Wiki Posts
Search

Linking two BA tickets together?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold
Linking two BA tickets together?

I booked two separate tickets, both on British Air. Bos to Lhr and later that day Lhr to Muc. Can I check my bag in Boston and collect in Munich? Or will I have to grab it go outside security and re-check in for my Munich flight? I did it this way because it was significantly cheaper than buying one ticket. If I decided to pack lighter and go with hand baggage, can I just transfer inside the secured zone? Or would I have to go out and then back in?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. No, you cannot link tickets. At least in the sense that you are speaking of or in a meaningful way worth discussing in the context of your question.
2. No, BA will not check your bags across separate tickets. You will need to allow enough time at LHR to go through passport control, retrieve your bag, take it to check in and then head back out to your onward flight. Remember that bag drop deadlines and conformance will apply to your onwards ticket and that if you are delayed on arrival, you will not be protected across tickets.
LondonElite likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by awcrounse
I did it this way because it was significantly cheaper than buying one ticket. If I decided to pack lighter and go with hand baggage, can I just transfer inside the secured zone?
If you want to do it cheaply, you may have to put up with the disadvantages.

If you don't have checked bags, then you should be able to make a direct airside connection without clearing immigration. You should probably be able to check-in online and have a boarding pass already in some form, but if not the transfer desk in the flight connections area should be able to print one for you before you head past the conformance point towards security.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by awcrounse
I booked two separate tickets, both on British Air. Bos to Lhr and later that day Lhr to Muc. Can I check my bag in Boston and collect in Munich? Or will I have to grab it go outside security and re-check in for my Munich flight? I did it this way because it was significantly cheaper than buying one ticket. If I decided to pack lighter and go with hand baggage, can I just transfer inside the secured zone? Or would I have to go out and then back in?
Whilst technically the answer is they won't check through, in practice there are plenty of reports that at outstations it is being done.

So whilst anticipating not I would definitely ask the question.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:25 pm

I flew TXL-LHR-JNB on separate tickets last year (the short haul was booked much later, wasn't originally planned) and my bag was checked through without problems, so worth asking. Definitely wouldn't rely on it though as policy is "no".

Also worth noting that you're on your own if your first flight is delayed
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
I would certainly go down the HBO route if you can do without the checked bag.

If you must have a checked bag then BA's short haul fares which include this are changeable on the day see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...change-ba.html, so you could change to a later departure to give yourself more time to retrieve and recheck if your request to through check is denied.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You will probably be aware that, with separate tickets, you have no protection for the second flight. In other words, if your flight to LHR is very late (you don't say how much time you have between flights) or cancelled, you'll be deemed a no-show for the MUC flight, which will result in that whole ticket being cancelled. I hope you have left a lot of time as a buffer. Usually it works out ok, but you need to be aware of the downsides.
Often1 likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 5:34 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by LondonElite
You will probably be aware that, with separate tickets, you have no protection for the second flight. In other words, if your flight to LHR is very late (you don't say how much time you have between flights) or cancelled, you'll be deemed a no-show for the MUC flight, which will result in that whole ticket being cancelled. I hope you have left a lot of time as a buffer. Usually it works out ok, but you need to be aware of the downsides.
So I'm guessing this is still the case as far as protection? Planning to book JFK-LHR-JFK paid business then onward LHR-DLM on a separate ticket with perhaps the DLM-LHR segment with Avios. Likely overnight in London but with all the recent schedule changes I'm concerned we'll somehow end up with a very different itinerary than the one we started out with. One with a same day connection.

Trying to understand my risks with respect to a delay causing a mis-connect
Old May 12, 2022, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by raiz
So I'm guessing this is still the case as far as protection? Planning to book JFK-LHR-JFK paid business then onward LHR-DLM on a separate ticket with perhaps the DLM-LHR segment with Avios. Likely overnight in London but with all the recent schedule changes I'm concerned we'll somehow end up with a very different itinerary than the one we started out with. One with a same day connection.

Trying to understand my risks with respect to a delay causing a mis-connect

Hi

Yes . There has been no change to policy so you still have a risk when on two tickets
Regards
tbs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.