Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Switch reward booking from LGW to LHR?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Question Switch reward booking from LGW to LHR?

Hi all,

I haven't redeemed any Avios on short haul for ages, so a little rusty. We are headed to the Apls next winter, and with 6 of us travelling I need to be organised. With plenty of reward availability, I got our outbound sorted out no issues - ABZ-LHR-GVA. For the return, which opened up today, there is only availability GVA-LGW-LHR-ABZ, which is less than ideal and will not go down very well at home. If I book GVA-LGW-LHR-ABZ, can I easily change online to a GVA-LHR flight should availability open up?

As it would be £600 in RFS charges for a return trip using Avios, I checked the cash price of the trip, but ba.com is only giving me H class on the return leg (regardless of the number of travellers - tried with 1 and 6, and no difference in fare bucket) - would the discounted fares get loaded later?

Thanks!
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:28 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by expatboy
Hi all,

I haven't redeemed any Avios on short haul for ages, so a little rusty. We are headed to the Apls next winter, and with 6 of us travelling I need to be organised. With plenty of reward availability, I got our outbound sorted out no issues - ABZ-LHR-GVA. For the return, which opened up today, there is only availability GVA-LGW-LHR-ABZ, which is less than ideal and will not go down very well at home. If I book GVA-LGW-LHR-ABZ, can I easily change online to a GVA-LHR flight should availability open up?

As it would be £600 in RFS charges for a return trip using Avios, I checked the cash price of the trip, but ba.com is only giving me H class on the return leg (regardless of the number of travellers - tried with 1 and 6, and no difference in fare bucket) - would the discounted fares get loaded later?

Thanks!
Could you stay an extra day for less money if there is availabilty the next day?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
If I book GVA-LGW-LHR-ABZ, can I easily change online to a GVA-LHR flight should availability open up?
In a sense, yes: on the assumption that you're booking GLA-ABZ on a separate ticket from the outbound ABZ-GLA (which would normally be the recommended approach), you'd be easily able to book the new itinerary online and then cancelling the old itinerary, rather than formally changing the booking.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:39 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
I'm easily confused but presumably you are travelling 1Feb, which seems to have decent availability through LHR. If you had to, you could work out which leg is tight in the class you want and an possibly mix classes, or one segment or both.

You can change the routing, but if you book the inbound as oneway the taxes are £28. It's cheaper to cancel and rebook (forfeiting the £28) than to change (for £35). The only downside to this is if you cancel the whole trip: you'd have 12 bookings to cancel which more expensive than 6.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sunshinebob
Could you stay an extra day for less money if there is availabilty the next day?
Not easily - we'd need accommodation in Geneva, and the hassle and cost of that would outweigh the hassle of transferring from LGW to LHR.

Originally Posted by Globaliser
In a sense, yes: on the assumption that you're booking GLA-ABZ on a separate ticket from the outbound ABZ-GLA (which would normally be the recommended approach), you'd be easily able to book the new itinerary online and then cancelling the old itinerary, rather than formally changing the booking.
I have the outbound as a single booking, so am following recommended procedure . I will probably just suck it up and book via LGW and keep checking for the flights I actually want.

Originally Posted by pauldb
...I'm easily confused but presumably you are travelling 1Feb, which seems to have decent availability through LHR...
Correct, 1st Feb 2020. Weird - it's not showing me anything from GVA to LHR, only LGW. The LHR to ABZ segment is no issue at all.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Just wait a few days, this is really early.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Just wait a few days, this is really early.
I thought that it was generally best to try and get in early, but happy to wait.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:40 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Correct, 1st Feb 2020. Weird - it's not showing me anything from GVA to LHR, only LGW. The LHR to ABZ segment is no issue at all.
OK you're right - I think I fell for the website glitch on connecting flights: when you search for 1 passenger it implies plenty of seats, but search for 6 and it correctly shows you the LHR flights don't work.

All the GVA-LHR flights seem to have 4Y and 2J available. Not sure if you want Y or J but I'd probably split my party in preference to doing LGW-LHR. You can only book Y all the way through on ba.com or J all the way through, but if you call you can mix Y&J for each passenger as you prefer. Hope that makes sense: split for GVA-LHR but all be in the desired cabin LHR-ABZ.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I guess the other alternative is to book GVA-LGW-EDI or GLA and continue by rail, though I accept that is equally inconvenient. With 6 passengers I wonder if a mini van taxi would cost a lot per person.

If you have a shiny Gold card this would be perfect for a GPR, and then you can replace that with a conventional redemption if and when it comes up.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pauldb
...but I'd probably split my party in preference to doing LGW-LHR. You can only book Y all the way through on ba.com or J all the way through, but if you call you can mix Y&J for each passenger as you prefer. Hope that makes sense: split for GVA-LHR but all be in the desired cabin LHR-ABZ.
I would agree - I'll suck up ET with 3 of the kids with Mrs EB in Club with one of them.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I guess the other alternative is to book GVA-LGW-EDI or GLA and continue by rail, though I accept that is equally inconvenient. With 6 passengers I wonder if a mini van taxi would cost a lot per person.

If you have a shiny Gold card this would be perfect for a GPR, and then you can replace that with a conventional redemption if and when it comes up.
Rail is more inconvenient - the car will be in ABZ, and although fine on our own, I can't see Mrs EB putting up with this with the kids in tow. Regrettably I have never travelled frequently enough to attain Gold, although I was a regular SCH for a number of years. Now I'm a lowly Blue, thanks to the oil downturn!

Thanks for all the responses - I will see what else opens up, and probably split across cabins to avoid the schlep from LGW to LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.