and cut pilots - one British pilot I know of traded Etihad 787s for Jet2 737s just to come home. Meanwhile many BA pilots are nearing retirement, so there's an increased need for recruitment. Hence Abu Dhabi would be a pretty smart place to go hunting for pilots right now. It's not rocket science.
Scots_Al and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:06 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

The ME3 carried on recruiting during the "crash" of 2008 (and beyond). The offer of a half decent wage (tax-free), free accommodation, free schooling for kids, car allowance etc. made a lot of Brits & Yanks (plus others) move over there. It was great - good weather, expat community etc., everyone's a winner.

10 years later, the US and European airlines are recruiting again. Now, everyone that moved over suddenly hates the place, and can't wait to get back to "civilisation". The poor souls hate working 90 hours a month (although it was fine when they moved over there).

No doubt they'll all miss the lifestyle and want to move back once the next downturn occurs.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:16 pm

Why else would you hold a recruitment fair abroad for a role?

Maybe

I disagree this is could end up being the same as the Mixed Fleet v Legacy crew argument.
BA recently had a recruiting roadshow in Hong Kong. Who do you think that was aimed at. QF are poaching as many CX pilots as possible as payback for the kybosh being put on Jetstar Hong Kong.

it goes on all the time.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
While I am sure BA recruits from all corners of the world, I cannot remember flying a single time with them where the flight crew did not sound British.

I once only heard a Spanish accent on BA, it’s on the ATC recording of the BA85 accident at LHR.
BA85 accident?
do you mean BA38? Which was the Spanish accent on that ATC recording?!

(won’t post the YouTube link here as I know it’s a touchy subject)
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:44 pm

With respect, I would Google the term offshoring.
LTN Phobia and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:53 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Presumably also Doha is just, as well as all these other factors, quite a nice central hub for people to travel into for a roadshow. It makes logistical sense alongside the ME3 poaching angle....
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by nancypants

BA85 accident?
do you mean BA38? Which was the Spanish accent on that ATC recording?!

(won’t post the YouTube link here as I know it’s a touchy subject)
Apologies I meant BA38 and the Spanish accent was a BA aircraft holding on the ground. Remembered it as I saw that video only a few weeks ago after reading an interview of the tower controller who was on duty that day.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Maybe
I disagree this is could end up being the same as the Mixed Fleet v Legacy crew argument.
They're not offshoring, they're poaching qualified Emirates, Cathay and Etihad pilots. It's all over pprune, no suggestion it's anything more than standard going out to get the right people, who will be based in London as per the norm.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Although icegirl has got the wrong end of the stick on this, one only has to look at the Merchant Fleet to see that recruiting foreign crew to work on British registered ships or maybe that should be ex British registered deep sea ships is now the norm.
BA have taken steps to avoid such a thing happening although I certainly wouldn't rule it out in the future.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Takiteasy

Apologies I meant BA38 and the Spanish accent was a BA aircraft holding on the ground. Remembered it as I saw that video only a few weeks ago after reading an interview of the tower controller who was on duty that day.
must confess I interpreted that as a Scottish accent!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
The poor souls hate working 90 hours a month (although it was fine when they moved over there).
except the fact that the working condition have greatly deteriorated over the past 10 years. I have several friends that recently left Emirates for U.S. airlines. Emirates increased the max flight hours to 100. Then they said that hours out of the seat don't count (no other airline does this). So long-haul pilots are logging 130+ hours per month, which is 40-50% more than pilots at BA or AA or similar. They left because it was untenable.
LTN Phobia and nancypants like this.

Last edited by Prospero; Feb 14, 2019 at 1:27 pm Reason: Repair quotation frame

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.